Oblivion release date 'within a couple of weeks'

Then I must have misunderstood what you were saying. I was under the impression that you only had five points to distribute amongst skills per level. This makes it sound to me as if you’d need to focus on just a few skills for any chance of maxing them out. If you can still train them the old fashioned way through use, then I’m not sure what the point is of limiting training points or whatnot. Of course if it’s all simply to prevent abusing the trainers and affects nothing else, then… great, I guess.

That says to me that the radiant AI system is more about fancy schedules than actual AI.

Well… most people are stupid.

Getting way off-topic, but I disagree with that. Most people are actually at least fairly intelligent, they just choose not to use their brain. Take me, for example, I’m at least semi-intelligent, but I do stupid things all the time. And almost every single time it’s not because I’m stupid, it’s because I simply wasn’t using my head. Now whether or not that’s stupid, is another issue. :)

You don’t exactly count, since a lot of places like Qt3 and other intelligent discussion sites on the net have an extremely above average ratio of intelligent to stupid.

I’d rather they run around lighting their dogs on beating eachother up rather than just standing there waiting for the player to talk to them, like Morrowind. Of course, I’d prefer they act like real people too, but since that’s not likely, setting their dogs on fire will have to do.

Damnit! You put spoilers in the midst of your list of features!

One of the first things I plan to do when I get the game is simply to (discreetly) follow an NPC around that I haven’t interacted with around and see what they do. I’d like to see if they actually do go shopping, and practice their archery, and all that other stuff, or if that’s just press release, canned-demo stuff. I’m sincerely hoping the former.

I’m not a big modder (since the days of DOOM II, whew), but Oblivion’s AI makes me want to break out the modding tools. One idea I had is to create a whole town called “Villiage of Idiots” and just set the AI whacky. Maybe you could have a whole host of NPCs that are theives, or set to want to practice fire magic all the time, or any number of crazy things. Maybe you could have that guard go hunting and the others track him down. People getting in massive street fights, setting their dogs on fire, etc.

Now wouldn’t that be fun to watch.

What, the “single bad guy” thing? Is it really a spoiler that a CRPG has a big bad evil foozle at the end?

I don’t get why that’s in the list either, but I don’t think it’s worth gnashing one’s teeth over.

By “no names”, I literally mean, “no names” – just guard-types. All other NPCs won’t attack each other unless it’s part of a quest.

That’s not true – it’s basically intended to give them daily schedules and to act more realistically. It works well, by the way.

That’s right - it’s just to prevent you from basically “skipping the game”, as you could in Morrowind, by immediatelly training up all your skills to maximum.

I never understood that complaint about Morrowind. I knew you could do it and wasn’t really tempted because that would be skipping the game. It seems weird to restrict the game so that players can’t deliberately ruin their own experience.

Oh man – never underestimate the player’s ability to ruin his own experience and then blame it on the game. I’ve heard more than a few people say “BG2 sucked cause it was too easy.” only to find out that they cheated as much as they could.

Everyone goes on about that woman lighting that dog on fire.
Who says it was actually her dog?
What? Just because it was in her house it’s hers?
Maybe the dog is/wasan intruder.See actually the woman is that crazy old cat lady that every town seems to have.
Or maybe it was her dog and she’s just plain crazy.
Maybe the “dog” Radiant AI pissed on the kitchen table leg one too many times. …“That’s it spot, I told you, piss on the kitchen table one more time and I’m lighting your ass on fire”.
Was the dog rabid? Was it’s name Cujo or Old Yeller? If so ithad to be put down? We’ll never know.

Hmm, limitations in a single player game.

Ehh, was going to ask how is leveling handled then? If you are restricted as to how much training you can do per level, and how much you can advance skills through use.
What is to stop you from just going out and training/using and leveling quickly?

Gahhh, now I’m even more psyched up for the game.

PS. funny how in that Gaming Steve interview, he said “We couldn’t make different art for armor based on a fat/short tall/skinny ect combo”
Errrmm, why not?
Cause it would be too much extra work?Or would it overload the “limitations” of a certain system?

Fine, let’s assume that the combination of indoor archery and dog immolation is in fact a very funny joke that I just don’t understand, much like any other seemingly random juxtaposition of “location/fantasy activity, animal/violent act”-- say, subterranean jousting followed by donkey hobbling. I will give you that. You’re welcome.

However, the question was: Is it the only demonstration of the AI available online or not?

sweet, so a release date for a release date. :p

Well, to be perfectly honest I am very stoked. I can’t wait for this one to come out. :D

Fair enough.

Maybe it’s not a game for you? There’s no mushroom hopping and it has a Teen rating.

That sucks. So I guess we never get to see a tavern brawl, only start them with everyone versus us. Or a fight in the woods between two NPCs. Or observe highwaymen robbing someone and decide to help out (either side). Or any other neat little immersive flourishes.

Oh well. Maybe next game.

Actually saw both of those things (but you can’t choose to be on the side of the highwayman, although there are plenty of similar thieving/assassination missions)

He said before that stuff like that occurred; re: hunters etc. And it’s easy to mod in.