Obsidian and Paradox announce Tyranny, an Isometric RPG

It’s not a race Rock8man. Just enjoy the games you can at the pace your schedule allows. There are plenty of games to compete via leaderboards!

If it makes you feel better, I’m still on my first play through and I feel like I have a ways to go. Unless there isn’t a clear line between Act II and III like there was between the first and second, I’m still in Act II and I am 21 hours in. I am reading a lot, and soaking things in, but still, this is a much larger game than I had presumed.

Act III goes by rather quickly depending on the choices you make.

Just the setting unfortunately.

He isn’t trying to compete, he just wants to take part in the ongoing conversation when it would be meaningful to him. It’s more fun when a bunch of people are going through the same thing and you can discuss it on the boards.

I know that. I just know that he likes racing games and competing on those leaderboards. Just kind of a lame comment on my part.

Can I just say that I love that the game starts you off with a sense of urgency by having a time limit? I only have 7 days left to get the affairs of these slackers in order or Sauron will destroy us all. I love that. Ever since people reacted poorly to the time limit in Fallout 1, game designers have seemed very reluctant to ever put time limits on the player again, which is a shame IMHO. I love the sense of urgency it adds, and it makes the travel time between places on the big map actually relevant. It makes the order of what you’re doing feel important and have relevance. I wish more games did this.

Timer is very generous here though. I faffed around a lot and still had 6 days left when I finished the quest.

I just made it through the battle for what I assume is the end of Act 1 and I’m not sure what choice I should make.

I’ve been favoring the Dishonored, but I just got the choice to say it’s my honor to be a part of this battle to take the Ascension Hall, or to betray the alliance and claim the spire and the valley. I’m tempted to betray, but I’m not sure.

I made a certain role playing decision at the end of Act 1 that effectively sealed up role playing for the rest of the game. The result was that the game went from a game sort of like Torment to a game more like Icewind Dale, only without the varied bestiary to keep it fresh. Now I’m just sort of shambling from fight to identical fight and I don’t think I’m really interested in finishing. I’m disappointed.

That doesn’t sound good. Can you put that choice in spoilers here?

OK quoting myself on changing party members. I now have 5 possible to choice from. When I went back to the spire, the one was still partial invisible but the new member was solid. I could talk to the solid one but not the partially invisible one. Once I talked to the solid one I could make changes as needed and the partially invisible became solid. I believe I changed party members before I had the spire so he must have been stuck somewhere.

It’s interesting that you can simultaneously have positive and negative rep with a faction or companion, and that it can be hard to tell whether something will get you negative rep or lose you positive rep (they’re not the same!). Also, it’s really not appropriate for the skulduggerous legalistic diplomat/mage I’m playing, but I love that most conversations seem to have an option [Glare silently]. I am tempted to see if you can go through the entire game just glaring at people and never talking. (I suspect not. I bet you have to actually speak the Edict(s?).)

My character is a 1 handed + shield with Verse, the big Dishonored guy and the old wizard guy. The battles seem to take a little long, but I’m playing on hard. I can’t say the battles have been that interesting. I like that they have fewer combatants then they did in Pillars, but so far the enemies are rather dull. I just finished Act 1.

I wonder if my love for this style game is waning. Even though I did like Pillars quite a bit in my memories I enjoyed Baldur’s Gate 1 and 2 a lot more overall. I do like how often Pillars had skill checks in the dialog though. I have to say I liked Pillars more than I’m liking Tyranny so far. The setting is OK and the world more visually appealing but it’s missing something.

I wonder if some of the appeal with Baldur’s Gate is that I remember skills and spells being more varied, but it has been a long time since I played them.

Anyone tried this with the Steam Controller?

Ew, gross, why!?

Because I’d like to play from my couch.

I know the game doesn’t support the gamepad, and I’m really missing that support. For a game that I’m playing for the story, in story mode, it’s annoying to me that I have to play with the mouse and keyboard. Having 360 controller support and letting me sit back and just enjoy would have been ideal.

I suspect Steam Controller adoption would take lots of configuration finangling.

(major spoiler)

What the fuck, Obsidian. Didn’t expect they’d actually allow this, I was ready for a plot intervention but nope.

There is a way around that but it only pops up in certain circumstances.