Obsidian and Paradox announce Tyranny, an Isometric RPG

I’d also like to know if there are any good Steam Controller configurations.

Aw crap. I just got a bug where a prisoner I saved keeps saying there are still enemies in the fort, when in fact there are not. I can’t continue.

I am still in Act II. Not sure how far I am, feels like half way-ish, but not sure.

Something I wanted to mention based on my experience on Hard. If you haven’t played POE I wanted to point out how important the talents that add additional engagement slots are. Barik is probably your tank unless your PC is, and his two talents that add additional engagements are probably his best two talents. That said, in Tyranny the enemies seem more willing to break engagement and suffer a disengagement attack than the enemies in POE. That could just be my memory of POE though.

Also wanted to say that Lore is a great skill. Maybe the best. It has a ton of conversation options and also is what determines what kinds of spells your characters can learn. So even if you are a melee/ranged focused PC, high lore helps you a ton in that it allows you to use spells that get better as your Lore increases. I have read a few reviews where people felt like a Magic focused PCs were boring…I am playing a ranged PC, but I say that being able to also slot spells based on Lore has been very helpful especially with the mana-less, cooldown based combat system.

That’s good because my PC is ranged/magic focused.

I don’t find magic pc boring. If anything the game super pushes you to focus on magic.

Yeah, my magic focused main character has a lore of 160 or so with all bonuses applied, and the spells I can deliver are just devastating and satisfying. It’s incredible.

This is also a lot longer game than I thought. I feel like I’m finally moving into the final show down/story beat before the end, but those talking about it ending abruptly must have made some crazy story choices (or I did) because I feel like everything is wrapping up nicely. I’m at like 28 or so hours. There were many, many ways things can clearly play out (there is an entire section of the map my adventures never took me to, probably several sections and locations) and sticking with the Dishonored has been satisfying, sometimes hard actually, and I’m really loving where things go narrative-wise by the end of the third act. It’s pretty neat, if not a little predictable in hind sight (what isn’t).

I’m very interested in playing a second game, see where things go this next time, but probably after I get through my Corvo/non-lethal play through of Dishonored 2.

I really hated the Oldwalls Breach dungeon. Specific quest was A Breach Between Worlds. Super irritating.

Yeah, the Oldwall dungeons were my least favorite part of the game - not very interesting puzzles, and the enemies got pretty tiresome quickly. I was relieved when the last few spires didn’t require any sort of Oldwall dungeon type of deal, that’s for sure.

Tyranny wrapped last night, 29 hours in and it was amazing. Satisfying conclusion that could easily lead into a sequel (or expansion, I suppose) so I better keep this save game around. The last few hours I was impatient to wrap things up, but I blame Dishonored 2 for that, not Tyranny. Over all it was a magnificent RPG on every level, from satisfying combat to engaging dialog, I can’t really think of too many criticisms other than maybe enemy variety or Oldwall stuff (not all Oldwall stuff, just some specific moments that I wish I’d known you have to come back for, or puzzles that took me way too long to figure out).

Mechanically, from Spires to Leveling Up the game is rock solid, and I am just pumped as hell to start a new play through, but I will wait a bit and let this first play though settle in my mind first.

Unfortunately, that is an effect of only having 4 characters max in a party. I don’t know why recent RPGs do this. D:OS, Shadowrun Returns and its sequels, Wasteland 2, etc…

Urgggh, I see why you don’t like the OldWalls Breach / Dungeon. Man I did all that and I have to come back to finish? Not fun.

4 is the sweet spot for me. 3-4, depending on the type of game and combat system.

Speaking of combat systems - after getting to terms with it in Tyranny I went back to PoE and I’m actually enjoying it now. So yeah…thanks Tyranny!

Has anyone found that the items you can build at the forge in a spire is worth building? I’ve collected a bunch of materials and was pretty excited to make something, but was disappointed when I returned to the spire. I keep reading the descriptions and stats and they don’t seem that different from what I’m using. Some of the artifacts have some potentially interesting abilities, but as a whole they seem underwhelming.

The artifacts are. The non artifacts… not so much.

I think you get access to item crafting too late in the game for any non artifact to be worth crafting.

Obviously it depends on your party, but so far i’ve seen two items that basically any decent party is going to use.

Yeah I second that. The Artifacts are worth making. Situationally of course. As in if you can use the Artifact you can build, its probably better than what you are currently using.

It feels like I’ve been in Act 2 forever. I just finished up Storm Sentinel Stand Keep. How much longer do I have left? I think I’ve got about 30 hours of playtime already.

I just finished it. I say that loosely though as from talking to a friend who did a different path, there are three (or more, but probably three) major paths you can take which greatly change how the game plays out.

I really liked it. It is a strong GOTY contender if you like rpgs in my opinion.

I ran in to almost no “bugs.” I do believe i ran in to one bug and/or a poorly scripted quest line. Near end game for me a quest was closed off for seemingly no reason when i did a separate, unrelated one.

I feel like an asshole for some of the choices i made and not because i was forcing an old woman to pay me an extra 200 credits to save her son. The game has you doing some truly shitty things and that is how i feel i know it succeeded in being “Evil.”

During some of the interviews I saw, they stated four specifically.

Yeah, it’s super impressive, between the very polished (even for such a deep RPG, I was impressed) state of the game at launch and how much fun the changes were to the mechanics and combat from Pillars. Such a vast and interesting story - I can’t wait to play it again and go a completely different direction.

Just FYI – at the end of act I – there are two obvious choices. And then there is the third choice…

NVM I saw that you all are already on top of that.

Still loving this game but in Act II and I am having to deal with some situations that I think Obsidian could have handled better. Without getting too spoilerish, there are at least two factions that I have to wipe out to continue playing. I don’t like it.

Yeah, I wish there were more actual choices. The story is the thing that keeps me playing. We do have some agency, but I’d like more (after the beginning world setup questions). I know it would start getting crazy to deal with too many permutations with story paths.

In many respects I think the game made some good changes over Pillars. I do like the stories in both games. I prefer the spires over the castle in Pillars. While I like the 4 party members over 6, the combat has been boring and repetitive in Tyranny. What a bland set of enemies so far - I think I’m like 80% done with Act 2. This may be last purchase at release for this type of game because I am struggling to want to continue despite the good story.

As a whole I liked Pillars more, but maybe that wouldn’t be the case if I played Pillars after Tyranny.