Obsidian and Paradox announce Tyranny, an Isometric RPG

So, uh, this is a thing:
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/96095287212973535/63BD380F41E108E08B28DA398E1AEA027C90B93F/

It’s only at half mast, you can take it.

Ha. What map is that? I didn’t see that in my play through.

Lethian’s Crossing. I think the brothel’s only there if you made a particular choice during Conquest.

I got the brothel but not that character. Maybe it’s a confluence of specific choices?

Huh. I guess it must be.

This game really tries my patience with that initial load time. It takes as long as The Witcher 3. But unlike Witcher 3, they don’t even have rotating messages for you to read while it’s loading. I enjoy the game when I play it, but the next day my first thought is “well, I could play Tyranny, but then I’ll mostly be looking at the loading screen, so I’ll play something else first”.

That’s Unity for you.

Yeah, long initial loads are a real enthusiasm killer for me too. It’s a big reason I never really got into Shogun 2: Total War. Tyranny’s good enough to get me over that hump, though.

Not sure if trolling… ;)

Not that I’m aware of…? A lot of Unity games have long loading times, even when installed on SSD.

Well, it’s common around here to blame Unity whenever a game using it has problems, and to make ridiculous generalisations. :)

In this case however, there does seem to be a specific Unity bug that can cause loading to hang for a while:

We’ve determined that there is a Unity issue that was fixed for Pillars of Eternity, but has since regressed to a non-working state in the newer version of Unity we’re using for Tyranny. The problem is that the mechanism we’re using to load character portrait art (and potentially a few other things) from disk can also be used to download files from servers. Because of this, Unity queries the Windows Proxy Settings for the currently logged-in user prior to deciding that it needs to load the file from disk instead. On some users’ machines, the contents of the Windows Network Connections will include entries generated by third-party software such as LogMeIn Hamachi and VMWare. The Windows function that Unity uses to get the Proxy Settings for the user tends to hang for long periods of time if it encounters one of those third-party network connections. It’s probably not able to get what it wants and just ends up waiting for a timeout. I suggest looking in Control Panel → Network and Sharing Center to see if there are any network connections added by third-party software. If there are, try disabling them to see if it fixes the problem. Please let us know what you find.
(INCREDIBLY slow loading times (Workaround available) | Paradox Interactive Forums)

By loading, do you mean booting the game up originally, or restoring a saved game? When I first start it up it takes a long time if I do nothing, but a mouse click takes me to the main menu almost immediately.

Now loading a game, however…

There is a Conquest choice on Lethian’s Crossing that allows you to draft a tribe of beastmen into the Scarlet Chorus. You need that and hand over governance to the Chorus for the third choice.

BTW, new patch is out.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/tyranny-patch-notes-1-0-2-0021.985677/

Does the AI really piss anyone off? It drives me nuts. I have my guys in stealth, and then I have 1sat dude attack someone to the left. Then I have 2nd dude attack the guy on the right. I also tell them to use their special attacks.

Then I start and they start moving toward their targets, then combat starts, and one of them will then change targets moving from left to right. Oh, and if there are traps in the way, traps I had moved them around, they will just run right over them.

Also I the back 2 long range guys will not fucking stay on the same target. Ill be like, shoot the mage in the back. Then 2 rounds later they have switched targets. I put them back on the mage, and a little while later, they have changed targets again. Its driving me nuts.

I also hate the fact that they have special abilities that are NOT on cooldown, yet only occasionally use them. Oh, that frost bolt spell that does 5x the damage my my default attack? No thanks.

A neat Easter egg courtesy of Reddit:

LOL that’s excellent.

That’s a nice touch :-)

I have a question for people who have completed the game more than once. Is going with a different faction really that different? Song vs Disfavored or Rebel vs the other two? I do not know how far I am into the game, but it seems like I may be finishing it soon. I am currently very loyal to the disfavored and to kyros, and I want to stick with that as long as possible despite the increasing frequency of dialog choices where Ill rebel.

For my next play-though I was considering being a super nice guy and joining the rebels asap, but only if its a sufficiently different experience. I mean if I am fighting the same battles over and over, only instead of a rebel faction its one of the others, (effectively just a different looking enemy in the same place), then I may not want another play-through.

Also, I have 3 spires now and a fair amount of “power”. The game never explains what to do with this “power”, only that I have a lot of it. Did I miss something somewhere?