Obsidian and Paradox announce Tyranny, an Isometric RPG

That’s what I was thinking. Hopefully this is them wanting to put resources into making this an even bigger, better experience bundled into something more folks will buy. It’s a damned good game, and deserves better.

It’s probably because Obsidian already had 1 or 2 DLC/mini-exps in production when the base game came out. Maybe they were even planned to be released as part of the base game but Paradox suggested otherwise.

Hopefully it’s not a few character portraits for $4.

I can’t see anyone doing a dramatic countdown type of thing for that.

I think I read a few times that 1 or 2 acts that were originally planned for the game were cut, so perhaps this is them being added back. The Paradox suggestion would make sense.

The Bastard’s Wound is expected later in 2017. In advance of the expansion, Obsidian is also releasing a new “Event Pack” called Tales from the Tiers. It will include a host of new events for players to encounter in the game’s overworld, “encounters and stories that can pop up when the player is traveling from place to place. These events include meeting rebels, hostile ambushes, itinerant merchants, and the perils of travel in a land ensorcelled by Edicts.”

Also, Tyranny is on sale on Steam now. $22.49 USD for base game, $23.99 for Archon Edition, and $31.99 for Overlord Edition. Probably won’t see it much lower than that for a while.

I prefer Tyranny’s focused gameplay and story to Pillars obscure story and messier gameplay. But it seems to be clear Pillars is the Obsidian world. And Tyranny (and this is a rare thing to say) was just too short.

With Pillars the game improved through expansions and (while sill a bit muddy) will enable you to bring your Pillars 1 character and story to Pillars 2. Long and unwieldy though it is, it would appear that these expansions for Tyranny are drops in the isometric proverbial bucket compared to Pillars sprawling epic-ness.

Did that even make sense?

Yes, and I agree. PoE really suffered from a story that never got going, and areas that never felt like they segued nicely into each other or formed a cohesive world that you could lose yourself in. I think PoE was my disappointment of 2015. I bought the expansions last year after finally beating the game on my second playthrough and I simply couldn’t force myself to start them

There are days where I consider diving into an isometric RPG/CRPG again, just to scratch that itch.

But which one is worth the time today?

Pillars? Tyranny? Torment? Wasteland? The Enhanced infinity engine titles?

The only one I’ve played the in the last few years has been Icewind Dale 1. I loved the no-nonsense raw combat-focussed gameplay. Was hoping for more when it was done. A pity that IE2 is the only one of the original set (BG1/2, IE, PST) that has been passed on for the “Enhanced” treatment.

Does it have to be a party rpg? If not I’d recommend UnderRail ;). Especially since you wrote [quote=“quarryman, post:390, topic:78333”]
I loved the no-nonsense raw combat-focussed gameplay
[/quote]

Other than that I’d go with Pillars to be honest. I’m playing BG1EE right now and while the UI improvements are great and I’m now much more comfortable with the AD&D I still find myself pining for the many modern improvements that Pillars bring to the table. It’s one of those rare titles that manages to bring complexity and depth without ever overwhelming you.

I can’t recommend Underrail, it’s too unfocused and you spend a silly amount of time managing inventory and trekking across places you’ve already been. It’s also still somewhat buggy (a given for heavily scripted quests I guess) and the story never really goes anywhere.

Combat is enjoyable enough, but you need to cheese to win difficult fights.

Nobody else seems to like it much, but I’d like to throw in a recommendation for Sword Coast Legends. I really enjoyed its single player campaign – just felt like a good crunchy D&D romp, with nice modern graphics. It held my attention all the way through, which I can’t even say for Pillars (though that one is certainly worth playing).

I bought SC:L but never actually played it, to my great shame. Well, moderate shame.

I’d say Pillars.

Maybe Wasteland 2 if you prefer the setting and having guns over magic (or turn based vs real time with pause).

The Bastard’s Wound is coming on 9/7 for $15, along with a free patch that will expand the third act and offer additional voice acting.

As mentioned above, it will add a new area to the game (rather than be post-game content) which will have all sorts of new quests, NPC’s, and further expand the story of three of the companions (Lantry, Barik, and Verse - ironically the three I used in my play through, assuming I still have that save game laying around…?)

Excellent. I’ve been holding off a bit (trying to finish Pillars of Eternity; struggling with White March 2 difficulty) but I started Tyranny and it looked good, to be honest. I heard the ending was weak - I hope this improves on it.

I don’t completely remember the ending, just bits and pieces, and of course there are a lot of different paths/endings through the game but the one I had I recall enjoying and being confused by that specific criticism. YMMV.

Even better. I need to wrap up POE soon then.

I don’t really feel there is much wrong with the ending of Tyranny from a narrative standpoint. The thing that confused me (and I think others) is a major mechanic is introduced about 15 minutes before the game ends. It’s just so /weird/. You gain this entirely new (and significant) ability, use it once, and the game ends.

The story ends up just fine, but it’s the flow of “Dual Wielding unlocked! -> [fight one guy] -> Game over!” that’s so insane.