Obsidian and Paradox announce Tyranny, an Isometric RPG

That’s because you’re basically undergoing apotheosis at the end of the game. You’re given a power to use for very specific purpose.

Not quite on the same level as dual wielding.

Haven’t touched this game since Feb, so tried picking up where I left off and within 5 minutes I was smothering a baby with a blanket.

Yeah, perhaps not my cup of tea. Though perhaps some credit is deserved for not engaging in Bioware-esque convo option snark as the height of black-blooded villainy.

i liked that they handled evil differently than was typical in most games. Generally evil just means that after you rescue someone’s grandmother you get 20% more gold. The problem with that of course is that most people don’t want to be the evil person in their games.

The hotlinks in chat were innovative and greatly missed when I went back to PoE.

There are definitely some design changes from PoE I hope Deadfire incorporates.

Meh. Looks to be more of the same, which was the real problem with Tyranny IMHO. The game and combats quickly felt like just more of the same even on the first playthrough. If I could have scripted my buff up sequence it would have helped a little. Then I just started my standard spell / ability rotations until everyone was dead. Rinse and repeat for the next encounter of faceless enemies.

Yep. That’s precisely why I prefer Fallout 4’s combat over this. Since I find the actual act of rinsing and repeating very enjoyable in that game. But it gets boring in games like Baldur’s Gate, Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny. The only infinity engine type games I played where that wasn’t the case was Icewind Dale. They somehow kept the combat really interesting.

You had different kinds of enemies and utility spells. Like you could summon monsters, charm enemies, lay down oil slicks or webs, etc… All that is missing from this game. I also recall, in some areas you could really use the terrain to your advantage, which again was missing from these modern games. They should take a page from Divinity Original Sin. That is a newish game and that combat never felt repetitive. I was frequently trying new tricks or puzzling out how to tackle an encounter.

I feel like I’m missing some context when It comes to the game. I’ve been playing for about 15 hours now (I know I’m kinda late on playing the game) and have just unlocked my second spire but I still don’t fully grasp the setting of Tyranny.

Spoilers ahead.

My largest source of frustration and confusion so far is the civil war that just started.

I backed up the Disfavored throughout the conquest choices and told Graven Ashe that he should be cautious about the Voices of Nerat. Graven Ashe told me he suspected the Scarlet Chorus of backstabbing his men and killing his son. The Voices of Nerat “replayed” Graven Ashe’s son’s torture during their arguing. In terms of reputation, I nearly had full favor with the Disfavored and had a favor of around 3 with Graven Ashe. So when the time came to pick one of the two to lead the assault on the Vendrien’s Well, I chose the Scarlet Chorus thinking that maybe it would reveal some more of the Voices of Nerat’s plots and save the Disfavored from getting screwed by the Scarlet Chorus once more. But of course, what happened was now the Disfavored hate me and want to kill me on sight and Graven Ashe wants to murder me as well and now I’m forced to cooperate with the Scarlet Chorus.

Is this simply a case of me not understanding the context and setting of Tyranny or perhaps I simply missed something obvious? Or is this a case of RPG writing where the writer has a specific perception of how choices should play out but the player (me in this case) is seeing things from a different angle?

My other issue is that I wanted to roleplay an obedient and exemplary fatebinder, but I’m having difficulty doing so because I don’t really know what the ethics are in this evil setting and I don’t know what Tunon expects from me.

I’m also finding this Spire business very jarring. I was sent to help subdue a rebellion of Vendrien’s Well but now I have claimed some magic spire that apparently is super old and that nobody knows anything about. Did I miss some lore before hand that established the existence of these spires?

I think you’re railroaded in this choice - there’s no real way of staying ‘neutral’.

Tunon - so far at least - expects you to be unquestioning, obedient, and maintain order and ‘justice’. I think that is pretty clear. But a great deal of the game is about you forging your own path, often against expectations.

There’s some lore, but it’s not laid out for you. Personally I don’t mind the fairly minimal exposition, but I can see it being jarring if you’re not used to that approach.

Right, but in this crazy world, what does “justice” look like? And beyond that, what is socially acceptable (or expected) behavior?

If I see someone kicking a puppy, should I stop them or or join in?

What kind of question is that? You go John Wick on his ass. No one kicks a puppy. No one.

I think Tunon wouldn’t care, the Dishonoured might say stop it, and the Chorus might kill that someone for laughs.

In the context of Tunon, “justice” means “whatever Kyros says it is”. You can talk to Tunon and get a lot of details on the various laws that are relevant.

Yeah I’m supposed to talk with Tunon soon so that should clear some stuff up.

Apparently a lot of abilities or spells now have a buggy description where the word “stolen” has been mistakenly added?

Just a reminder, Amazon Prime members who have a linked Twitch account can claim a “free” copy of Tyranny today on Twitch.

Just login to the website (not any of the apps), and claim it from the rewards drop down.

That does not include the DLC, does it?

No idea, I’m on my phone so haven’t redeemed yet.

Just finished this game after 26 hours, have to say it was as close to perfect as I can imagine in this format.

Story that was just detailed enough that I stuck with reading nearly everything thrown at me, combat interesting and infrequent enough that I never felt I was grinding, cheesing it or ultra powerful (save maybe one or two battles at the end), graphics just good enough that they hold up in this format of isometric, and most critically length and replay value just right - I can actually see myself replaying this with a totally different character/party/choices in the future without dreading the time sink. Well done, Obsidian.

My only gripe is the inventory - I wish there was a easy way to show if there is any similar (e.g. light helmet) piece of equipment that is worth more than the current item equipped. Instead I need to mouse over every item in my inventory, for every character, comparing what is green and red. Lot’s of conceptually easy improvements.