Oceans 8 - Oceans 11 minus 3, but a lot more women

It’s a spin-off of the Ocean’s movies. 8 June, 2018

Sandra Bullock plays Debbie Ocean, the sister of George Clooney’s character. Cate Blanchett is Lou; Rihanna plays “Nine Ball”; Mindy Kaling is Amita; Awkwafina stars as Constance; Helena-Bonham Carter is Rose; Anne Hathaway is Daphne Kluger; and Sarah Paulson stars as Tammy. Damian Lewis plays Bullock’s ex.

Directed by Gary Ross.

W.T.F.

I looked her up and watched some videos on YouTube and well… I wish I hadn’t.

Yeah, I hadn’t heard of her either until now.

I did the same thing as @arrendek. I too wish I hadn’t.

Sounds like the best thing about the cast is Damian Lewis, who’s been great in everything I’ve seen him in.

Have you seen Dreamcatcher? Weren’t nobody great in that one.

And I resent him for Homeland going bad, even though that totally wasn’t his fault as an actor.

Pshaw! Damian Lewis as an American’s bad impression of a British valet being done by an alien shit-weasel was exquisite.

Don’t do what he did. Your sanity will suffer. As did mine.

I’m out!.. no Melissa McCarthy.

Movie is getting positive reviews.

“Ocean’s 8” is easily the best film in the franchise so far. Replacing the men with women allows the film to capitalize on the strengths of its predecessors while also jettisoning many of their weaknesses. “Ocean’s Eleven” (2001), “Oceans’ Twelve” (2004) and “Ocean’s Thirteen” (2007) were all just practice runs for the real heist, a multi-film preparation for the women of “Ocean’s 8” to steal the franchise’s mantle, once and for all.

The film’s most daring sleight-of-hand, however, is the most obvious. The pretense is that Sandra Bullock is playing Danny Ocean’s sister, but really she’s playing George Clooney. And while Clooney playing a suave, confident idealized vision of Clooney is impressive, Bullock playing Clooney backwards and in heels is something else again.

It was pretty darn fun. The family and I went and saw it Saturday to a pretty empty Saturday afternoon theater, which was odd. I wonder how well it did over the weekend? I also have a … serious concern over a story element I won’t get into, but was in the trailer. Confusing af.

I saw this today with 10 other folks, all ladies this time around. and they mostly enjoyed it. It’s really not my thing, and I was only partially entertained with the other 3. There were moments though when it kept my attention and… I really enjoyed the cast.

Went with the wife. There were a lot of older women in the audience that laughed quite often but neither of us were very impressed.

My friend dragged me to this for a 9AM showing. 9AM. I had no idea the theater even opened at 9. I thought 10 was the earliest, but it was for a B-day so I went. The others who really enjoyed it said they enjoyed the other Oceans, and I just never did. The way they started and ended it though, makes me think there could be another one later with a… larger cast.

I’m one of those freaks who thinks 12 is probably the best out of the modern three. The scene where Julia Roberts pretending to be Tess pretending to be Julia Roberts back again is so meta, it is just too funny. It is like Deadpool breaking the fourth wall, but without ever winking or talking to the camera. 13 jumped the shark for sticking too close to the 11 formula. 12 twisted for just the right amount to be different.

So when people say 8 is like 12 I think it is a compliment not a dig. I’m probably going to see it on rental thought.

That’s the only scene I really enjoyed in the whole Oceans movie series. (I haven’t seen the latest one yet).

My wife and I spent more time arguing about Clooney’s character than talking about anything else in the movie - I don’t think this is spoiler material, because it happens early on, but Sandra Bullock visits the gravesite where Clooney’s character, her brother, is apparently interred. But then she says, “you better be in there.” What the hell? My wife was saying wait, when did he die? And I’m saying maybe he didn’t…? It seems like you might almost expect a twist, a quick cameo, but nope. In the end she mixes a martini back at his gravesite and says, “You would’ve loved it.” We didn’t know what to make of that.

My friends who saw this with me, aka dragged me to it, say he faked his death in one of the other ones. Maybe I didn’t see the last tone… don’t recall.