October 2014: The Wallet Apocolypse

Well, the reviews for Alien are out, and though it sounds appealing (especially from the Eurogamer review), it also commits the cardinal sin that I cannot abide: it’s too long. Both good and bad reviews agree the game is too long and overstays its welcome. Seriously? 25 hours? I’ve been playing Destiny since launch, and I haven’t even spent close to 25 hours in that game yet. Now can you imagine trying to maintain narrative coherency for that long? Anyway, I’m tossing that one into the “maybe when it’s less than $5” pile.

Short games, I can buy at launch. Long games can wallow in my wishlist until they’re cheap, then wallow in my backlog. Pfffft. /rant.

How is Destiny holding up for you and your group? My friends who mostly console game, aren’t playing it much anymore.

Holding up really well. They’re all in the upper level 20s. 27, 28ish, while I’m still at level 20, and stuck on the first Mars mission on Hard 22.

They can play it a lot more than me, since they don’t have spouses who are anti-gaming. In fact, I can even hear their spouses say hi to me when we’re playing, over the mic. Whereas when my wife gets home, I say “Thiswasfunokthnxbye. Xbox Off. Yes”.

I’m a little bit burned by it, but that’s because I binged in a way I seldom do anymore…

Luckily my spouse is so tolerant of my gaming that my PS4 was actually her present (I wasn’t planning on getting it!). Come to think of it, non-tolerance has played a part in some previous relationships going bad.

Yep, that is what I do for the most part krayzkrok. That’s why my criteria for a “bargain” is usually reversed from most people here. If I know it’s a long game and I’ll likely only experience 20% of the game to get a feel for it before I move on, then the game is only worth 20% or so of the full price to me. So for long games, I wait for a big sale. But if it’s a short game and has good word of mouth, but with the caveat that people say it was too short, then I know I’m likely to experience 100% of it, and therefore it’s worth 100% of the full price to me. So for short games, I don’t need to wait for a sale first.

The problem I have with this is that I actually care about the story in the games I play -I know it’s mostly not good, but I want them to be good, and I want to see the end of them-. By padding the game to crazy 25 hours they are actively desensitizing me from playing, since it’s very possible I’ll end up frustrated. Stuff like Destiny I don’t mind, since it’s not really a narrative, but Alien, judging by the reviews is indeed a narrative experience.

For this month gaming expense I chose Shadow of Mordor over Alien specifically because of the length, even though Alien is much more interesting to me. I’ll wait for a sale, and this saddens me because I really support the risks the took on making this an unusual AAA game.

I’m like Rock8man in that a short game is much likely to get a sale from me than a long one. I guess it’s because of my age…

You guys are weird. 25 hours does not particularly feel like a long game to me, and I like long games. I’ve got hundreds of hours into games like Fallout 3. The only time I get fed up with a game’s length is if it’s not good in the first place.

You probably have more free time! I am lucky if I can set aside 15 hours a week and that’s for all types of entertainment (tv - movies - games) combined.

Anyway I am on track to finish Shadow of Mordor just in time for Borderlands:P-S and Civ: BE.

Put me in the “Longer isn’t better” camp as well. A coherent, focused experience in an accessible timeframe is worth its weight in Steam wallet dollars.

Speaking of which: VALIANT HEARTS.

Much agreed, I now favorably weigh conciseness much higher when considering games. Banner Saga was one of my favorite games from this year. It didn’t overstay its welcome and it didn’t add a lot of filler or padding. The game stayed focused on the strengths of the development team and offered a pithy and complete experience that was very satisfying for the duration.

-Todd

Anyone getting any games in November? I am on the fence deciding between FarCry 4 or Dragon Age 3.
Might just pass on both until the winter sale, as my backlog has a lot of AAA goodness in it awaiting my free time.

It speaks to us… from the other side of the apocalypse.

What color is the sun, friend? Brown, like a wallet torn asunder? Or green, like the color of money and the plants and trees that used to thrive on this world?

The only thing I’m definitely picking up is GTA V on the PS4 since I didn’t have a console to try it out last year, and I’ve only heard great things. Far Cry 4 and Dragon Age 3 both look good but I might hold out for a sale in 2015.

Assassin’s Creed: Unity, Far Cry 4 and Dragon Age for me.

Man, both games out on November 18th? I’ll be out of town that Saturday. I guess it will be an iTunes balance apocalypse with iOS boardgames.

Dragon Age pre-ordered. Might wait for Assassin’s Creed and Far Cry but then I am notoriously weak-willed.

GTA V I’m not sure - definite buy, but go PS4 or wait til next year for PC?

Today is 10/27, in the near future, the major releases coming up:

10/28 - Sunset Overdrive
10/28 - Lords of the Fallen (thread title at Qt3 says similar to Dark Souls maybe?)
11/4 - Call of Duty Advance Warfare
11/11 - Master Chief Collection
11/11 - Assassin’s Creed: Unity
11/11 - Assassin’s Creed: Rogue
11/18 - Dragon Age: Inquisition
11/18 - Far Cry 4
11/18 - GTA V-current gen edition
11/18 - LittleBigPlanet 3

So far I already have Master Chief collection pre-ordered. Tempted by Sunset Overdrive, but I wish they were offering the same deal for the digital edition as they are for the disc version.

I’ll stay away from the Assassin’s Creed games until I catch up to the franchise. I’m still 3 or 4 games behind at this point. Same with Far Cry. I still have to give Far Cry 3 and the standalone expansion another fair shake. I also want to play Dragon Age, but not until I’ve played DA2 first. Unless they allow you to queue commands, per character. Then I’ll skip 2 and get Inquisition.

Not a fan of LittleBigPlanet, but if they get rid of the floating weird physics and make it more like Psychonauts physics or Mario physics, I’d be all over it.

The one game that’s a complete unknown is actually the Call of Duty game. I didn’t like the last one, but I’m keeping an open mind on this one. I loved what some of these team members did with Dead Space, so I’m curious what they can bring to the Call of Duty franchise. I’ll wait on Lords of the Fallen until I finish Dark Souls.

In there somewhere, I hope, is the release of the PS+ version of DriveClub. I’m looking forward to that.

I loved Shadow of Mordor and I just ordered Sunset Overdrive but otherwise October was quiet.

November/December is another story.

I have Little Big Planet on preorder (my wife wants to know her Sack Boy plushie is) and I have the Master Chief Collection on preorder. I will try to hold out on Far Cry 4 until Black Friday but will probably fail :-) I’ll probably buy Unity in December (hope there’s a sale) but and will only buy Dragon Age with stellar reviews. Oh I’ll get Beyond Earth for Mac when that comes out. Maybe Fantasia when the bomba sale comes.

BTW, I actually forget the CoD was coming out. My interest in this series is long dead.

November’s got Pokémon and more Super Smash Bros. for me.

From this month’s releases, I actually ended up not getting Fantasy Life after all, because I still haven’t put as much time as I’d like into the last two 3DS games I bought.

I’ve dropped Unity and am getting Drage Age:Inquisition instead - really looking forward to that.