Octopath Traveler - Be a Dancer, or a Merchant!

Out of curiosity which was which?

Played a bit into the first chapter of the Warrior, shows promise. Pushes the right FFVI nostalgia buttons in some ways. Not far enough into the game to have seen the depth of the combat system. The music is great, and the sound in general is good. I really enjoy the art style, the blend of pixels and 3D is quite enjoyable on the Switch’s screen. Not sure how it’d look on a big screen.

I think it holds up very well on big screens. That’s on 100" using a Dell 1080p projector.

That lools great!

Recruited the Merchant now, also interesting.

Is the only narrative and gameplay difference between main characters the fact that they cannot be swapped out of the party?

I preordered the game based on the demos. I started with the cleric, went for the scholar next and now I have the merchant. I think the game is very good. The combat is fast, but interesting every time.

I have heard there is actually a post credits unlockable dungeon and boss that does in fact tie all the stories together, so the reviews complaining otherwise may have been premature.

This kind of sent me down a whale anatomy Internet rabbit hole… anyhow, here’s a fun fact I found:

The enormous, 160,000-pound fin whale makes about 257 gallons of urine per day, according to the study. … So if 30,000 fin whales had been peeing into the ocean since the Big Bang, their pee would still only account for 10 percent of the ocean’s water.

f9e

This is definitely interesting enough to be on the list for whenever I get a Switch picked up. Haven’t actually played a JRPG since…forever. 15+ years I think (early high school/late middle school).

Dunno, would a sudden revelation of X thing being behind every apparently unrelated story showing up at the very end (and post credits?) really fix anything about the stories being apparently unrelated in the rest of the game? You have to build those relationships too. Also the Kotaku reviewer says it gives more lore and not actual resolution between the stories.

Is there a gauge to see the enemies health bar or equivalent? I can see my health top right corner but nothing for the group or individual I am fighting.

Either my old eyes are at fault or maybe it is some type of skill?

Enemy HP isn’t displayed anywhere.

One of the Scholar’s abilities lets you see the (current/max) HP of an enemy as well as a weakness.

Thanks!

Does anyone have an idea on what battery life on portable mode is like for this?

Also, how’s the random encounter rate? I remember it seeming a bit high to me during the demo, but that was several weeks back, so I might be misremembering.

Seems like one every screen and a half or so. I am not using the Scholar’s passive that reduces them since I am way below the level requirements for Chapter 2.

I think having to move to special locations to save is a bit frustrating because of the random encounters. I just want to save and will get hit several times trying to get to the save location.

Save point systems suck, but if you leave the game running and put the Switch in sleep-mode you can resume from where you left off. Really handy.

I usually hate save point systems as well but they are everywhere in this game and 12 hours in I’ve only come close to coming close to dying twice.

Also I’ve started my first chapter two last night so maybe things change going forward.

Did you recruit all first? I’ve done 6 Chapter 1s, my main dude is level 19 and his Chapter 2 has a required level of 27…

Yea I recruited everyone and I am now doing the thief’s second chapter which says level 22. My main is I think 20, so I figure I’ll cut my teeth a little in the new zone and level up quickly.