Odd Windows 7 Enterprise Performance Issue

Ok folks, I’ve encountered an odd issue in some software we’ve developed. I figured it may be interesting to toss it out here, in case anyone has an ideas. I’ve not been able to google any concrete solutions, or even other folks running into this.

We have a Java application that uses a map based on NASA’s Worldwind package. Everything works fine in most cases.

However, in one particular installation, we started seeing extremely high CPU usage spikes, generally when interacting with the worldwind map pane. The exact same use had no such spikes on other machines.

We were then able to reproduce it on another machine at the same location. But then the problem did not show up on a 3rd machine there. The only apparent difference between the machines was that the one which ran things fine was Windows 7 Professional, while the other ones (the problem machines) were running Windows 7 Enterprise.

This seems to be the key, as we had never run it on Windows 7 Enterprise previously, and so that would explain why we never ran into the issue. But the question remains, what exactly would cause such an issue?

From looking at the differences between versions, I’m thinking that it MAY be due to Bitlocker file encryption. This is a feature of the Enterprise version, but not the professional version. It may be screwing up something in terms of streaming map data from the disk. This is pure speculation at this point.

So, while I don’t really expect anyone to necessarily know about this, I figured it may be worth throwing out there, on the off chance anyone knows about bitlocker and has seen similar issues with it.

Is bitlocker actually enabled? You can disable it to test, and enable again later but considering it will decrypt the entire drive that can take hours.

It’s certainly possible for bitlocker to peg the CPU, especially older models. I run it on my work laptop, and it has been a pretty decent hit to performance. Especially anything with tons of small files.

I’m actually not at the site where this is taking place, but that’s exactly what I had suggested to the guy dealing with it. So later on, I may have info about whether it impacted things.

Bitlocker could be the culprit, especially if the machine doesn’t have a TPM chip. Without a TPM chip it might put more stress on storage and CPU, especially if the program in question doesn’t change behavior to account for it.