Odin Sphere

Fwiw, ebgames.com delivered in a day, mine showed up sometime after 5 PM today.

It’s funny the way that overnight tracing shows this beautiful chain of cross country handoffs, depot to depot to depot in neat hourly steps, a human clockwork of efficiency. Then it gets into a truck at a depot a mile from your house and disappears into a black hole for 12 hours…

I just got the Fry’s email, but it says they have no idea how long it will be. They HOPE it will be in the next 30 days. No hurry for me though. I have too many games to play right now. I just didn’t want to miss out on this one.

I actually emailed them, and got that response. If I get well enough to leave the house at some point I’ll probably try it at EB, if its really good I might break down and buy it there.

For some of you apparently on the fence.

It’s a pretty decent game, not very deep gameplay, but fun so far. Story is superficial and rather annoying so far. Basically you traverse a little network of these circular world nodes, killing everything you see, to complete a level. Then you can go back and grind the level for cash and items if you like, or go on to the next level.

One slightly annoying feature is that the boss for each level doesn’t give you any reward. It’s not like it makes all that much difference whether you get stuff along the way in the level or at the end, but after all you just spent 15 minutes bouncing around pecking at this boss, they might as well reward you for it. I suppose the reward is being able to go on to the next level…

Edit: my progress in the game is to the pooka village. Obviously there’s a lot more to the game than that.

I made it too pooka village and suddenly found I needed alot more bag space to make some good food. You can have up to 6 bags total the 2 you start with plus 4 additional ones you buy ( with 3,5,6, or 8 slots ). Learning a bosses movements goes a long way to helping to drag out the fight. Still working through on my first character so not sure how anyone else handles yet hopefully tommorrow I’ll have finished the first one.

I canceled my Fry’s pre-order, and just picked this up at the store. The plot’s cliche teen angst, and the voice over is over acted to match. It’s also a rather simple brawler, as opposed to the side-scrolling fighting game + rpg I was hoping for… (Does such a game exist?)

Nonetheless, I like it a lot! I was sold after the first bigger-than-the-screen boss, and the parallax scrolling and rotoscoped sprites really are a sight to behold. I recommend playing on hard, with the Japanese voice work.

Yeah. !.5 hours in, but it’s clearly a “quantity above all” game.

This is like a game form an alternate universe where they never stopped making 2D games.

I have to think that everyone over at Play magazine booted this up and then promptly died from a simultaneous aneurysm and heart attack.

I’m a few more hours in (just finished my first trip to lava land), and the difficulty has definitely picked up. I’ve switched to normal, after getting chewed up a few too many times on hard. I’ve definitely started to play more cautiously, as enemy attacks are typically uninteruptable, and do tons of damage.

Just got my copy today and I’m on chapter 3 of book 1. About bags, I can buy 5 slot bags now, should I just fill up my bag limit with them now or save them for later? I beat the boss of chapter 2 with 1 health left while on fire which was just damm lucky on my part.

Right now I figure after each stage I’ll go back to one just to grow all my seeds and get the food, I still don’t understand how high alchemy numbers work. Is the type of alchemy it is determined by the ones digit? So for example if I have alchemy 66 then will it act as an alchemy 6?

Right. Tens only affect how many phozons (the purple sparklies) get released afterwards. The product solely depends on the ones digit.

Also, if you don’t need the bag space too urgently, you can buy 8 slot bags in… chapter 4, I think.

I’ve spent most of the day finshing up the first book, did anyone else find her hard to control? Just started the 2nd book and maybe it’s from figuring out the game but I’m having an easier time with the 2nd character. One tip I’ve found is that the item lucky stone is really useful. The treasure chests that drop have a chance of either giving much needed money or an expensive item. I’m really loving the art design behind the characters but I did notice a hell of alot of slowdown during book 1’s final boss fight. For anyone else playing, are you equiping the attack up item most of the time, or something else? In book 1 I went with each attack up item, now I’m keeping the lucky stone for regular fighting and the health up for bosses.

I have two copies of this game now. One, I kept sealed for the inevitable hike in Ebay value a couple years down the road. Kek.

I’ve spent a good amount of time trying to find this game. Silly me, I went to EBs and Gamestops all over the place but I ended up finding it at the first Circuit City I went to and they had multiple copies. I knew I should have checked out the Best Buys and such earlier.

I’m caving on buying this. I was hoping to go the whole rest of the year without reconnecting my ps2…IT JUST WON’T DIE.

So, uh. I know this is from 2007 and everything, but I just started playing this after getting it from Goozex on a whim.

A chapter in and I’m really enjoying it, simplistic combat or not. To those of you who have played this through, should I be using the English or Japanese voices? Gwendolyn is pretty bad in English, but others seem to have a bit more character.

I seem to recall preferring JAP to ENG.

You really have to ask? Japanese voices on any Japanese game that allows the option. (well, maybe not the Dynasty Warriors games, just because you may not have time to look at the subs.)

I dunno, I thought that the Disgaea English voices were pretty great. In general I agree, but sometimes it’s hard to tell within the first 40 minutes of a game.

This game is fucking great, by the way. I just want more inventory space, and it took me a few tries to figure out how to buy stuff.

While normally I agree, I will note that (A) the quality of English dubbing has gone up considerably over the last decade or so, (B) subtitles can be distracting or overlooked especially during action scenes when you’re too busy playing to read them, (C) a lot of incidental dialog (taunts during combat, background chatter, etc.) isn’t subbed so you miss out on that, and (D) some Japanese female voices - particularly for the “perky” characters - can be very very irritating, IMHO (though the English voices who try to ape them are liable to be just as bad).

Yeah, this hasn’t been uniformly true for a number of years.