Official Chrome Extensions Gallery Is Up!

From the AdThwart FAQ:

AdThwart includes the EasyList ad filter list. This list is frequently updated. When AdThwart autoupdates, you’ll automatically get the latest version of EasyList.

AdThwart’s ad blocking engine is partly taken from the open-source AdBlock Plus Mozilla Firefox extension.

Look, I’ve used Firefox since before it was Firefox, back when it was Phoenix. And I used Mozilla before that. And I use Thunderbird 3 and Songbird. So I’m no Mozilla hater.

But the inarguable reality is that Chrome is much, much faster than Firefox. And while Chrome 3 gave up too much functionality to Firefox (no font downloading, weak dev tools, no extensions, other UI shortcomings I forget), Chrome 4 is on par or better with everything but extensions, and its weak extension support is more acceptable than Firefox’s weak performance.

If Firefox 4 is better than Chrome, I’ll switch back; I have little loyalty here other than to the best browsing experience. For right now, though, that’s with Chrome.

So far I’m using:
Adthwart
Autocomplete= On (could probably do this without a extension)
Autopagerize (forum browsing much faster)
ChromeMilk (need to do a To Do list right)
Docs PDF/Powerpoint Viewer
Google Mail Checker
Google Reader Notifier
IE Tab
RSS Subsription Extension (why this isn’t in a Chrome release yet is beyond me)
Send From Gmail (no button)
Youtube HTML5-ifier (currently disabled)

Only 12 tabs open here, but I never experience delays.

I can see how you’d miss extensions, I never really put the effort into using them, so I’m just glad that it’s an option for Chrome now as well.

But like others I like the design and superior speed - the latter isn’t subjective but something that can be measured and is in no doubt.
I also like that I can see exactly which tab is using a lot of resources if something is fishy on my only 2GB work machine and that if a tab or an app crashes it doesn’t crash the browser (and in the rare instances it does, it takes a few seconds to open the browser with every tab right where I were).

The only extension that I genuinely miss when I’m working in Chrome is Firebug. The developer tools in Chrome are fine but Firebug is just that little bit more useful, particularly for JS debugging and the panel that shows you exactly what GET/POST stuff is being done by AJAX.

Firebug is the only reason I still have Firefox installed.

I’ve switched to Chrome on my laptop since FF lately has been bogging my system down. Got the extensions up and running, having no noscript does feel strange tho.

I love trying new things, and Chrome seems faster, but I have to admit that I never find myself tapping my finger and waiting for FF. And it works the way I want, with all the extensions.

So far, to me, Chrome extensions seem to be analogous to Chrome: “Firefox Lite.” The same extensions are not as full featured, and, like Chrome, I’m not given a lot of options in each extension. I can’t yet figure out how to set an RSS feed as a link in the favorites toolbar, for example, as I can in Firefox. The Gmail notifier simply shows how many new mail messages I have (which is already on the tab for Gmail) and doesn’t give me a new mail sound notifier like Gmail notifier does in Firefox. And so on and so on.

I’ll keep an eye on the extensions, to see how Chrome develops. It will be interesting to see how the speed of Chrome holds up when it is loaded up with extensions the way my FF is.

Firefox still has…
-FfvB - vbulletin management
-greasemonkey (amazing addon that i dont think i could live without)

Found a few more good ones:

Expand (Expands short links, such as from Tinyurl)
FlashBlock (works just like the FF version)
Facebook Cleanup (similar to the two Greasemonkey equivalents I’ve seen)
Blank New Tab (this should be a built-in option)
Mini Google Maps
QuickSearch (should be built-in - brings back the equivalent to FF’s search toolbar, but as a button that brings up the form instead)
Readability (strips out most of the crap on a page and reformats the text/margins according to your settings - see this for an options overview)
URLShortener (shortens using Bit.ly, Is.gd, TinyURL, Ir.Pe, Tr.Im or Cli.Gs)

I installed a bunch of totally optional ones as well (leaving some disabled) as a kind of stress or integration test.

Still missing for me:

Firebug
Foxytunes (or at least, a music player volume slider)
FfvB equivalent
JS blocker
Sidebar extension for bookmarks and history (like FF’s)
The ability to faviconize links in the bookmark bar. (I know my frequently-used bookmarks very well, so why should I have to see their text descriptions all the time?)

The developer tools (Ctrl-Shift-I) are a pretty solid substitute for Firebug.

Agreed, but:

So I agree on the GET/POST panel, but what JS debugging stuff does Fahrfox do that Chrome doesn’t? At a casual investigation, it had everything I was looking for…

You’re probably right about the JS stuff (actually you are, I’d just forgotten about it) but the GET/POST is a must-have for what I do. Really, that’s about all that’s keeping me with Firefox. The simple fact that Chrome starts so quickly has been such a huge boon for me that even without extensions I’ve been using it to most or all of my casual web browsing stuff and only really using Firefox when I need to do some dev work or for sites that don’t like Chrome for whatever reason.

I’ve always been a fan of Chrome’s mystical “speed.” Faster at what? Any modern browser’s rendering speed vastly outstrips the speed at which your internet connection is pulling down packets. Maybe I lose 30 milliseconds here and there waiting for an image to load. Don’t care. On the other hand, Chrome crashed on me more in one month than Firefox has since I started using it a million years ago. Do care.

Rendering, script execution, UI responsiveness. It’s not a subtle difference in practice, and trying to pretend that people are making it up is trivially and empirically disprovable.

The empirical tests show differences on the order of tens of milliseconds. I don’t know if I can notice that much difference, but I know for fact that I don’t give a flying fuck about 30 milliseconds here and there.

By empirical tests, I mean just using it. It’s obviously, visibly faster.

If Chrome is faster than Firefox (and I don’t dispute that testing shows it is) then my browser usage is such that I do not notice the difference.

I do like Chrome, though, it’s just missing a few features that would make it my default choice.

I just reinstalled it to see if it is, indeed, noticeably faster. I’ll grant you that the browser UI is a lot swifter (much as I love Firefox, the AwesomeBar needs a lot of work on speed and being, you know, not terrible). However, I can’t really tell any difference in page loading or anything else related to actually using the internet.