Offworld Trading Company from Mohawk Games

For the first question, yes, buying a new company definitely gives you an advantage. It’s the path to victory, after all. Ideally, in a 4-player game, two of the players buy two of the other players and then go for each other.

As for the second question, well, good question. That’s a hotly debated point within the team. Currently, the colony stay “human” which means that the purchasing player now has to pay some life support.

This is what I’m getting:

Sorry, The XXX-XXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX coupon could not be applied because you do not have an eligible product in your cart.

Where do I put the code? When I use mine on either the founder’s edition or the the elite edition on the offworld website, I get an error.

You have to follow the link in the email to get to the product on the Stardock store, which is this link.

Then you put in the coupon code, which knocks it down from $80 to $20.

Sorry it’s confusing; this is how we had to implement it because of the way our store works.

Perfect! Worked like a charm. Looking forward to the prototype.

That worked! I was missing the email link!

Thanks, Adam!

My pleasure. Adding an entry to the FAQ to hopefully help out some people who post on forums I don’t read. Apologies again for the kludgy way this thing works, but without a fairly major store refactor it’s the best we could come up with.

Also got my $20 copy now, Wooo Hooo!

@ginger yellow

Do you mean the store coupon? I thought I sent them all, I will double check after work.

Could the game have an option for a merger if two players are looking at losing? Maybe impose a X turn efficiency loss due to “restructuring costs” to dissuade it as being an immediate go to option and not allow it to happen until after Y turns (to stop players gaming it from the start). I have no idea of how it would be implemented as games tend to not allow two people to have equal control of a single entity within a game. It seems like a mechanic that would work well in a board game but not as good possibly in a computer game.

I guess the tricky thing about having a merging option is balancing it as being a game about competing vs a game about co-operating. If I know I can do a merger I may not wait until I am at risk of losing to consider it, I may play the game with the aim of merging to win.

Anyway, its your game so do as you please :)

Just wanted to let people know that we’ve changed the terms of our NDA so that people can freely discuss their experiences with the prototype in public: http://www.mohawkgames.com/2014/09/17/talking-about-the-game/

So, if anyone want to talk about the prototype here, feel free!

Woohoo. I haven’t played for a couple of patches now because of my temporary internet situation, which has become annoyingly long term, so I’ll hold off on detailed commentary until I’ve played the latest version. I will say this: I like what I’ve played a lot, and it’s more hectic and dynamic than I was expecting.

Exactly my first impressions as well. I thought this would be more sedate and spreadsheet-like, but it’s actually pretty fast-paced. That’s not a bad thing, by the way.

That’s why I try to emphasize that it’s really an RTS at the core.

That’s what I get for not listening!

Seriously though, it was a pleasant surprise to experience it. I don’t know what it was about the previews that misdirected me. Perhaps the emphasis on “no combat” that we’ve seen in previews made me think “less intense”? I suppose that’s my dumb issue. Anyway, my first few games were like, “Whoah! I need to get cracking!”

I’ll say the graphics have improved. :D

It’s really easy to get sucked in for hours at a time. :)

. Perhaps the emphasis on “no combat” that we’ve seen in previews made me think “less intense”? I suppose that’s my dumb issue. Anyway, my first few games were like, “Whoah! I need to get cracking!”
There is definitely combat, it just doesn’t involve units or weapons. Think Railroad Tycoon but way faster and with a more elaborate tech tree/production chain.

Ugh, when you google “offworld trading you tube” all you get is people jumping from WTC on 911 and some base jumpers pre-911.

Does the lifting of the NDA mean YT videos of it can appear?

No. No videos, no screenshots. The gameplay is a lot farther along than the art ;)