Offworld Trading Company from Mohawk Games

In the single player campaign, you win by buying Habitat. What I’m confuse is whether it means the liveable Habitat or will buying Workshops and Machine Shops count? I just lost the campaign for having too low stock price, so I’d agree with the debt statement above. Don’t get too deep into debt.

You win by building the most modules, doesn’t matter if they are Habitats or one of the Workplaces.

Cool, that makes a lot of sense. It’s a hard balance between paying off debts or racing to buy the modules.

Apparently there’s a patch today, but I can’t find any info on what’s in it.

“We released a hotfix for MP issues today. Let us know if you still have any problems with MP matches.” According to Island Dog on the Steam forums.

My problem with MP matches is that I am too chicken to enter one, since I still can’t beat the AI on Manager level. Is there a patch for that?!?

There is, you just have to enable the Play With KevinC option. The opponent is fairly passive and makes lots of bad decisions, which makes it a comfortable entry point for MP.

The real-life Black Market has some perfectly legal performance-enhancing nutritional supplements that might help, too. Or so I hear.

Small hotfix went out today to address some MP issues.

This patch has one focus, fixing issues with Multiplayer matches. If you have been having any issues connecting in multiplayer games, or the game hanging when trying to start a multiplayer match, this is the patch for you.

So I spent most of last night on Proof of Employment. Wow, I thought I had a decent handle on the basics by that point but obviously not!

I kept making stupid mistakes like selling a resource for a quick buck then realising I needed it to upgrade my HQ, or demolishing a structure to erect something else then realising that I actually needed that as well. The lattice of dependencies is taking some wrapping my head around I’ve got to say, not to mention, New Meridian behave very differently with their leapfrogging tech.

Anyway, I lost track of time and it was 00:20 when I quit out, past my bed time and still unsuccessful. I was obviously doing something wrong so I decided to check out those videos that Soren did on the Practice Games. Yeah. Badly positioned HQ (resulting in high fuel consumption for my freights) and I’m being nowhere near aggressive enough with steel production (resulting in slow upgrades). I decided to not watch any more so I can try and crack the rest of the level myself.

I’m still really digging this though and can’t wait to get stuck into the campaign, play some skirmishes and… well, we’ll see about multiplayer. I’m such a slow poke with strategy.

Any tips on how to use the black market effectively against your enemies? It feels spammy and the effects seem shortlived, but I’m sure it’s not. It can also get really expensive!

Phew, just completed so campaign on Assistant level. It was intense. I almost got bought out by the competition and on that last second, my Offworld rocket launched, earning me enough to buy him out instead!!! Bagged myself a “Just In Time” achievement but boy, that was nerves wrecking!!

Did some MP for the first time last night. SHIT that was fun.

I’ve been eyeing this game, but I’m a bit concerned its low player counts may mean there’s not a good community to play against in MP matches. Those of you who have it, has finding a match been a problem?

CraigM seems like a decent fork on this community patch as well. I haven’t played yet, but given my tendency to prefer turtling and going all in for late game tech, I’ll certainly give plenty of breathing room to my opponents.

Probably not the place to ask as many of us are too old for more, lol, or maybe just me.

I’m totally hooked on this at the moment and I’m not even out of the practice games! Completed Proof of Employment and have been chipping away at Managing Expectations over the last few days. It’s tough but I’m learning lots and having a blast. Let me put it this way: I’ve had far too many cups of tea go cold because I’ve been so engrossed.

The last big thing I learnt is that power sources increase the output of resource generators adjacent to them so I’ve been factoring that in when placing my structures. Perhaps this was mentioned in the tutorials and I just missed it.

I’m slowly wrapping my head round the black market abilities, although I’m still struggling with how to use the network virus effectively. In my last game a dust storm was coming so I queued an energy shortage hack and power surged my main rival’s newly erected wind turbine farm. I also remember a solar flare coming and not having a solar farm so I checked the price of solar farms. $4.1K. Mutiny was $2K so I enacted that on a rival’s solar farm so I could scoop off some of the energy from the solar flare and hobble their income a little in the process: result!

Our Steam release sale ends at 1pm ET today!

That’s actually a power of Robotic HQs.

Which I figured out later, but confuesed me as I was going through the tutorials. The very first tutorial has this bonus, and I implicitly assumed this was how the game worked. It wasn’t until a few tutorials later that I realized this was not the case.

Which is a minor criticism. The tutorials are fun and well written! I actively enjoyed playing them, especially the Art of the Deal one. That was one of the few things that was not properly flagged, IMO, and a little fine tuning to make it more explicit that the adjacency bonus for power generators was a robot only property, especially since at that point I was not aware there were other types of HQ!

Otherwise I’m digging it, can’t wait until today when I get to tackle a match proper.

Thanks for the clarifications, Squee, much appreciated! Offworld markets had a huge impact on the games I have played so far, so this is good to know.

I am still unsure about paying down debt and its effect on the share price, though. I tested it last game and it didn’t appear to have any effect. In the real world, the effect of financial leverage on share prices also seems ambiguous (e.g. this CFO article).

This is why I’m still interested in buy out strategy. My first attempt at Managing Expectations ended just like this, with the minor difference that my AI rival ended up winning the buyout race by a mere $15,000 (we both had more than $550,000 in cash). To be honest, it was quite thrilling to lose a game by such a small margin, but now I am wondering whether I could have turned the tide by buying out the two less successful AI opponents first. Or is that just staving off the inevitable?
My AI rival and I were both playing Robotic HQ, with him specializing in chemical products and me in electronics, making the standoff that much more personal. I will be back, my robot nemesis!!!

Do AIs always buy out the human player first? I have noticed that they buy each others’ stocks, but I don’t think I have seen an actual AI-AI takeover yet…