Offworld Trading Company from Mohawk Games

So are you up for some MP then? :)

I was thinking about floating the idea of some weekend MP but I’m incredibly rusty now. I’d certainly be interested though.

Offworld Trading Company: Blue Chip Ventures Interview with Community Member ‘Blues’

Classic VO is back!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/271240/discussions/0/135513549095107026/

Sweet :-)
Patching now.

How do I embed an “Alleluja” sound cue?

Cool, I can finally hear what all the teeth gnashing has been about!

Even the auction hammer is back. So happy ^-^

Hey everyone! Late to the party, as usual. I picked this up about 2 weeks ago and although I’m enjoying it, I’m struggling to figure it out. I thought Otagon’s insight was very interesting, but how do you actually put it into practice?

I’m guessing that your first bunch of claims goes into construction resources - iron/steel or carbon and aluminum. Then what? Not glass/electronics - surely that’s too advanced and expensive for HQ2/3 even though you need it to upgrade. So, what? Look at what’s expensive? Look at what’s profitable? I’m just not sure really where to go in the early- to mid-game.

Also, is anyone playing this online any more? I’d love to give it a shot, but I’m afraid I’ve missed the boat.

Also, as long as I’m asking questions, where do you suggest going SP after completing the tutorials and practice missions? I beat the dreaded Managing Expectations, but barely. I’ve been trying the campaign, but getting my ass handed to me, even on lower difficulties.

Thanks,
Ike

It depends on the market!

But basically, here is the upshot: early on, you want to be taking on debt in exchange for expanding, because what you will earn from having expanded is far more than the debt interest ticks. (Until you get too much debt - then it’s bad.)

Now, often you will want your construction materials early. But if they are cheap, or lots of other players have also invested in construction materials, you might find an advantage doing something else. It depends on what the colony is producing, and the resources available to you - and what you use.

Glass/chems/electronics are totally viable at HQ2/3 if the input resources are cheap and the price is high - more so if there is excess demand. Glass is often very nice, as it is also a construction material.

Remember that when you sell down construction materials to buy up other materials (resources for other factories, materials you don’t have) you’re actively helping out your opponents by making it cheaper for them to upgrade. Everything is connected.

Zultar’s youtube channel has a serious of tutorial videos, I think. They’re worth checking out.

As Figth_Fret said, the game is all about the dynamic nature of the market, so there is no definitive strategy. Observing the map is the first step to setting up a plan, maybe, but that is just another level of play for a lot of people! There are theorists of the funding, since it is such a capital element of the game, but I wouldn’t allow myself to comment those.

An important tip is that during the game, your view should barely ever show your own base -yup, no ego!-, excepting when reforming your industry of course, but instead you should be spying on your opponent(s) all the time. Seeing what they produce is a thing, but even more important is watching them switching production. This either may help you appreciate or even anticipate coming demand and offer changes - or even set up naughty things, with your hacking array for instance.

Beating the tutorials and feeling comfortable with them is the first (arguably, big) hurdle. Then, in single player, I’d advise playing the daily challenge and skirmishes against the AI at the standard difficulty level: when you can beat those reliably, you are on the right tracks! From there, I would suggest you to go for Blues’ first scenarios, but they are not free. The campaign games are very different experiences from the standard games, so I’d suggest to get familiar with standard games first.

MP is still pretty active, I think. The discord channel and the tournament events sure are.

Jupiter’s Forge expansion announced!

Very nice! My greatest shame is never getting very far in the campaign.

Zultar has a new dev journal up about Jupiter’s Forge.

That looks super cool!

I’m still trying to figure out the base game!

Argh, I need to get back to Offworld. That sounds great.

@Island_Dog, on your previous post what does the commenter saying ‘I hope to see a more comprehensive save and loading feature with this one too, we need it, its driving people away’ mean?

Not sure what the poster means - you can save and exit or save and continue during matches.

Zultar has a new features video up today which takes a tour of the new structures you’ll find only on Io in Jupiter’s Forge.

Read the dev journal here…

http://www.stardock.com/games/article/482700/Water-Water-Nowhere-and-Yet-You-Need-to-Drink