Oh my, oh me, its the PSP!

That’s because you are playing that movie from RAM, though. The PSP (like my laptop) has to spin a disc, which is where all the power drain comes from. Hopefully the tradeoff will be better image quality. I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Depending on the price, I would probably buy tiny DVDs of movies for long trips and plane rides, and I’d certainly rent them, if I could.

So the batteries ARE rechargeable? That’s nice. At least I won’t have to buy all new batteries for it, like I do with my GBA. I don’t mind recharging between uses and I don’t play games for 3+ hour stretches anyway.

Well, every forum has to have a hater. I, my friends, hate Sony. It looks dumb

Well this is the wonderful world of electronics and personal gadgets. Innovation thrives and is the nature of the beast, practicality is mostly demonstrated by the creativity of the consumer. Afterall we have cameras and Britney Spears ringtones in our cellphones!

Besides, it’s not like the PSP’s ability to showcase Spiderman 2 video trailers and MTV video adverts is really pushing the envelope in interactive entertainment. Pushing technology yes, but no less abstract and silly than a stylus keypad and dual screens. Time will tell how hackneyed these conceptual ‘pitfalls’ as you tend to dub them truly are.

Unless this is just some classic Erickson Nintendo spite surfacing, I find the upcoming tech push very enthralling on both ends of the portable market.

Last I checked, I wasn’t entirely sold on the PSP, either. I think it looks a lot more interesting than the DS, given the technology, and its potential is more interesting to me, but shelling out $300 knowing Sony’s gaming hardware quality history isn’t something I plan to do lightly.

Bought a few TOO many PS2’s have we? :D

Now that we know both the PSP and DS are using WiFi for internet-like capabilities mind explaining to me the limitations and how this technology is used? From what I gather its wireless, but you have to be in certain places to use it. Would MMOGs be possible using it (completely ignoring the lack of a hard drive and RAM for the time being, okay?) and how much “lag” or whatever would one experience? What kind of fees do you think will get tagged along with something like this? I heard its very intensive, WiFi, so would it drain the batteries quicker?

The reason I ask, is because I find, rather oddly, I’m far more interested in online gaming on a portable than I am on a console or on the PC. It gets rid of some of my reservations, I wouldn’t have be stuck in one place or logged on for an inordinate, I guess and I would be more far more interested in being able to move around while online. Something about it makes me want try it more on the PSP and DS than I would on the Xbox, PC or Gamecube. Like playing Ridge Racer with people. Its very enticing, you can’t always find people in your area or tagging along with link cables or even Bluetooth, but meeting up for instance, on a train, would be an instant sell for me.

That said, I really enjoyed seeing what both companies had to offer, but if I had to compare the two, I’d say the DS looks like it offers tasty treats and pastries with new flavors that offer specific pleasures (I really to play that “draw Pac-man and eat the ghosts” game and new 2D Mario platformer =my $$$), while the PSP looks to give the kind of pleasure that comes from soaking up the atmosphere and experience of walking through an ornate, opulent-to-the-senses furniture store (I need portable Ridge Racer like I need air and Ape Escape is pudding) and taking in the atmosphere. I don’t know if that makes any sense to anyone.

That said, from what I’ve seen today, I’ll buy the DS on launch and wait probably a price drop or two for the PSP purchase, but before now it was going to be one or the other. Part of it is because buying a DS feels a bit like upgrading the GBA, but unlike Doug I think the system has a tantalizing focus in that stylus, though the uses for the two screens are completely different from what I thought they would be and I would still like to see applications that have you applying the two screens as gameplay devices. I hope the stylus doesn’t become too unwieldy, but from what’s been shown, it seems to have a use that doesn’t conflict with the right side of buttons or does so in a setting where its easy to change quickly. The PSP was a bit disappointing because I was hoping for more original software to showcase it and more of a hands-on demonstration, but I have little doubt there will good software on it. (<----This sentence previously mangled by my bad English. Sorry.) However, the widescreen (true Darius port?) and sheer sophisitication of the graphics is quite impressive. If there’s a Tales game, I know I won’t be able to resist. And lo! and behold, there IS! There’s no way I’ll use it for its other capabilities though, MDs and DVD seem far better choices at this point. It looks lovely though and if I could just burn MP3s to UMDs, it would be a lot more tantalizing as a little entertainment device.

Why on earth is there no analog stick on either of these devices that could do 3D? And why on earth did Sony stick the speaker down below the directional input buttons so your thumb would ostensibly cover it? I imagine you’ll have to get used to holding it a different way, but damn. Also looks like the DS might me more expensive than I previously envisioned, considering the two screens, and all the fancy hardware.

But here’s the real thing:

Mario Pinball (Oh my manly screams, this looks THE ROCK!) and Legendary Starfi 3 owns them both! :P

-Kitsune

BGDE, I’ve only bought one (and a JP PS2), but I’ve seen too many break to know know that it’s anything BUT a matter of time before my number is called with a piece of expensive Sony hardware. Given that the PSP is very miniturized cutting-edge tech in a handheld format using an unproven media and a micro-drive, I think my skepticism is 100% warranted. :D

No Analog sticks?

What’s the point of making a 3D gaming system without an analog input option?

The PSP has an analog stick/nub directly below the D-pad.

Nice way to sidestep my attempted razzing. I’m sure later this year the DS’ use of voice recog, and stylus power can help me craft a REAL dilly of a heckle your way through the use of Bluetooth networking. That’ll show you innovation at work. 8)

That appears to be a speaker, is that really an analog?:

-Kitsune

You’re right, it’s a speaker. Ass. My interest in the PSP just declined slightly. Also, it seems like the 10 hour battery life isn’t certain, either; it’s 10 hours for audio, 2.5 for video. Gaming, given regular drive accesses and video, is probably somewhere in between leaning more toward the 2.5 end of the spectrum.

GBA SP 4 LIFE, BITCHES

Nintendo DS >>> j00!

:wink: :twisted: :)

–Dave

Indeed.

=

Now will someone please explain a little about WiFi to me, please? I don’t really understand all the technical jargon my research brings up…

-Kitsune

It’s like GAF without the morons!

–Dave

WiFi (also known as IEEE 802.11b, with some other standards being a and g) is the current standard for wireless networking, mostly of the TCP/IP (internet) variety.

It’s like cordless phones, but for data, not voice. Allowing you to connect to a base station (or through ad-hoc methods to another wi-fi device) without wires.

Please forgive me for asking further questions, but I’m not a native English speaker and though I look up these terms, they don’t compute to me in the same way as if I had known them for a while, so its a bit hard to grasp. What do you mean, ad-hoc and how is TCP/IP affected differently from broadband, or is it different from broadband at all? Where do I have to be to connect to a base station? Is it just like an internet connection, except wireless and there’s a limit to where you can be? Does it drain more battery power when you use it compared to when you don’t? Is there a limit of movement? Is it all dependent on what type of connections are near me? Can I use it on a train, in a plane, in my house, or in a car? I do not like green eggs and ham, Sam I am!

My eternal thank you for answering my question and my gratitude if you could help clear up a little more of this for me?

-Kitsune

Right… so basically you’ll be able to access a WiFi network in your home or potentially anywhere on the road provided there’s a receiver there to connect to. Instant web access and with a handheld, apparently there will also be some way to play games that way.

The DS also uses a Nintendo connection method for the DS to DS communication locally that reaches out to 100 meters. I think it was the DS that will be somewhat “aware” of other DSes around you so you could potentially be playing against someone you meet on the street.

–Dave

How do I know there is a receiver? How widespread is this? Could my connection drop without me knowing it gets weak, or do they usually have indicators like a cellphone?

Thank you for answering my questions, I really appreciate it. :)

-Kitsune