Ohio going off the deep end

Ohio is turning into the new American Taliban. North Carolina watch your back!

bill to ban abortion introduced in the Ohio state legislature requires doctors to “reimplant an ectopic pregnancy” into a woman’s uterus – a procedure that does not exist in medical science – or face charges of “abortion murder”.

Not only does this procedure not exist, but it risks further injuring the mother not to mention a second round of trauma from losing her pregnancy for the second time. Between this and “protecting religious student’s feelings when they disagree with science”, Ohio’s a law away from declaring evolution a hoax, and faith healing needs to be covered by insurance.

Introducing a bill can be done by any nut job in any state legislature. Like the guy who every year would introduce a bill to impeach Obama. I would wager that getting said bill passed and signed would be almost impossible.

The bill is co-sponsored by 19 members of the house already.

I’m skeptical that story could possibly be accurate.

You can’t have a law that requires doctors to perform impossible things. I mean… That law wouldn’t possibly hold up in court.

Has that stopped Republicans from doing stupid or outright illegal stuff lately?

Well, we can agree that if that’s what this law is really saying, then it’s clearly absurd.

Well, yes.

But I would agree with your basic idea that trying to pass laws like this on it’s own represent a great deal of stupidity. If I ran against one of these idiots I would make sure to bring it up during the campaign.

I so wish that mattered in Republican strongholds :(

Well, to be honest, democrats say some really stupid things and are forgiven because of the option. There are members of the California legislature who have proposed some pretty crazy “liberal” things that don’t come back to haunt them.

But I see abortion as one of those arguments that doesn’t stem from logic. It stems from emotion, and therefore people do really stupid things.

Imagine if they put all that emotional care into the kid’s welfare once they’re born. Or adults who are down on their luck/life.

I don’t disagree with you. I just find the right to life versus women’s rights argument to be a personal one. And it makes for crazy people. When whole religions push an argument it becomes illogical. I don’t believe in organized religion so don’t think I come from anything on that side.

Ohio gives its governor a line-item veto, and I find this seems to give some particularly awful legislators a sense of free reign over what bills they’ll put their names on when trying to appeal to their base. For things the governor won’t draw a line through, the Ohio Supreme Court gets a routine workout. In short, it’s a cluster@#$%.