Ohio thread

How does every other state get their ballots counted and a winner declared, with even Hawaii who has a 6 hour time difference with Ohio? Did the ballot counters in Ohio take a 5 hour dinner break? Do the polls close that much later there? Do the police get lost delivering the ballots? After the Florida 2000 debacle, it’s hard to believe that we can be subjected to similar idiocy.

Ok even if the regular balloting closes to 50K, which I think is a HUGE stretch. The absentees will favor republicans. 2 to 1? Maybe not, but still. Are the provisionals going to cover that? Hell no.

olaf[/quote]

The provisionals are voters who showed up to vote and weren’t on the rolls. Chances are these are heavily in favor if Kerry. Will that be enough? Doubtful.

Lol, yeah, overestimated the Democrats…again :lol:

Gee, Denny, nice thought. Idoitica? Sounds too much like Idiotica…

Just because people express a different political view doesn’t make them idiots, man.

Well, here’s the artistic, intellectual way to see it, I guess;
http://www.ericblumrich.com/idiot.html

Such class! :lol:

It’s also likely that more than 60% of provisional ballots will be disqualified. It’s looking really bad for Kerry, with the Bush lead still growing.

Ok even if the regular balloting closes to 50K, which I think is a HUGE stretch. The absentees will favor republicans. 2 to 1? Maybe not, but still. Are the provisionals going to cover that? Hell no.

olaf[/quote]

The provisionals are voters who showed up to vote and weren’t on the rolls. Chances are these are heavily in favor if Kerry. Will that be enough? Doubtful.[/quote]

You’re probably right, the provisionals may be more Kerry than Bush but not that heavily.

I don’t understand the whole “provisional” voter thing. What’s so hard about getting one’s shit together, registering ahead of the election, and showing up at the polling station with valid ID and their registration card??? I mean, Democrat or Republican, we do want to ensure our elections are valid, right?

It’s only if they are registered, but for some reaosn they don’t show them on the list. Happens surprisingly often.

olaf[/quote]

The provisionals are voters who showed up to vote and weren’t on the rolls. Chances are these are heavily in favor if Kerry. Will that be enough? Doubtful.[/quote]

You’re probably right, the provisionals may be more Kerry than Bush but not that heavily.

I don’t understand the whole “provisional” voter thing. What’s so hard about getting one’s shit together, registering ahead of the election, and showing up at the polling station with valid ID and their registration card??? I mean, Democrat or Republican, we do want to ensure our elections are valid, right?[/quote]

I don’t know why simply showing a driver’s license or state ID isn’t enough to allow someone to vote. If you’re 18 or older and have a valid ID to show that you’re a local resident, why shouldn’t you be allowed to vote?

Voters need to be registered. Jeez, even in our “instant gratification” society, this is a little too important to be taken lightly.

With 99% reporting in both states, Kerry’s margin of victory in PA is smaller than Bush in OH by CNN’s figures.

Heh.

For our recent election here I wasn’t registered but I was previously. I just went to the voting place and told them that. I didn’t even have to give ID , they just made me fill out my name and address on a peice of paper, make my vote and pop it in an envelope.

Well if you just had to show a DL to vote then you could show up all over the place and vote a bunch of times. They would have to cross-reference each precint’s roll against all the others to check the final tallys.

The current system works. If you cant get registered, you suck and do not deserve to have your vote counted. Seriously, people will bend over backwards to register you and then remind you when to vote. Its not hard.

In fact I think its far too easy to vote. They ought to give some kind of quiz on the ballot, something like name the current state governor or one of your two senators. They also should restrict balloting to taxpayers only. Isnt it suspect to let everyone vote when one party wants to redistribute the wealth? I mean if one party promised me free money…shit sign me up.

olaf

Oh yes, effectively reinstituting the poll tax would be a great idea.

More seriously, it looks like if Ohio turns out as a miracle, Kerry will be able to get 270. He’s going to get NH, MN, MI, and WI; if Ohio turns out thats 271. Increasingly dispirited about Ohio, though.

Bad news: if Bush gets a state that puts him over 270 (I can’t imagine he’ll lose every one), they’re going to have Bush annouce a win. Shit, we’re going to have enough problems without Bush doing the whole “I’ve won even though we’re not finished” thing again.

The results I am seeing show Bush with a ~150K margin in Ohio. Surely no one really thinks provisonal ballots are going to make up this gap.

olaf

Ironically, ABC and CBS won’t call Ohio, at this point, like every other network has. But, most of the networks who called Ohio either a.) have gone off the air by now, or b.) refuse to call Nevada, in spite of a ~3% win with 100% of the precincts reporting. What’s up, NBC? Weird.

Bush hasn’t made a statement, and I think everyone’s called it a night. He was waiting on someone in the media to call him the winner, which even Peter Jennings said was unnecessary. Bush has 51% of the popular vote (Clinton never did that) and a 4 million vote lead. He has 140,000 vote lead in Ohio (which some have called) and Nevada is done (which some have called.) NM looks like Bush’s, and Iowa, which won’t be “decided” until this afternoon, looks like his. Bush is looking to hit about 280ish in the electoral college, and a clear win of the popular vote.

Oh, and good-bye, Tom Daschle. Yay, says the GOP.

And November 3rd, it’s a good day to be a republic. Good night, my friends.

Edit: And I kinda meant this for the other thread, but it’s kinda relavent here, too. Sorry.

I guess concievably, but we’re pushing the boundaries of plausability.

Regardless, at this point the left shouldn’t be focused on it; if Kerry wins he’ll be damaged goods regardless. Focus on fixing this shit next time.

Why?
Well, I guess it’s important in a nation where you don’t keep track of your citizens.

As someone who thinks America’s gone down the completely wrong path with George W. Bush as President, I hope he wins Ohio b/c the country would be much worse if Kerry was elected despite losing by 3 million popular votes.

With 58 mil popular vote, Bush has now gotten several million more than Reagan '84 did and becomes the guy who got the most votes for president ever. Kerry coming in second, evidently, a few 100k over Reagan '84.

It was a big turnout, anyway.

I have to second this. Let 'em have it clean and with no excuses. Let’s see what they do. Be gracious and then hover over them like a vulture for the next four years. One thing I do predict is that all the scandals and investigations that were tamped down for this election will finally blow wide open.