Okja - Netflix, Snowpiecer and The Host had a baby

Looks pretty great.

Does anyone have more fun doing movies than Tilda Swinton? It doesn’t seem like it.

The Rock?

I’d have to say Jake Gyllenhaal, based upon his performance here.

Pretty dark movie - definitely not for the young 'uns.

Just saw this on Netflix and thought it was pretty, pretty great if almost totally bleak. The ending where they are walking out of the slaughter house looked like a scene from a Holocaust movie, so ugh.

Ryan Reynolds?

SPOILER! It had a happy ending, so it could have been a lot bleaker.

I liked it, maybe more than Snowpiercer even, but I felt it could have been stronger in a few places. Gyllenhaal’s character could have done with more screen time, or maybe just more work, to establish him as a believable human. He gets, what, three scenes of any length and is unbelievably cartoonish (even by Bong standards) in all of them (well, I guess the last one is believable in that he’s “on”).

I’m far from the first to mention this, but having the resistance group actually be the ALF was a weird choice, especially given how sympathetically they were generally portrayed (even if it wasn’t entirely black and white). The actual ALF are decidedly not non-violent, despite their official stance.

I thought it was okay. I would recommend with some caveats. Also the “Super Pigs” look more like bizarro CGI hippos.

I don’t get what’s interesting about this, as a sci fi movie, at all.

Industrialized animal slaughter for meat is wrong? That’s the point here? Jesus, how lame. I thought they were going to make Okja talk pidgin and be a lot more human / intelligent. That’d at least be an interesting twist and I frankly expected it, if the movie was to be as “dark” and “edgy” as I heard it was supposed to be.

BIG 👎, but Tilda is always great, of course, and Jake Gyllenhaal gets to chew up some scenery if that’s interesting to you.

Forget it, wumpus, it’s Joon-Ho Bong. Exaggerated social commentary is his schtick.

That aside, I do think he’s a good filmmaker. The CG in this is great, and it feeds into a couple of really cool set pieces that recall what he did in the opening of The Host.

-Tom

It has some cool set pieces yeah, but overall I liked it less than Snowpiercer and The Host.