Old Albums being changed for CD?

I’ve been re-buying some old albums I had on cassette and am finding that the CD versions aren’t always quite the same. Not in a bad way of missing tracks, but different as in having tracks on them that the original album didn’t.

I’ve seen it on a few of them, but just noticed it again with an old Chris Rea album. The CD version has two new songs on it.

Just wondered if anyone else has seen this.

It may sound weird, but after you listen to an album enough times it starts to have a flow to it so hearing some new songs is a bit disruptive. Luckily I can pull the songs out if I want to for my MP3 player, but I would kind of prefer they left the albums alone to what was originally released.

Queen’s Greatest Hits (from 1981) is like that for me - the two different versions are quite dissimilar in flow after having listened to the version released here on tape and LP so many times.

I’m expecting Under Pressure right after Bicycle Race and along comes You’re My Best Friend - it completely throws off my rhythm while singing in the car :)

Perhaps the two of you should quit listening to such horrible, godawful music?

And it’s taken you at least ten goddamn years to discover that labels add extra tracks to cd reissues? Seriously?

I almost want to nominate this as my favorite joke thread on cutiethree for 2007.

edit: I didn’t think it was possible, but this is actually worse than Machfive implying that Pantera was ever better than barely tolerable.

horrible, godawful music

Chris Rea’s “The Road to Hell” is a fantastic pop song. And calling Queen “godawful” is, shall we say, an idiosyncratic opinion.

You might want to go sober up before you post any more, tiohn.

As to the O.P., I remember Thomas Dolby’s “The Golden Age of Wireless” being different in CD form, with a different mix of “Radio Silence.” I think the album track list went through a couple iterations in the early '80s as well.

Are you shitting me?

You seem like an angry person.

The Offspring - Ixnay on the Hombre, cassette has a better ‘flow’ than the CD version. At the end of the day though, it doesn’t matter. CD can always be ripped to FLAC much easier than cassette and with no audio loss.
Cassette is dead, long live CD.

Come on. Pantera circa Cowboys through Vulgar was fantastic. Obviously if you have no interest in metal, you can take a raincheck from having to agree with me on this one, but who listens to metal and can’t appreciate Pantera?

Er, my apologies. I was engaging in wholesale douchebaggery, and for that I apologize.

Happy Holidays!

[tinytim]God bless us, one and all![/tinytim]

Jesus fucking christ, I swear I was almost about to post that.

Records and tapes were often organized by what would fit on one side of a disc/tape.

Obviously someone decided there was a better order once that limitation was lifted.

www.discogs.com has a bewilderingly massive database of information if you’re trying to track down specific releases.

That was the one that immediately came to my mind. To my knowledge, the LP mix of Radio Silence never made the digital transition. Perhaps it was one of those producer or label-mandated remixes that Dolby always resented.

Same with “Blue” on the Fine Young Cannibals’ brilliant first album. The horn was excised, never to be officially digitized.

Then there were albums like the Tubes’ Remote Control, where the song order on the cassette release was changed to make the album sides match (sure to save a few cents on the manufacturing). Makes for an odd transition to the “real” album order.