Old Battlefield games won't run

I picked up the Battlefield 1942 Complete Collection (all expansions plus Vietnam) and it no worky.

This is my new PC, so this install of Windows is only a couple days old. It’s an Athlon X2 3800+, BFG GeForce 7800GT, 2 gigs of RAM, and the Asus A8N-SLI motherboard with onboard sound. I’m using the newest nVidia drivers and audio drivers for the motherboard.

All the flavors of BF launch and get as far as loading levels. Once the levels load, there’s that intro screen with just the description of the level before you start the action. So far so good. Then you click start, and it brings up your map to select spawn points and the level actually starts, and at first, after just a few seconds, usually before I could select a spawn point, it freezes up. The audio stutters and loops forever, video freezes entirely. The computer responds to an alt-ctrl-del because my mouse will become visible, but the screen stays on the frozen game, so I have to end task with some guesswork on where the dialog box is showing up, just clicking blindly (which I’ve gotten pretty good at).

That was my initial problem. My hunch is that the problem is sound related because when I started tweaking settings, turning down various sound options, things started working better. I could actually get into levels and start playing, but never for more than about 10 minutes until it does the same thing, freezing up.

Anyone got any theories, or know anything about specific conflicts with my onboard sound or anything else? I know it’s a long post for such a specific problem, so I’m not very optimistic, but figured I’d give it a shot.

Unrelated, the demo for Battlefield 2 runs without a hitch.

Disable your onboard sound in your mobo BIOS and see if the games misbehave on you. If they do, go buy a cheap soundcard.