Old World: How does X work? Post your gameplay questions here!

Old World Screenshot 2021.07.09 - 14.38.55.24 (2)
Can anyone tell me what’s the “+2 points” mean in the screenshot here?

Per turn?

Thanks @SorenJohnson and @tomchick, I’m guessing that a tactician leader must be what I was remembering. I really like the “scouts hide in trees” thing as it gives my scouts something useful to do during a war when I don’t have spare orders lying around, and it feels thematic. And it is important to see how many more units the enemy has to throw into the grinder.

I had a real WWI-style attrition fest with the Persians over Aquileia (which they had previously taken from the Romans). They kept throwing archers and axemen at it and one by one my cataphracts were getting pulled down. Fortunately when I finally took the city an event fired and they offered peace, essentially due to exhaustion, which was a perfectly accurate summary of the situation!

Victory points.

Ah, yes, of course. Could be a little clearer though. +2VP perhaps.

Yeah, it’s inconsistent on that tooltip. When you complete the wonder it says +2 VPs.

Interesting! By favor does that actually mean no random chance, or any other factors like preferring cities with fewer religions already?

Yes, that’s what it says in the tooltip, duh…

Yes, it is less likely to go to cities with a lot of religions.

Turns out - just learned this by checking the code - religion spread it limited by distance. It will spread to within 12 tiles of the holy city, with this distance going up by 1 for each city in the world that has the religion, so the max distance starts at 13 (the holy city itself counts as +1) and then gradually increases.

That’s not something you’d just guess.

Is it weird that I wish this was in the religion’s tooltip? It’s weird, isn’t it? I freely admit sometimes I go overboard. One of these days there’s going to be a BUG mod for Old World and I am going to install the holy hell out of it as soon as it’s available. :)

-Tom

I never got an answer for this one:

I’ll end up testing it anyway, but are Tactician leaders with ranged armies lurking in forests as powerful as I’m guessing they are? They can just attack without being attacked back or losing their Hidden status?

-Tom

(these will be in the update next week)

Soren mentioned earlier that rivers affect movement like roads, and when I asked him how it interacted with the Colonies law (neutral rivers work like roads), he said that’s what he was talking about. Which I took to mean – I think incorrectly – rivers affect movement like roads only when you have the Colonies law.

But this is from a game where I don’t have the Colonies law in effect. Here’s an archer using his two points of movement to move two spaces.

OW move 2

But he’s able to move three spaces if he goes to this hex.

OW move 3

And it seems to me that’s happening because the two hexes to the NE are connected by a river. Although I’m a bit confused that only one of them is in friendly territory. So I think I must have misunderstood Soren’s answer, but it appears to me that rivers in Friendly territory work as if there were roads in their adjacent hexes. Is that correct?

-Tom

(I believe it is a bug here - both river tiles should be friendly.)

BTW, I love that rivers block ZOC. The -50% melee is nice, but the interruption to ZOC is even nicer. And that movement bonus gives rivers so much more gameplay weight. I don’t know if it’s just because I’m digging deep into the mechanics, but I’m paying far more attention to rivers in Old World than I have in other games.

-Tom

I’m bad with games like this and just get locked in and forget to save. Lost about 20 years of interesting progress last night when the game locked on me.

Question: is it possible to set the game to auto save every say 5 turns?

Same here because I like building roads to make troop movement faster so I need less units, and rivers save me the trouble where they go in the general direction I need.

Doesn’t the autosave folder have your last 10 turns saved? They aren’t labeled by turn number, so I could be mistaken, but my autosave folder has a whole mess of recent saves in it.

-Tom

You’re right I see auto saves numbered 0-9 from yesterday evening, going to load up and see what those are, fingers crossed.

Update: You’re right, that’s what those are! Thanks to you we’re back on and the world at least for the moment is spinning in greased grooves once again.

Update 2: Alas, my optimism was premature, I’ve tried 3 or 4 saves and they all lead to a game lock on the Greek’s turn. And I’ve tried multiple saves and done multiple different things to see if a change of events would get it off this track to no avail. Submitted a log, which had the added benefit it would appear of moving me on to the next turn, trouble is I now have to hit that button every turn to get past whatever is sticking it on the Greek turn. This it would appear is a campaign ending bug unless I want to fall back 20 years.

Check in the auto-save directory. I had this happen to me, and was able to get back to the turn before it crashing. I should have read the rest of the thread.

Speaking crashes, does it automatically upload anything or is there something we can upload to help? It looked like when it happened it might be saving state or something.