Old World: How does X work? Post your gameplay questions here!

WHAT? I had no idea.

I had a look for that yesterday. OldWorld\Reference contains Source and xml folders. The source code is in C# built on the Unity engine. On the minus side, the first file I looked at was about 16000 lines long, with no comments or regions (but well named functions, so thatā€™s something).

Letā€™s talk about succession planning.

Iā€™m trying to work on relationships more (what can I say, Iā€™m growing as a person) and I get the influence and intercession missions (thanks Tom!). What I donā€™t get is what modifiers persist through a leaderā€™s death, and which are particular to a given leader.

Obviously the ā€œbitter people donā€™t like romanticsā€ stuff is directly interpersonal, but otherā€™n that Iā€™m kinda lost.

Also:

What affects max training?

The annoying thing about abdication is that it scuppers relationship investments.

Max Training/Civics is always 2000.

Got it, thanks.

The improvement chains ā€“ Odeon > Theater > Amphitheater, etc ā€“ they each need their own tile, right? They donā€™t build on top of one another?

The Palace is letting me build next to the Ministry instead of the Courthouse, which is confusing.

Yes, they each need their own tile. (Although the Judge leader can upgrade the Improvements on the same tile.)

Oh, interesting about Judges. Probably that will be super important in certain situations.

My Spymaster wants to have more Knowledge of Carthage before he can Steal Research from them. Have not had any luck finding that in the help-pedia. I have a ton of Agent Networks in Carthaginian cities, but that doesnā€™t seem to be affecting it.

So, whatā€™s this Knowledge (of a rival) situation?

(Thanks Soren for answering all the questions here and in the other OW threads!)

Itā€™s their relative # of techs to you. You can see it if you mouse over their player info in the upper right.

Q: If a unit with a General is killed, does the General automatically die?

-Tom

Not positive, but pretty sure the answer is no. Iā€™ve had a unit with the general get killed and I donā€™t believe I lost the general.

Someone will be along shortly to correct me.

Thereā€™s no hidden benefit, but you cannot usually judge whether an AI abdication is a good decision - the new leader might not be better purely going by stats, but it could be that the new leader substantially improves family relations due to their traits, and/or improves the economy due to having a better spouse.

That said, the AI could be misjudging, too. I found a bug yesterday with the AIā€™s evaluation of the related ā€œChosen Heirā€ mission, and there could still be mistakes when it comes to abdication.

No, in fact itā€™s rare. There are some events when a generalā€™s unit is killed, some of those events may kill the general, but itā€™s only a handful of events at most. Thereā€™s no fixed chance like the 4% (to be 5%) Injury chance.

There may be some bugs confusing people:
training

EDIT: Iā€™m not sure where the extra 4 came from, but the 50 training from kills with a hero ruler seem to go right in at max. On reflection, maybe its not a bug but working as designed if it goes back to 2000 at the end of turn, but then some visual clue like 2050/2000 would help a lot.

Yes, it only goes down to 2000 between turns.

Thirded that some kind of warning that youā€™re over cap would be a lovely piece of UX fluff. Pretty low priority/impact overall though I suppose, itā€™s not like the hard unmoving 2k limit is that hard to remember or deal with.

e: And probably doesnā€™t come up that much in more competitive games anyway. The only reason it did for me was, I suspect, that I was playing on The Just and had an ambition to stockpile 2k training.

You do get a note in the long procession of new turn notifications at the bottom that X [training/civics] was converted to Y [order/money(?)], but by the time you have enough production to do that, you probably also have a million and a half notifications down there.

Oh for sure, thatā€™s how I noticed it in the first place. Iā€™m fastidious about my notifications in OW.

Also, man, the conversion of training > orders is aaaaaassssssssssss.

I actually suspect staying near your 2000 training cap would be pretty common in competitive games, its your reserve for quick military strikes or response.