Old World: How does X work? Post your gameplay questions here!

Definitely. I now want this in every game I play.

Edit: reminds me a little bit of another game from awhile back that gave you an undo button of sorts: Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.

Can you say a bit more? I speculated that tribal city sites improve their fortifications only after hitting the unit cap of 4. Is that what explains why this tribal city site wonā€™t top out as a Bastion until turn 133? Some nation popped ~3 units, causing a 30+ turn delay?

The turns are also modified by the Tribe Level - what level are you playing on?

I donā€™t know. The only way Iā€™ve found to check my difficulty setting is to read the Upset tooltip on a family (+10% chance of rebels is hardest, +5% chance are second and third hardest, no chance of rebels means easier than third hardest). Is there another way to check? All my families are happy.

Mouse over the menu icon in the upper left

@SorenJohnson, I have to say you have gotta be up there for MVP in terms of availability and answering questions from your players. Your responsiveness in this thread has been off the charts and above what anyone could expect, IMO.

Chris Park over at Arcen Games is the only other one I know of to be at that level, but heā€™s a one-man shop these days so itā€™s a little different. In any case, thanks for taking the time!

Heā€™s better than even my imaginary game dev self would be!

The patch notes for December 15 say " * Added event to allow for counter espionage."
The detailed patch notes list 49 new events. Do some of those events allow me to oust an enemy agent so my capital doesnā€™t have to Repair Damage 25% of the time? How do I influence the probability of receiving this event?

The AI had a bug which led to way to many Treachery missions. I think the fix might be in this update but the next one for sure. Either way, there are now events which can counter-act AI espionage if you have a Spymaster (but, again, the AI will eventually do them MUCH less).

Ah, here were the settings.

Is there a way to connect with other players of the Game of The Week? I donā€™t grasp the curation of settings. I canā€™t compare my outcomes to other players of the scenario. From this playerā€™s perspective, itā€™s just ā€œrandom settingsā€ under a different name.

Thereā€™s a channel on the Discord where players compare results. The traffic has gone up and down over time, so Iā€™m not sure how active it is now.

Two basic questions. Two advanced questions.

Combat. The interfaceā€™s ability to quickly help me figure out how to maneuver has allowed me to enjoy every campaign so far. But I remain ignorant of how my unit strength is relevant to the number of red HP blocks Iā€™m going to take off with my next attack.

How is HP damage calculated? It appears to follow from the ratio of attack to defense.
Are combat bonuses additive or mulplicative with each other?

Are character traits, many of which come on the back of experience rewards and look like a promotion, dependent any player choice, or are they completely random? Iā€™ve noticed that civil and social themed traits like Inspiring (culture boost) or Eloquent (civic hammer boost) seem to clump on governors, while my generals get Fierce (boost vs. infantry) or Bloodthirsty (boost vs. damage units). I think this is because the options presented during level ups follow a pattern. The question is, what?

Do you construe some traits, like Intelligence, as genetic, and others less heritable, like Horsebane?

Strength boosts are additive. i.e., Chariot of strength 5, +10% for home territory, +10% for Strike I, +5% for pleased = 6.2 strength. If it were mulplicative itā€™d be 5 * 1.1 * 1.1 * 1.05 = 6.35.

I found another answer here on the wiki.

The attacker deals damage to the defender according to the formula 6 * (Attacker Strength) / (Defender Strength). The result is rounded up if the Attacker Strength is greater than the Defender Strength, and rounded down if the Attacker Strength is less than the Defender Strength. Note this means it is possible for the attacker to deal 0 damage.

Only certain units (such as the Spearmen) will deal retaliation damage.

Iā€™ve never done 0 damage, and Iā€™m doubtful that Spearmen deal any retaliation damage beyond the -1hp for melee attacking a melee unit. But Iā€™ll keep my eyes open.

There is a minimum of 1 damage per attack.

This is the wiki to follow as it is the one we are hosting (and updating): Old World Wiki

Many of the traits have a certain Rating requirements. For example, a character canā€™t get Inspiring if they have negative Charisma. (Also, an Uncouth character canā€™t become Inspiring, and vice-versa.)

Ah, I had noticed that getting out of negatives on traits kills a lot of bad events. Those -1s to discipline can add up, especially since some of the <-1 events seem to increase your deficit in those stats. I also noticed that once you get at least 2 into a stat the narrative seems to treat that character like a Brainy, Wordy, Brave, Strict person. In a recent update Iā€™ve seen several options gated by (>2 stat). Did you make it display, or are these new events?

One cool impact of the >2 threshold is that your heirs coming out of academy often have several 1s or -1s in stats, and these relegate the character to the backburner of history, whereas the characters who are able to stack enough in one stat can keep increasing the stat throughout their life. Or fall into disrepute, like fucking Romulus. They are borne on a precipice, often, and using an event to tap them in the right direction gets the ball rolling.

Re: Combat, Iā€™m noticing that the 8/5 ratio (1.6) is a key one. Itā€™s enough to two-shot an enemy unit instead of three. The ratio of 6/5.1 (1.17) is enough to kill in three instead of four.

Why is my chariot about to suffer -2hp in retaliation?

You suffer an extra hit point while routing.

@Lord_Chambers, it sounds like youā€™re not aware that thereā€™s actually a manual for Old World, because most of the questions youā€™re asking would be resolved with a quick and simple RTFM. :)

Not that thereā€™s anything wrong with using the thread to ask questions, but it would be a lot faster for you to find the answers to these relatively straightforward questions in the manual rather than posting them here and waiting for someone to weigh in. Just a heads-up, since I know Mohawk really scrambled to provide that manual after the release and itā€™s a thorough one.

-Tom