Old World: How does X work? Post your gameplay questions here!

I think you are given the cognomen that’s worth the most out of those you’ve achieved. I’m not really sure, they don’t seem to matter much bar flavour.

Getting 6 shrines does indeed require polytheism.

Nope, those are the two ways of claiming a city site. The unit can be a scout or worker if you have more of those spare.

I don’t know of a list of how resources are used, but it doesn’t matter too much due to how easy they are to exchange at the market. If they’re going up in price, that’s a good sign you should be manufacturing more of them.

I guess the two worth mentioning are stone and wood. Stone seems to always be in short supply except in the very early game (and even then if you want wonders). It’s used for basically all urban buildings, which are extremely valuable once unlocked.
Wood is an oddity in that you need a fair bit of tech before you can produce it consistently. Otherwise you’ll be spending a bunch of orders harvesting it (or a bunch of gold buying it, I guess). So make sure to push for that tech as soon as there’s nothing else more urgent.

I’m pretty sure each time you get a new cognomen, you get the +10 legitimacy. Each one has different criteria to achieve it so you just get them as you meet those criteria. Other than the legitimacy I don’t think they give you anything.

I guess the main thing I had trouble with (though I seem to be working it out as I play more) are the global training and civics pools. It’s hard to know how much to focus on them or pick them as event rewards when you don’t know what they are used for.

If they’re low, it’s often a bit of a problem. You need civics to enact laws and training to appoint generals (and promote units quickly). And training can be spent extremely quickly as you can turn it into extra orders.

I often find that after a while they keep flying up until they hit the cap, but that’s probably me being lazy and failing to spend them effectively.

So I don’t rate them highly as event rewards in general, but I’ll take them if I’m feeling short of that resource.

Science rewards, on the other hand, I can’t get enough of. (Particularly in the first Carthage scenario, where you need a lot of science. I missed out on an epic victory by less than a turn’s worth of science.)

For Cognomens, you only get new ones if they are better than your previous one (“better” meaning it’s worth more Legitimacy.) The Cognomen of your previous Leaders give you Legitimacy too but it goes down each time you get a new Leader.

Is there anywhere in game you can see a list of all of the cognomens (cognomina?), what they’re worth in legitimacy and your progress towards them? They always seem to come a bit out of the blue.

I believe they are listed in the Encyclopedia?

You’re mostly right, but as the resident Old World pedant, I can’t help but note for the record that it’s possible to have six shrines if you just conquer another nation’s cities with shrines. :)

But, yes, the more feasible way is with polytheism.

You probably already know this, but if you tooltip the actual word in your cognomen, you get a ton of details about why you have the cognomen you have, including how many points you have in various categories.

-Tom

A fine pedantic point. But in the context of the first Carthage scenario, there are no other nations present.

In that case, game, set, and match to @rho21! :)

-Tom

How is this not the first thing in this thread, or pinned or something? Or even listed in the extras section of the menu? Source code equals a hell of a lot of documentation (assuming it’s not a spaghetti mess with mutable globals everywhere).

Is there any way to see the completed projects in a city apart from inferring them from resource tooltips?

Do you mean forums, archives etc? If so, there’s a set of icons at the top of the city details in the bottom left:

Thanks, I overlooked that bit of the UI.

I have often wondered, what can one do with the source code?

I assume it takes a Wizard (game programmer) to understand another Wizard’s spells(code)?

C# is a lot more readable than some languages. If you are looking at understanding a specific calculation or logic you should be able to search and make sense of it. However, if you are trying to understand the “big picture” of how the entire game links together, you’ll need to have a bit of experience with game programming logic. If the entire source code is available for a compile, you should be able to do anything.

Main things are working out the exact rules that apply, and finding exact formulas. Would definitely help in terms of making mods too. If you can work out how to build the code (not always a given), then you can make altered versions of the game for yourself (though due to copyright they wouldn’t be shareable). As for understandably by non game programmers, it’s hard to answer due to the curse of knowledge. I have never programmed games but do programming for my day job, and can usually make sense of game source code when it comes to game rules and formulas (less so when it comes to graphics, UI, and engine code). For a non programmer, I really don’t know how much use it would be. The one thing the code doesn’t answer at all is “why”. It tells you precisely what happens, but precisely nothing about why.

Unless the code is commented and following GDocP.

something i just ran into that i cant find mentioned in the enclycopedia or manual is that i cant seem to build roads in the desert. is that right or am i missing something?

As far as I remember, you can’t build roads on sand. Priest families may be an exception to this rule, but I can’t say for sure.