Old World: How does X work? Post your gameplay questions here!

OK, so cautious is a broad category encompassing a fairly broad range, look at tool tip to see what’s what specifically.

I ask because I just did a trade deal with Babylon and was expecting more than us to still be cautious.

Edit: and until I can get them to pleased peace is off the table

I wouldn’t even say the need is for “dumbed-down” so much as “zoomed-out.” Big to small. Like that “powers of ten” film boomers were so proud of and made the rest of us watch for decades. Start at the galaxy level and then zoom in to an ant. Slowly.

Data is numbers. But knowledge is what numbers mean and how they relate and why they matter.

Yeah, the -200% modifier doesn’t affect the +21% from Courage as a General. I’ll move that line up to make it more clear. They do essentially cancel each other out which is why your strength is 5 * 1.05.

I almost missed this, but…in Old World, Sarah Palin propose to you! I do love how you can rename new characters as soon as they appear. It’s one of those little touches that I’m surprised Crusader Kings never implemented. The ability to make everything more directly personal.

-Tom

They families also have names, which help a bit with what they are skilled at. Clerics, they found religions and are easier to make priests. Sages, yup you guessed good at researching. Saite/Landowners are farmers, and miners. Riders, (also Champions, Hunters) make better military units. Connection is helpful, basically makes cities marginally more productive, but you also can connect cities with roads (and rivers also count as roads). So its an early temporary advantage.

So in the case of Egypt if you want to play them as a builder (like I do). My first city is land owners, cause they make good farmers, and I can build workers and settlers quickly. The second city is generally clerics, and the 3rd is Sages. But… my military is weak and at higher levels, barbarian, minor tribes and the other nation can all be threat. Chariots (the go to Egyptian unit) are 25% stronger in your home area, when they are built in Rider cites, and generally will be built faster.

But having a Cleric family means you’ll be able to start your own religion, which is also a big deal. Of course a tech lead is always nice,.so Sages are decent also.

Figuring this stuff out is really the essence of the game repeatability experience.

You can also lose if your king/queen dies without leaving an heir. It’s unlikely. There are ways of acquiring heirs if you don’t have any natural ones - adoption is one way.

Is there any way to chase away another empire unit parked on a potential city spot?

You have to declare war and take it away from them. Stealing city spots is part of the game and AI is pretty good at doing it. Likewise, you need to keep a unit on city spot or the AI will take come in and put their own unit at the location.

That’s what I thought. Well then, no one can blame me for attacking those bastards.

For those who find videos helpful, I was watching this while I treadmilled this morning, and PotatoMcWhiskey seemed to be explaining the kinds of things new players would want to be thinking about (after several minutes of idle chatter).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdRcn3rDHEw&t=2775s

I know, it’s not a methodical resource for looking things up, but I figured it might point people in the right direction.

What’s a “semester?”

A turn, if you’re playing on the slower game mode. Half a year.

Thanks!

Next question: I fell into a timeless slumber while reading people trying to figure out numbers above, but can anyone tell me if Tom’s questions about attributes or whatever they’re called got answered? Also, can anyone tell me if Tom’s question about what attributes are called got answered? Also, what year is it?

For real, 3 becomes 12, but 4 becomes 40. Why?

The character who has the 3 is also Upset, which means negative 50%, but to what?

Re the last question. Yes, it did get answered, to the mighty Tom’s satisfaction, by the head of Mohawk Games no less. So all terribly spiffing, high level and authoritative.

But just in case you can’t find the reply, the characters have bonuses (and maluses) associated with them which are also affected by their attitude to you. If they like you a lot then, obvs, those bonuses achieve bonuses. You can affect how they like you in at least a couple of ways, one being spending resources and the other following the mini-plot lines to their satisfaction. I’ve been playing for about two-three months now and this is certainly not immediately obvious, but I can assure you it does become clear.

I haven’t played in several months, but I do remember that one hot tip was this wasn’t a linear scale. That a 4th point of wisdom, for example, adds a lot more than a 2nd point does. I assume that that is still the case, and that that is what you are referring to.

So… what’s the answer? Can someone break down the math for me in this particular case?

Here’s the post:

Huh, didn’t even spot there was a slower game mode. The wondrous bounty of the internet.

Yessir! There’s also an option to slow character aging as well.

Sorry to have to “actually” you, @SeaGreen, but it definitely did not get answered. :(

That was suggested upthread, but if it’s a hot tip, it wasn’t offered here as an answer. :( If that’s the case, that makes it all the more important that the goddamn game tells us that! If there’s a dramatic difference when I add a fourth point of charisma, but only a mild difference if I instead add a first point of discipline, that means it’s really really fucking important that you somehow communicate that to the player. Sorry if I sound like I’m ranting at you, @FinnegansFather. It’s just really frustrating that I’ve been playing for literally dozens of hours without knowing that.

Anyway, I’m still confused by how the bonuses for primary stats or attributes or statistics or WiCoChaDi work, and it’s really frustrating that the game isn’t interested in telling me. It speaks volumes that I still don’t even know what those values are called, and there’s nowhere I can go to find out. So I guess we’ll refer to them as WiCoChaDi values: widsom, courage, charisma, discipline. WiCoChaDi.

Again, Old World feels like a game made by and for people who already know how to play. I’m not sure if it’s disappointing or to be expected after a long early access period. Should early access help hone the new user experience, or does it just gloss over the need for it entirely? I’m starting to suspect the latter.

-Tom

Old World is nothing if not flexible. The way the game options let you jigger the overall experience is kind of daunting, in a good way! I mean, just the map scripts themselves seem like they’re going to open up all sorts of different ways to play. One of those “this may be the last game you ever need” situations.

-Tom