Old World Manual - Link Now Added! :)

Minor typo / question on page 65: “If your opponent has comparable tech, you need to be “much stronger” to attack effectively. If you’re comparable in tech, “stronger” will work”

Is that supposed to read “learned” and “competent”?

Hey there, and thank you! Yep…will make that change now…just putting a few more refinements in place and she’s just about ready! :)

It’d be really helpful if there was PDF index. In Word it’s a bit hidden in the PDF save options (create bookmarks from headers or somesuch), can’t remember if Libreoffice does it automagically.

Super minor note that with this week’s patch, Spymaster now gives Family Opinion and Ambassador now gives Religion Opinion (the two swap in the Heir Education table in the appendix).

Thank you again for the amazing manual, and looking forward to it being officially published and marketed – I predict it’ll draw new folks to the game (as it did me!)

Updated! Version 1.17…now includes notes on the edge case when you can assign generals to mercs (in the carthage section, tho technically it could apply to anyone with a Zealot leader (capture function) or an Orator (buy via Legitimacy).
Also fiddled around till I found the PDF options, so that’s squared away, and made the adjustment re: Alcaras’ note on Ambassador/Spymaster.
Links to Soren’s design notes also included!

Thanks a lot for this great manual! I’m halfway through and enjoying it a lot.
As feedback, on page 54 (version 1.17 from reddit):

Don’t be shy about building Shrines, the adopting a World Religion

Shouldn’t it say “Don’t be shy about building Shrines, then adopting a World Religion”?
I don’t know about the mechanics since I’m quite new to the game, but I found myself wondering about that, in my second game I avoided using shrines and went straight to found a world religion to avoid the character unhappiness penalty.

It’s still 1.11 here :’(

Edit: nevermind, onedrive weirdness: it’s 1.11 in one window, 1.17 in the other!

Welcome to the forum, Federico.

I still see 1.11 too FWIW. So maybe OneDrive servers aren’t synchronized / up to date yet.

I tried to copy the link that is working for me, to no avail. Hurray for Microsoft!

Good catch! Will make that change this morning.
Re: Shrines - The game has gone thru a number of iterations on that front. It used to be the case that Paganism was hands down the better choice. Then, for a while, you wanted absolute purity and world religions were better.
In the latest iteration, you can take a balanced approach with a couple of caveats.
My preferred methodology of handling religions is this:
Found a world religion if you’re able. If not, then co-opt one from a neighbor.
Take the Theology “Mythology” for Tier One, which adds culture to pagan shrines (well, to all religious buildings, including shrines). This creates synergy between your world religion and your strain of paganism and makes all the shrines (even the kinda crap ones, and there are a few of those spread across the playable nations) really good.
I don’t usually build shrines until I unlock polytheism and can build unlimited. When you get to that stage, really commit to it tho…go on a shrine building rampage. Each one you build improves your relationship score with the head of the pagan religion, so even if one of your families adopts it, you’re still covered by good relations. Best of both worlds. :)