Old World (pka Ten Crowns) from Soren Johnson

Great to hear!

Oh, snap! I’m in, whatever it is!

Yay!!

Hmm if an expansion adds civs, let’s guess what they would be…

If we stick with the geographic range of the initial game, then there’s a few obvious choices:

Sumerians - Let’s get some Gilgamesh going, and a civ with some cultural bonuses I would guess, maybe some river/irrigation bonuses as well. I suppose you could do a whole thing about having the Sumerians be heavily river based.

Mycenaean Greeks - Agamemnon baby! Combat bonus, bonuses for adopting Epics, bonuses for generals/individual military leaders (like Champions on steroids)

Minoans - Minos - bonuses for livestock - not sure what else was distinct about this Civ? My knowledge is weak.

If the game goes beyond the Ancient Med/Near East, then there’s tons of cool options - various Chinese Dynasties, multiple options in Africa, India and southeast Asia. I don’t recall if Korea and Japan go back far enough to fit the game’s time period. As a practical matter, I could see an Old World 2 set in the eastern/southern Old World with a somewhat different tech tree.

Take my money, Soren. Take it.

He’s already there.

I’m pretty sure on one of the podcasts I listened to where he discussed the future plans for the game it sounded like they were already looking at expanding the geographical range from where they were going to select new civs.

I vote for mythology!

Is there a Gilgamesh and the Sumerians? I don’t remember that.

I checked my install - I don’t see any Sumerian or Gilgamesh option. The game does have Bablyon/Nebuchadnezzar and Assyria/Ashurbanipal but no Sumerians or Gilgamesh AFAIK.

Question for Mr. Soren Johnson or anyone affiliated with Old World

How come we cannot pre-select from among the families at the start of a game? We can only randomize them. For Leaders we can change their archetype in addition to randomizing and I find I am really enjoying that. (Tactician - stuns with attack is awesome.)

I’m forever hitting New Map when I start a game having had to randomize the families until I get 3 that I want. Landowners is a must and what I always want to establish first city; also holding out for 2 or more crop tiles accessible from the start. After that I typically want Clerics to found a religion early. Then I will take the Artisans or the Hunters depending on the early availability of the resources they are best at.

Are you looking at Civ 6? Gilgamesh is one of the civs from the initial release. I’m sure of it because he’s great to become buddy buddies with anytime he appears.

Sir this is a Wendy’s, er, Old World thread.

Well that’s a big oops! I’ll just go back to captaining my US aircraft carrier towards a lighthouse.

I got mixed up which thread I was in earlier as well since the Civ6 thread was being bumped with talk of an expansion at the same time. :)

While scrolling through the list of Grammy nominees, I was pleased to see that Christopher Tin picked up a Grammy nomination in the Best Video Game Music category for Old World, as well as another in the Best Classical Compendium category for his album The Lost Birds (with Voces8 and Royal Philharmonic Orchestra).

WOOHOO!!!

Well-deserved congratulations to you all.

I guess there are some talented people who go to Stanford…

Go Bears (Cal vs Stanford football game is this weekend).

OH SHIT YES.

Thanks! Maybe Tom will now play with the music turned on… or maybe we have to win a Grammy first for that?

Did Tom listen to the soundtrack for Civ IV?

New DLC incoming!