Old World (pka Ten Crowns) from Soren Johnson

hmmm… maybe! We’ve got >2500 event now, so it’s hard to keep track.

Generally speaking, it is good to use your leader as either a General or Governor for multiple reasons (they get XP, have good stats, special events, etc.)

I bought that game as soon as it got into the early access and now I can’t play cause I know it will be better later. But it looks fine and playable now! What’s missing and is planned for full release apart from additional content and general improvements? Has the game actually had a stealth secret release already?

Excited for this feature:

https://www.mohawkgames.com/2021/03/11/old-world-play-by-cloud-unlocked/

One of the most exciting new ways to play Old World with your current (and soon-to-be former) friends is the new Play by Cloud mode. The game passes the save back and forth between players automatically, notifying each one via email when it is time to play his or her turn. This format is great for players with unpredictable schedules and who like to take as much time as necessary to execute the perfect turn. Great for busy friends separated by time and distance.

Play by Cloud is now available under the Multiplayer menu. Click New Game to choose the settings, enter your friends’ emails, and then hit Start Game to begin. Our Cloud server will handle the rest. The Mohawk team is currently in the middle of a massive seven-player Old World free-for-all Cloud game and highly recommends the experience!

With that and the Mac support being tested so we can use more of our devices, I’m looking forward to some family games!

Awesome, can’t remember a game with built-in pbem support before. I’ve played MP Civ VI like that (using playyourdamnturn.com), it’s a great way to play if you’re serious about strategy.

Hopefully that means M1 testing as well. If not, I am sure a couple of us here would be glad to help our @SorenJohnson.

Edit: I just realized the EGS has a Mac client now, is that new? Old World is still Windows only though.

I think they eventually added async multiplayer to civ 6 itself, but it is a nice thing to see added. I wish more 4x games did it.

That’s a great to see the feature get built in for people that like async multiplayer. I’ve never been able to get into the async stuff when it comes to 4X games but I know that’s a big deal for a lot of people. Nice work!

Sounds like Civ IV’s Pitboss, which I liked quite a bit.

What it reminds me of is Giant Multiplayer Robot for Civ 5.

We have both a pitboss mode (which means a headless version of the game that is always running, so good a timed game, one turn every 24 hours, for example) and a play-by-cloud mode (which is more like a pbem mode where the cloud handles passing the save around - only one player has it at a time).

Play by Cloud with Characters ON is really fun - much more than I anticipated. I always figured it would be a bad idea for MP…

I know the mobile version supports asynch (currently playing in three games) without special measures, but, for the PC version, I think all players need to be online to join an asynch game, after which turns can be taken in the typical asynch fashion.

Looks like its Civ VI support has come a long way since the game’s release! Is anyone organizing PYDT Civ VI games here?

I had never even opened the Epic Games store until today when I decided to see what exclusives they have and the first thing I saw was Old World and Mohawk Games and got excited. I have kinda burned out on Civ formula. I played a ton of Civ IV and then drifted away though I have tried V and VI. I did really like what Endless Legend did so I am looking forward to Humankind, too.

Knowing Mohawk’s pedigree, I read some previews to get a “how is this different even though on the surface it looks like Civ” feel and read this on a year old RPS preview:

It reminded me more than anything else of Offworld Trading Company, Mohawk’s debut game about economic domination of the solar system. And once I started thinking with an OTC mindset, Old World clicked immediately.

SOLD. I realize this preview is a year old, but it sounds like a lot of what they discussed is still there and being improved and refined.

I loved everything about OTC. It had a more boardgamey feel and then I remembered I listened to Soren on some podcast where I believe he said he looked at board game mechanics in designing it. It may have been one with designer Geoff Engelstein (who has an amazing brain for game design and analysis)…but I could be misremembering.

So, guess I’ll be installing the Epic game store.

Good luck to Mohawk, Soren and Leyla. Looking forward to trying this based on what I’ve read and the discussion thus far.

P.S. I noted Offworld has continued to get some content releases. I redownloaded on my new PC over the weekend and excited to dive back in. From a “Have you played…” article on RPS from a few months ago: “Offworld Trading Company is one of the smartest bits of game design in the last decade, and manages to be a lot of fun at the same time - give it a go.”. Agreed.

Old World is great. I think you’ll like it.

Cheers, it is a bit overwhelming going from mostly console gaming (sporadically) the last 3 years or so to having a working PC again and now having a glut of things to try. :)

Genuinely excited for this. If this can do for the Civ formula what OTC did for resource development and management games, I’ll be deliriously happy.

Any word on when it’s coming out of early access?

I saw that same comment a long time ago, and I confess that I don’t understand that comment at all. I’m not saying it’s wrong, just maybe I’m totally missing something…

I tried OTC for a couple of hours, but bounced hard off of it. I felt like I was playing a spreadsheet, and I just couldn’t get emotionally attached to the numbers. I realize a lot of people love the game, but as much as I like complex games, this just didn’t do it for me. Admittedly, I didn’t give it much of a shot.

I’ve played an equal amount of Old World and the game just feels alive, filled with interesting decisions and characters. It’s got the comfort of a 4x vibe, yet is fresh enough to really make me curious to see what the final product will be like.

Just to be clear, I didn’t think they meant, It’s OTC in CivLand. ANd the author of the preview may not have meant that exactly either. Having not tried it yet, I obviously don’t know. I picked that quote only to validate a purchase I was going to make anyway based on who is involved in the design.

For me, I actually do not generally like spreadsheety management games all that much. However, as someone who has been playing a lot of hobby boardgames the last 10 years, I could feel the influence of those on the game well before I heard the podcast I referenced. A lot of the games I like you score a bunch of points, but it is the choices you make and how you get there that is interesting as there are multiple paths to victory. I felt OTC gave you choices that made the game interesting and made it more than a game where you watch numbers go up and down. It felt as if I was acquiring buildings and placing them on a board and receiving bonuses and resources that I could then use to score more points.

I do need to revisit it and I could better describe why I liked it…in the appropriate thread. :)

I don’t think they have firmed anything up yet in my quick perusal of info.

Makes sense, fair play for sure. I mention it because I almost didn’t buy the game when I saw that comment. :)

I started a game last night to see how things have evolved since I last played, which was a long time ago (maybe a year?).

Wow, I’m really impressed. Things feel less fragmented and gameplay is much smoother now than I remember it. I absolutely love the Crusader Kings-like ruler and family dynasty aspects, and it feels like they’ve drawn a good line with the scope of the feature.

It was really easy to jump into a game and start playing, and although there were a number of things to learn, it all feels so welcoming and engaging. I was thinking to just play 20 minutes or so, but I ended up playing about an hour and would have kept going if it weren’t so late.

There are lots of fun little touches, too, like being able to name land masses if you’re the first one to explore them.

I did notice a LOT of error messages though. They kept showing up in yellow at the top left of the screen, sometimes in red. A lot of them seemed to be “too many requests” types of things, while the red ones seemed be achievement related.

Anyone else play lately and run into this sort of thing? They were common enough that it made me wonder if I’d be able to make it through a whole game without issues.