Old World (pka Ten Crowns) from Soren Johnson

I’ve got to run, but I skimmed the thread and found one person that sated they are skipping the game for now from your dairy:

And another that even owns it but isn’t going to even try it until it’s “simmered” a bit more.

And for everyone that posts they did something… anyway, I just thought about that yesterday while reading the diary myself and it sort of bummed me out, especially when I hit orald’s post, because (like you) I think this is an incredible strategy game, and in far better shape than the vast majority of games of this type I have tried at 1.0.

I’m mostly disappointed in the people who played Early Access. Did none of them actually provide Mohawk with feedback when they were new players? No one suggested that they should have “right-click to move” appear on the screen somewhere after selecting a unit?

So that’s money they’ll spend on another developer’s game, or medical bills, or putting their kid through college. Or a couple months of Netflix. What’s the problem?

Doesn’t right-click move units in almost every strategy game? It’s surely not commonly “right click” to select? In any case, when I played (for just a few hours) I didn’t have any problems following along with the action or using the control scheme, so I never felt the need to suggest anything different. Then again, I also recognized this as a potentially amazing experience so I waited for 1.0 to really dive in.

Honestly, the biggest issue I have with you two, is you raise the level of curtesy, professionalism, and responsiveness I expect from developers to unrealistically high levels.i.e. you make everyone else look bad!

So to echo Kevin the game is in great shape, especially for 1.0. I haven’t played in about 6 months and I’m really enjoying all of the new events.

My other comment is I think people want more than just how to learn the game. I think they also want access to the information they need to master the game. So for instance, in the OW gameplay thread
@SeaGreen explained that portraits are color code on the relationship status with you. I think I intuitively grasped sometime in my first 100 hours, but it would have been nice to see it explained in some document.

I earlier posted that all of your advisors/council members stats add (or subtract) resources, but Soren informed me today “Yes, you get global bonuses from your Leader, your first four Heirs

I have the same reaction to this info, that I have to the hints that most game have on the load screen. “Did you know if you hold down ALT while left clicking on hex it tells you all the stuff you can build on tile” My first reaction is “wow that’s cool”. My second reactions I’ve been playing this game for more than zillions hours and I’m just learning this now, grumble. Damn it could you just let me read all the stuff in the hints file, and pretty please stick it in a manual, wiki. Some place where google has access it.

People did, but they didn’t have those issues. I didn’t, anyway. Right-click to move was the first thing I tried so it never crossed my mind that such a prompt was needed. :) Any new game I think I expect right-click to move and if that doesn’t work I try left-click.

btw, all the Hints are now listed in the Encyclopedia…

As a guy that doesn’t care about some random persons kids or Netflix account, I’d rather see that money support a game I am enjoying to succeed and grow with future expansions. :)

I did. What I didn’t do as I got more into playing the game, and weighing in on various play balance issues, is go back and beat them up for not doing a better job documenting the game.

I totally understand that. As I get more into the game, I’ll likely forget my own new user experience as well. It’s hard to look at it with new eyes once you get used to it.

You probably know this, so I’m just being persnickety about words, but that was definitely NOT intended as a review of Old World. The game diaries are more like off-the-cuff observations.

-Tom
My apologies. I actually didn’t.

But um, could you review it? As a) it’ll be a very good read (hats off to you for the latest piece on Texas Chainsaw Massacre) and b) I’ll find out some stuff and c) they’ve done a great job so I’m interested to see what you make of the work in toto.

Box quote.

Ah, I see what you mean now. But you suggested people in the thread skipped it “based entirely on what [I] wrote”, bolding mine. Maybe I’m reading too much into your use of the word “entirely”, but there’s no evidence of that in the posts you quoted. I mean, if that’s the case, I’ll gladly stand corrected. But in my experience, the folks on this forum tend to be pretty well versed in making informed choices, so it’s a bit of an odd thing for you to lay at my feet. Especially since I can’t imagine my complaints are unique. I believe @telefrog quoted a similar observation from the PC Gamer review.

Thanks for the kinds words, and this is definitely one of those games that I would be stupid not to write up as a review, given how much time I have spent and will spend playing it. :) But, yeah, I fully intend to write a review after I’ve done more in-progress game diary blathering.

-Tom

It’s Friday, work summer hours plus a sleeping toddler plus two older kids playing with the neighbor kids meant I had an open window to play this.

And I can’t. I get a direct X error that prevents me from even loading the game.

I have DirectX 11 installed, I’ve verified it is the most recent version. Graphics card drivers up to date.

It just… won’t start.

And now I’m sad. Nothing in my searching has been useful so far.

Help me Qt3 Kenobi, you’re my only hope! (Because EGS doesn’t have community features like Steam)

Sorry bout the photo, but taking a picture with my phone was the easiest way to post it

I’m just wildly guessing, but is this a laptop or desktop? I’m just wondering if something with an integrated GPU might be mucking things up.

It’s a desktop. Graphics card is older, well everything is older, but truth is it can still play things like AC Syndicste or Total War Troy, so I figured this would be fine too.

But it is a potato, relatively speaking. Radeon HD7850 graphics card and mumble processor.

Also blame the graphics card manufacturers for making it effing impossible to compare cards across generations. I have no clue how mine stacks up against the minimum specs.

I don’t expect full HD 60fps rendering. My tolerance for sub par frame rate and graphics far exceeds many here :)

Mind posting your dxdiag info somewhere? If not familiar with it, just run dxdiag from the start menu and click Save All Information. Might shed some light.

Heh, my third time running it today in troubleshooting 😉\

Like I said, potato