Old World: The Rise (and Fall?) of Qt3: a playthrough starring you, the folks on the forum!

Another Carthage maven here

Carthage must be destroyed! And, with you at the helm of the ship of state, you’re just the leader to drive it into the rocks of military incursions, or to let the waves wash over her decks, which symbolize salting her fields, or to give the galley slaves a half-day just when ramming speed would have been nice, or to have a smoke break while sitting on the barrels of Greek Fire, or what have you.

(It was only a few years ago when I learned that Carthage’s fields were never salted over and it’s a tourist/UNESCO site now.)

Carthago has my vote, fear the second-coming of Hannibal Barca.

Really, that’s what you people want? Carthage, the country only known for losing all of its wars with Rome? Why not Persia, the nation that once used a Roman emperor as footstool?

Carthage, the only existential threat to Rome for 600 years. A city they feared so much, the Romans felt the need to destroy its culture so entirely that we barely have any remnants left.

Right, Carthage is only significant as an antagonist in another nation’s story. And even in that story they’re always losing.

This has become the best thread.

Here from Greece, watching all of you young nations squabbling over who is the best is so precious.

C’mon. With Cyrus the Great, Persia became an hegemonic empire for 200 years. And if you get Xerxes in the game (after Darius?), you know he’ll be a giant dude that will beat all the greeks into submission, even Gerard Butler! ;)

I see now that @SorenJohnson voted Rome. I wonder why.

Good taste in classic civilizations.

He’s trying to trick you all.

Nah, that can’t be it.

I imagine this will be the straw that breaks the camels back in terms of holding off buying this so far. It sounds fascinating.

tenor

So Carthage it is. Seems like you guys have taken Dido’s lament to heart: “Remember me, but, ah, forget my fate.”

Hopefully we can improve on history.

Too bad, you posted, so your name is on the list now! :)

Just to remind folks: WARNING: If you post in this thread or vote in any of these polls, your name will be added to a list. Whenever a new character appears in my playthrough, I will randomly choose a name from the list and apply it to the character.

And, yes, to answer the folks who asked, this is separate from game diary stuff, which I still plan to write.

-Tom

“Justaguy2 requests your daughter’s hand in marriage” has a certain ring to it.

Ibsen couldn’t have written that better.

And with the long awaited arrival of the Prince of Canada, we have a 69th – snicker – name on the list!

-Tom

One time Hurky put our names into a game and Tom ran away while I was literally on fire, so I’m not super optimistic about this one.

Does Old World have fires? Asking for a friend.