Older games that deserve a second chance

I’m always curious about the games that had a rough start, got poor reviews (and deserve them) but grew up to become more (and a pretty good bargain) either because of efforts of the creator or because of the community as a whole.

Does anyone have any great games that deserve a second chance, that we might have missed out on initially but just kept getting better?

Well to take the obvious one I think No Mans Sky is worth a second look these days. Then again I always thought it was good so I maybe the outlier here.

Need clarification on “older”, since No Man’s Sky is this gen. I could fill up this thread with games I’ve gone back to and found to still be a ton of fun.

X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter is my go-to for this question. When it initially came out, it got panned by me and others for basically not being TIE Fighter. Plus the Internet just wasn’t where it needed to be for it at the time.

Now though? With its two fully-co-op campaigns and multitude of other game modes over a solid connection with Discord/Teamspeak? Sublime.

I think we’ll keep the definition of older pretty lose, but maybe something at least 2 to 3 years old, so it has had some time to be kicked around.

As for games you’ve gotten back into, I think it is best to limit it to games that really deserved a bad wrap, at least initially, maybe due to some inherent flaw but got better after most of the reviews were out.

Elemental. Which eventually turned into Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes with a lot of work on Stardock’s part. The final product is quite fun. The original game was DOA.

Marvel Heroes.

Oh, right. :(

This game isn’t that old, but it’s a game that everyone needs to play:
Titanfall 2.

This is game unquestionably the greatest shooter of this generation, and most folks have no idea it exists.

I heartily second this.

Almost:
Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare is the best multiplayer shooter this gen, and DOOM is the best single player shooter this gen.

But TF2 certainly ranks up there for both modes.

Disagree, played both, Titanfall 2 is better.

Stick with Space Games, junkie.

This is a good recommendation for sure. I got 100s of hours in the series. I never saw the first one though.

Feel blessed. FE:LH is awesome fun. Elemental was a painful reminder of what could have been.

OK, thanks for narrowing down the criteria for me. In that case, I choose The Division. That’s a game that got off to a decent enough start, I think, reviewed pretty well. But I have to say it’s a game that’s done a lot to improve and added on so much stuff that it’s just filled with some great shooting action. You can get it pretty cheap these days and there’s still a fairly large group running around in it two years after release. I’m working through a global event this week myself. Highly recommended.

How fun is this solo?

Solo is mostly how I play, doing things like running around in the open world and trolling through the dark zone. But it’s also super easy to matchmake for stuff like higher difficulty missions and incursions. You can drop in and drop out, no backing out to main menu or getting dropped out of the game. It’s very accommodating for single players.

Fiiiiine, I wishlisted it. Thank you!

Hang on, let me give you the downsides: this is technically an RPG, so you can get in situations where you might be fighting a higher level character, or a better equipped character, and you’re just plinking away at them to little effect. And it’s a bit of a loot chase that way, kind of like Diablo 3, in that you’re going to be on the treadmill to get better and better gear.

On the upside, their method of payout and rewarding players is very generous. Feels like I’m always getting newer and better gear, so I don’t mind the loot chase. It doesn’t feel grindy to me. But that’s kind of a YMMV situation. I still feel like it’s worth a try though.

No worries, I enjoy a good loot chase if the momentum of leveling/looting feels speedy enough. Thank you.