Older games that deserve a second chance

My pick is Urban Chaos. Really neat game, but while the PC version got decent reviews I don’t remember it doing very well.

I was enjoying that on the PC, via GOG, until I saw no mid-mission saves.

Lol, I’m with you there. I don’t think i completely finished it either, but of what I recall the missions weren’t that long… then again, this was almost 20 years ago.

The world is going so fast now that Battletech seems to fit the definition of the first post…

Vampire Bloodlines certainly deserves another look if you haven’t played it. It was released the same day as Half Life 2 (ouch!), only sold around 70k copies, and was buggy as all get out. Dozens of patches later, and now the game is playable and quite a classic, IMO. I’m hoping Vampyr can rekindle some of its flavor.

The base NMS made my top 5 for that year. Loved it. :)

But it’s so much better now - and there’s a massive new update due soon (potentially with VR support) so maybe hold off on 2nd chances for now though.

Enclave.

I must have got this in a bundle or something. It’s from 2002, first person adventure.

I booted it up on a whim, so far story and gameplay are paper thin but the graphics mostly hold up.

If I remember the postmortem correctly, they’d been developing the gaming using the Source (HL2) engine, which wasn’t finalized yet, since HL2 wasn’t out yet when they were developing the game, and that had a lot to do with how buggy the game turned out to be at release.

Not sure how NMS is gonna be in VR. That colour scheme, it could feel like an acid trip, in a bad way :) Gonna try it though!

X-Rebirth for sure. I put it up as my main game in the april’s Game of the Month thread - something I thought I’d never do. The latest version is pretty damn solid even in vanilla form, but you can mod out so many little annoyances that the end result is very enjoyable to play. There are even a few larger mods, some already finished, some still in development. Current version is also quite stable and likely won’t be patched again anytime soon because X4 seems to be in full production so now is a good time to give Rebirth another chance. It glued me to the screen like nothing else in recent memory and I plan to put in many more hours over the next few weeks.

edit: Another good candidate for this thread is Wasteland 2. While not very old, I have to admit I was initially quite disappointed with it when it first came out. DC improved a lot of things and patches that followed it only ramped things up. It’s a great party focused rpg with tactical combat that I thoroughly enjoyed playing, and I still have to go back to finish it.

I originally thought you said Masquerade, but despite it’s bugs (there are some greater community patches) I think that games ways always well received.

Is Masquerade worth playing? I picked up from GoG a while back, never installed it.

It’s one of the best rpgs ever made. Get the unofficial patch by wesp5 (I recommend the plus version) and you’re golden.

edit: Oops, thought you were talking about Bloodlines. Disregard.

Yes. The unofficial patch makes a huge difference. Don’t play as the Malkavians unless you like piecing together the spoilers, or only plan to play the game once.

Just to be clear, you guys are talking about Redemption, right? Both Redemption and Bloodlines are Vampire-the Masquerade games, so calling it Masquerade doesn’t help.

Yeah that’s confusing.

This is the game I’ve played and is excellent, and referenced in my original post:

This is the game I was asking @legowarrior if it was worth playing:

Falcon 4.

Ooh. Titanfall 2 for PS4 is $11 on Amazon right now. Ordered!

I’ll second that. I don’t think it was very popular and I didn’t finish it but I recall it played pretty smoothly and it amused me for a bit. You can probably get it cheap now.

Like so many questions, the correct answer is Darklands. They patched all those nasty bugs 25 years ago, so there’s no reason not to play now.