OLED TV: is it time?

But I heard the performance of its web browser is shit. So it can’t possibly be good.

You go, girl!

So the new firmware for the OLEDs adds HDR-HLG format (although not sure if there is any source material for it yet) in addition to HDR-10 and Dolbyvision. Cool to have some additional future proofing, but apparently it mucks with the HDR-Game mode setting by making it too dark, and also has issues with the PS4 Pro HDR handshake over HDMI (which was already a little flaky): https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2017/07/19/latest-lg-oled-firmware-update-reportedly-a-disaster-for-gamers/#5804f400ccc1

It’s weird that LG did NOT push through the HDR-Game Mode update through the TV’s autoupdating feature (had to update through USB), but did push through this latest firmware through the autoupdate. Haven’t tried it for gaming yet to see if I notice the reported issues – Wumpus, any comment?

There’s no HLG source yet other than some test broadcasts, but it’s going to be the only way to get HDR on a broadcast basis for quite some time, because of its backwards compatibility. The BBC and NHK are backing it.

It also borks the internal YouTube app’s HDR content, making everything washed out. I’ve been avoiding the firmware like the plague. If you accidentally hit yes to the update nag when turning on the TV (like I did), turn the set off immediately. It stops the update and changes the nag to “Do you want to continue the update?”

Awesome. Just got confirmation that my order for a B7 under a somewhat iffy but ridonkulous-if-honoured deal went through. Got a 2017 model OLED TV (and another, crappy TV) for about what the 2016s were going for six months ago.

Amazing deal! I’m sure you will really enjoy it.

Hahaha. The glories of DPD. According to the tracking information I just got from Currys, the shitty TV part of the deal was delivered and signed for… in November 2016.

Wow. Loving this set so far. The fireworks demo clip looks truly unbelievable. And the Netflix/Amazon content looks great too. Now I just need Microsoft to release the XboneX so I can get my 4K HDR gaming/Blu Rays on. Planning to watch Gravity tonight. It’s only a 1080p SDR source, but I want to luxuriate in the inky dark of space anyway.

I’m pretty impressed with the operating system too. It’s not super responsive when you dig into the menus below the surface, but it’s fairly customisable and good about picking up where you left off. My one complaint so far is there doesn’t seem to be a proper picture-in-picture function. There’s a side-by-side thing, but as far as I can tell that needs different inputs. And you can have a TV PIP while using the browser, but not other apps.

Just to double check, but there aren’t any reasonably sized (under 50") OLED 4k sets under a grand in the world yet, are there? Friend is buying her first TV in a terrifying amount of time tomorrow and is trying to stay under those figures. I’d love to help her future proof and get the best thing possible for her money, but it’s looking like that will probably be an IPS LCD-LED with local dimming and as long a list of HDR subtype compatibilities as I can find…

There’s no under 55" OLED sets. Period.

That seems weird to me! Is there a technical limitation or manufacturing reason for why oled tvs aren’t sold if under that size? Or just because they can only charge enough to be worth it if it’s that size or larger?

AFAICT, the latter. Sub-50" TVs are sold at much less of a premium, so no one puts their latest, cutting-edge (or really even trailing-edge) tech into them. Which has been frustrating to me- I bought a 37" 1080p TV over 10 years ago. Pretty good deal for the time. Now I’m looking to upgrade, but the equivalent (~40-43") in 4K/HDR are all mediocre in regards to future-proofing.

Big drop on E7 and C7.

Disclosure: I write and mod for HTF. And have bought stuff at Value

Last I checked the B7’s were $1,999 (55) and $2,999 (65) at costco… still are.

Not seeing the C7 prices in that link. Maybe I’m missing it?

Are those B7Ps or B7As? The former is in line with the C7, while the B7As should be going for less.

You can also get the C7 for less from reputable online retailers.

Specific question I didn’t previously consider: What major improvements are left to make for the current set of high-end OLEDs like the LGs so many recommend in this thread?

I’m still waiting for further price drops, but I’m curious what’s still waiting in the wings that new models in 2018/2019 might introduce for OLEDs which already seem to be so far ahead of the pack.

Brightness.

Re: C7 give Value a call. Not sure he can advertise hi C price the way they can the E

Dunno, here’s the 55" model number: OLED55B7

And the 65": OLED65B7

You may need to be a member and have to sign in to see the prices.

The big things that leap to my mind:

• UNIFORMITY/NEAR-BLACK PERFORMANCE

A lot of people still don’t know what this is, while everyone over on the AVS Forums treats it like the Antichrist. Essentially, there are still issues with the manufacturing of the panels, which often exhibit “jail bars” of various sizes and placements (though there does seem to be some sort of regularity of one that is just right of center).

These bars generally show up on low levels just above the perfect 0% darkness of absolute black. They can often be visible in very dark scenes, which can be more common in games. Other torture tests are the movie Arrival and, apparently, Game of Thrones.

Some also talk about “blockiness” with low black levels, essentially visual artifacts that show up in such circumstances. This can also happen with color banding. For example, the sky box in XCOM 2 looks pretty splotchy, but it wasn’t great to begin with.

Many think that LG took a step backward with uniformity and low-black performance with the 2017s, and since they make all the OLED panels, it’s pretty widespread. But you also see versions of these issues with LCDs, so pick your poison.

I see both of these problems with my C7, and I’m sure some would be horrified by its uniformity. But I see it so rarely that I don’t really care, not when the picture looks so amazing the other 97% of the time.

• MOTION

Another one that people who are sensitive complain about that I rarely see. This is inherent to the technology and the differences between different OLEDs is all down to the processing strategy.

Some say there is improvement with this year’s OLEDs (some especially swear by the Sony A1E in this regard). If you are picky about smooth motion without the Soap Opera Effect, then you probably want to test drive your favorite action movie on a set at Best Buy.

• BRIGHTNESS/TONE MAPPING

Kadath is right that this is still a bone of contention, especially regarding HDR. LCDs can still get much brighter than OLEDs. I suggest you watch this to understand the differences in how it is handled among OLED sets:

• HDMI 2.1

The current HDMI implementation (2.0a? 2.0b?) taps out at about 18Gps, which is a lot of bandwidth but is not enough for The Future™.

It does have some implications for being able to handle increased frame rates at 4K/UHD resolution down the line. And it does affect having a PC hooked up to your set (the current standard can’t handle HDR + 4:4:4 color + 4K/UHD + 60 Hz). But the primary impact for today is that is can’t carry Dolby Atmos over ARC. Don’t know what that is? Then I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

A good write-up is here.