OLED TV: is it time?

Wow. That seems almost impossible, although a lot more people (including me) never had an LCD TV. And I just threw out my last CRT in 2016, lol.

I just got my first LCD TV when I went to 4K. Had DLP and Plasma prior.

The price was right (on sale <$1K for 65-inch in late 2016) so no regrets, but having had the blacks of plasma prior, I’ll be happy to shift to OLED, probably 2019.

No, dude, I just have dog ears. Caused some significant issues for me when I was in school.

went from plasma to oled so had similar feeling about the black color.

A bit too late to help you, perhaps: http://www.electronicdesign.com/power/troubleshoot-flyback-supply-generates-audible-noise

I want OLED so bad… but so expensive. :(

Thanks, but I don’t think you understand. While I don’t hear dog whistles, my hearing range goes well past most people.

Were you ever bitten by a radioactive bat? Just curious. :)

It’s possible. Maybe while on a snipe hunt as a kid.

The 2018 LG OLEDs are actually shaping up to be pretty decent, even without HDMI 2.1. Alexa/Google Assistant integration, automatic calibration, better processing, local dimming (which I presume in an OLED context means better ABL). Sounds like there’s more differentiation between the performance of each of the models, however.

Still not enough to make me regretting jumping on the 2017 model, but all worthy improvements. It will be very interesting to see how the LGs compare to other sets this year now that there are more people making OLED panels.

I haven’t been following - who else other than Sony in 2018?

Wut?

Buh?

Ok, I LOL’d. But how do you think I found my link in the first place? It would be more effective a gag if either of the first two links explained what it was, rather than just using the abbreviation.

Local dimming, a strategy for improving the darkness of dark areas of an image, makes no sense to me in the context of OLED, where every pixel is its own light and black is already as dark as the screen surface and substrate will allow.

Likewise, and I haven’t seen any detailed description of what it involves in the 2018 LGs, so my assumption is that it’s some kind of localised ABL, so they don’t have to darken the whole screen.

Where did you see it referenced? You sure it wasn’t with respect to a Samsung QLED or something?

Still no variable refresh rate? I’m not buying a new TV without freesync. And no, the Nvidia TVs don’t count because they’re g-sync, which MS and Sony won’t support.

Definitely not the Samsung, but I’m beginning to think I might have got that from LG’s LCDs, not the OLEDs. Or whatever I was reading did.

Almost certainly. Local dimming is a nonsense phrase when applied to OLED because every individual pixel–hell, every subpixel–is its own light source.