OLED TV: is it time?

Rtings burn-in test results:

TLDR: It’s fine in most conditions, but for god’s sake don’t watch CNN the whole time, and maybe play something other than FIFA once in a while. Constant use of subtitles might be an issue, though.

So, pace this thread title, is it time? I want to put in a home theater, and figure it’s time to upgrade the old Panasonic plasma that has served us so well for years. I read this review and wanted to solicit comments from anyone that might have experience with these things.

The only problem seems to be that the largest screen size is 77”.

This post belongs in the first world problems thread ;)

Fair point.

I just read @MichaelD’s link and it seems like there is now a C9. NINE! That’s more than eight.

Of course, my 65" already kind of has me wanting another, larger 4k TV, so I’m right with you!

Try the 88Z9! 88 is more than 77, Z is more than C(?), and 9 is more than 8! Also, 29,000 is more than 6,000!

Holy cow that is quantitatively unassailable!

We bought an E9 recently for the new (to us) house. Shiny. VideoOnly has amazing prices (and an interesting way of offering them without raising the ire of the MAP police — trade-in credit).

C9 was out of stock or I’d have gone with that. But they got the E price down to a reasonable leap given the upgrades.

Ok this is a totally serious question: it looks like the entry level model is the B series. And C is better, which checks out. But you said you would have gotten C instead of E except that they were out of stock? E is better than C! Right? I feel like everything I ever learned about the alphabet is wrong!

EDIT: I am dumm. You said they got the price DOWN on the E. So E is more than C! You were just saying you would have been ok with the cheaper model. So that checks out. Because I was going to start questioning Hooked On Phonics.

E has fancier styling than C. Pretty sure that’s the biggest difference. I am planning to buy a C9 soon. Thought about getting a B8/C8 but the 9s have hdmi 2.1 and I’ve seen it suggested that will be useful for the new consoles

And here I am, just wanting this tech in something sub-50". Nothing on the horizon.

Why so small?

I have a small room?

Optimal viewing distance on a 55” 4K is 4.5-7 feet, much less than for a 1080p. Well, according to various web sources I have seen. I don’t have one yet.

Same here. My apartment living room can accommodate a 42", mayyyybe a 47". These days, I check for smaller OLEDs about twice a year. I always expect to be disappointed. And I am.

E is more about the built-in sound bar this year. It’s very good. It also has a full glass screen, which is HEAVY compared to the other models but also far sturdier. This will be our 3rd oled after the B6 and C8 (which was wall mounted when we sold our condo and we made it part of the deal).

So far I’m happy with the E9, but at least partly because we didn’t pay terribly much more than we would have for a C9.

My current TV is a 4k Sony 47". My couch is 6’ ft away. If it were any larger, I’d be swiveling my head watching.

Good to know there’s at least one other person in my position!

Correct :-)

I am thinking about getting a new OLED, and would like to get something 60" plus. I have the problem, however, that I am in one of those homes with the idiot built-in for a TV above the fireplace that is the only real place in the room that it can go. And of course the built-in is 2 feet deep because it was built for a CRT (meaning that it will be pretty much impossible to install a mount with an arm long enough that will be stable enough for a large TV), and of course it isn’t even wide enough for a 60" TV (let alone something bigger), because hey, no one would ever build a TV that wide.

For some reason, I hate architectural built-ins with a passion.