OLED TV: is it time?

Huh, just found out you have to explicitly opt in to Ultra Hi Def on Netflix at +$2 per month. It also increases the number of simultaneous screens you can stream to.

TV shopping has to be one of the most baffling and confusing electronics safaris. All the model numbers are essentially identical, with tiny changes between models, the feature lists are crammed with jargon and marketing speak, and when you actually look at them, unless you’re really a videophile, they all look good, pretty much.

One reason why I’ve been hemming and hawing now for two years over replacing our now long in the tooth Sony. But we probably will have to do something, as our current set is too small for the living room setup as it is and lacks some key features we want. One reason I’m looking at Samsung is that their TVs have built-in Bluetooth, and my wife really wants to use wireless headphones so she can watch stuff after I’ve gone to bed (our house is pretty small and closing the door to the bedroom both shuts off ventilation and annoys the hounds, who like to go back and forth).And we’re hoping that current TVs do a better job with streaming and accessing other content, because right now we’re using a $60 BluRay player primarily for Netflix because the TV has so little memory it can’t stream worth a darn.

Samsung seems to have some very nice 55-65" sets (2016 models) with a lot of features that fit the bill. Has anyone got any real thoughts on curved vs. non-curved?

Curved is terrible because it is a negative unless you are sitting in the sweet spot, which is so small as to be unusable by more than one perfectly placed person. That’s slight hyperbole I guess, but not by much.

If however you use one as a computer monitor they are great. I love my curved 4K but I would never put one in the family room.

Exactly the feedback I’d wanted, thanks. My concern is that while my wife’s favorite chair is dead-on to the TV, my preferred position is off to the side a bit, and I worry that a curved screen would be optimal for only one of us. Seems saving a hundred or two going flat is better anyhow.

I would be skeptical of using Bluetooth to watch video. There can be audio/video sync issues there because of BT’s latency. If Samsung has it figured out, then great. Also, the Roku 4 has a headphone jack on the remote, so that’s another potential solution.

Well, as long as it’s listenable it’ll be fine; we’re talking catching up on TV shows via Netflix, rather than watching feature films extensively. We don’t have a Roku, as we use the DVR on the Comcast HD box and stream via the BluRay player (or the TV). We don’t want a wired headset, period, and we don’t want to futz with a basestation either, nor do we want to pay much extra for a setup that is both elaborate and probably audio overkill. But I hear you; Bluetooth is often flaky even in the car with the phone, so I imagine at home with TV the potential for issues is high.

Speaking of TVs, themselves, though, we looked at some today at Best Buy and my wife really loved the Samsung UN60KS8000 at 65". We were not fond of the curved screens, really. Anyone have much experience with this line of Samsungs?

A sign of how fast the TV market is moving: I literally can’t sell my 46" Panasonic plasma, even when reduced to $60. Just zero takers on Craigslist.

I’m gonna trot it out to the curb and let anyone have it for free. Wow.

To be fair, if I saw a $60 46" plasma on Craigslist, I’d assume it had hella burn-in and/or a small family of raccoons nesting inside of it.

To be fairer, I’d probably buy it anyway, because I’ve come to slowly loathe my 42" RCA LCD.

I started at $200 and worked my way down to $120, then to $60. Zero interest. So it goes on the curb for free.

It is fascinating how big and cheap TVs are now, even in the last 4-5 years.

I’ve mentioned this before, but if anyone is looking for an awesome 4K TV but doesn’t want to spend the money on a OLED, The Vizio P55/P65/P75 is an amazing LCD to get. I’m super happy with mine, and the active dimming zones make the blacks incredible.

Honestly I would just hang on and wait for OLED at this point – if you can. The difference is quite dramatic.

I’ve waited years already–the TV I have is ten years old. And the current LEDs are light-years beyond mine in performance; I’ve seen OLED at the store and I can’t tell the difference really between it and current LED TVs. Plus, I grew up with B&W TVs, and all this new stuff is like science fiction anyhow, so I’m hardly chasing cutting edge tech.And really, we watch Food Network, Bravo, and Wheel of Fortune…

That being said, I’m not in a burning hurry, either. I’ve come close to buying a new TV several times over the past few years, but I really can’t work up all that much enthusiasm. But I think my wife really wants a bigger set, and she watches more than I do.

I tried to sell my Panasonic Plasma 3 years ago. Even then there was already zero resale value in it.

I ended up sticking it in another room to use from time to time instead of trying to get rid of it.

A friend of mine has a 65" Mitsubishi rear projection TV in his garage , he has been trying to sell for the last 5 years, he can’t even give it away for free now, it weighs so much no one wants to move it, I think its like 250 pounds. So its worked its way into his garage.

I remember him telling me the electronics recycle people wanted like 150$ to come pick it up, heh.

Well yeah the Plasma is nowhere near that big or hard to move ;) I see abandoned CRT tube TV sets on the side of the road all the time.

Encouraging to hear others with Plasmas have experienced the same first world problem suffering that I have. The good news is, TVs have improved dramatically in the last 5 years due to crashing prices on way better large LED panels.

Those things have awesome huge precision Fresnel lenses in them which are great for projects or solar experiments, if he is into that kind of thing. You might find someone with a truck who will haul it to the dump just to get that piece from it.

I will pass that info along, I doubt he knows it.

I have a 150lb Sony flat screen CRT 4:3 HD TV in my basement that no one wants and which is too heavy to move, as well.

Easy

Yeah, I was pretty surprised to discover that a 2006 plasma that cost $3k at the time had a resale value that was remarkably less than the resale value of a 2006 Dell 24" monitor (2405fpw) which goes for $200 on ebay.

You can do better in general selling on ebay than craigslist, etc., but I’d never bother trying to sell/transport something that big - you could put in an add for “pick up only” - you’d almost certainly get what you were asking FWIW.