OLED TV: is it time?

Add me to the members list of the last, great CRT generation. I have a Sony 34XBR960 that’s been my main set for over a decade. A 1080i set that’s great with 720p and does very well with 480p and 480i signals. It’s been fabulous for legacy console gaming. So good, in fact, that I wish I could keep it around for my still formidable backlog of PS2, Xbox OG, and Gamecube titles. But it’s so bulky and heavy (196 lbs) that I don’t think I’ll be able to convince my wife to make room for it somewhere outside of my den.

I’ve been looking forward to an upgrade for a while now, but it’s still going to be a sad day when I (pay someone to) haul it to the junk yard.

If nobody wants my 65" Panasonic TC-P65S64 TV when I make the move on a 4K TV next year, they’re missing out. The picture is so much better than any of the 1080P LCDs I see. Didn’t realize there was zero resale interest – I’d have thought the AVSForum crowd would be snapping up plasma sets that are in good working condition after they were discontinued.

I, too, wound up with a gigantic, 100lb+ rear-projection behemoth (720i/480p, if I recall, lol). I inherited it from dad when I first moved out of my parents’ place and used it for a couple of years as my main TV. When we moved to NC, there was no way it was making the trip. With as huge and top-heavy as it was (it was one of those with the sort of “build-in” stand underneath the screen, with speakers somewhere in the middle of all that, but the stand was fairly flimsy plastic, given the bulk above), it’d have suicided itself within the moving truck for sure.

Somehow, mom bullied the apartment manager into agreeing to have the maintenance guys cart it up the hill to the main offices to put in there. Never did figure out how she cajoled 'em to do it, but I’m super glad. I do NOT miss that thing.

I think there is still some resale interest - it’s just that local, short-term sales through Craigslist are almost just serendipity and don’t really reflect the full potential market, especially if you’re more patient.

After a bunch of reading reviews and looking around, I went with getting a Samsung KS8000 65" on sale this weekend to replace our Sony XBR9 40" from about seven years ago. Had to get a new soundbar too because our soundbar, which actually did work (once I, um, reconnected the left channel cable which had come undone, and for a year had convinced me the whole thing was broken /shameface) because, well, apparently new TVs have zero analog RCA outputs and my Boston Acoustic soundbar only has analog RCA inputs. So I went with the Samsung 2.1 soundbar which seems like a good fit.

Should have it installed on the wall on Friday.

Looking at all the TVs, everything looks so much better than what we have now that it didn’t strike me as terribly useful to spend more, and we needed a bigger set now, so I’m thinking this should work ok.

Congrats on the TV - sure you will really enjoy it!

Should be here Friday. I don’t watch much TV, and my standards are modest. From what I can tell in the store, this thing is science fiction stuff for a guy raised on small black and white TVs and who doesn’t follow the tech much.

Well, the KS8000 is on the wall and looks very nice. I’m no hard-core viewer, for sure, but FWIW it seems to be pretty darn amazing. Streams like a champ, too.unlike our old Sony.

Didn’t know OLEDs could have burn in. That means no extended gaming sessions I suppose.

I still think they are way overpriced at the moment for what you are getting. I saw the price on some of them and it was close to the price on the first Plasma TVs I looked at years ago (but I opted for a Projection system back then instead…).

Another really annoying thing with a lot of these tvs is that they come with two useless features:

• SmartTV that is anything but. Just another IoT that will get hacked or abandoned (or other way round)
  • Inbuilt Speakers

Who buys a 60" TV and uses the inbuilt speaker system?

Philips is getting into the OLED game, hopefully that’ll drive prices down quicker.

I agree about the TV speakers. Someone plunking down four grand for an OLED most likely has an AV receiver and a decent speaker setup. I’d prefer to have a “dumb” TV: just the panel with a few HDMI inputs and a great video processor, nothing else.

Agree on the above, but that’s the case regardless of TV type.

OLED burn-in is a potential risk, but far less than it was with old Plasmas, and easily avoidable if you have any common sense and, if you’re really concerned, give it a reasonable burn-in period before displaying static images for hours at a time.

My OLED is hooked up to my Skull Canyon NUC running Windows 10, and I set the screensaver interval to “1 minute”, with auto-sleep after 10 minutes. I also set a pure black desktop background. I guess I could do a mildly animated desktop background if such things are even possible…?

I haven’t seen any evidence whatsoever of burn in so far.

The difference in screen quality between my old plasma and the OLED is profound and striking. I would not recommend buying any other kind of set, the difference is so large… and I didn’t expect to be saying that.

Well, I finally pulled the trigger and bought the 2016 65" E6. Sale of $2k off at bestbuy, so it’s probably the lowest price that it’ll be for 6 months or so, and this is finally the year where the mandatory features of the future are all included, so it’s the best time to upgrade.

I’m complete renovating my condo, so I’ve been living on couches for 5 weeks, and this seems like the perfect way to put the cherry on top of those renos when I finally get back into my house in a couple of weeks (so not getting the TV delivered for a while).

Actually went in with a buddy and we bought 2 of them. Too bad Bestbuy doesn’t commission sales guys, or it would have been a crazy good day for someone. We did manage to get a bunch of freebies thrown in by making the collective purchase, but I’m terribly lazy when it comes to haggling and just find it awkward and distasteful or I probably could have done better.

Plus, the thing I often actually want to know, (what processors they have doing the UI and video) are not public information. You have to find it out via random AV-phile forums. How they find it out? No idea.

It can be much worse than that. Sometimes when mfrs. have a model number which reviews and is selling well, they will freeze that model number that people are asking for, but keep changing internals and refreshing within that “trim line”. Which makes it hard for consumers to know what they are getting. If you want the 52KQ102 because that is what the review said was a great deal, you may find yourself buying a 52KQ102 EP or a 52KQ102 SL but have no idea what is actually inside (as long as the basic feature list is met) and neither is the same hardware as the reviewed model.

So true. And then you have weird proprietary branding occasionally just for Best Buy, etc., and different model numbers in different regions (presumably due to Pal etc. which makes sense).

The LG OLED65B6P is on sale at NewEgg (via Adorama) for $2,999 with a $600 NewEgg gift card. So if you need anything from NewEgg too…

The OLED65E6P is $3,999 with a $600 card as well.

Other than (yawn) 3D, is there a significant difference between the B6P and E6P?

OLED continues to be fucking amazing

The soundbar and the styling are the obvious ones. Some say the E3 picture is slightly better given its LG in-house chipset (vs. the third party one in the B6), but I don’t believe anything has really been proven. There were also some judder issues in the B6 that have apparently been fixed in a recent firmware update. And the quality of 3D on these sets have apparently made believers out of many devout skeptics.

The “big” difference is input lag. The B6 is 10ms higher than the others in the series (~44ms vs ~34ms). Obviously, that’s going to be a subjective difference for most people. Potentially more important is the lack of a “game” mode for HDR, which most seem to agree pushes input lag into unacceptable levels. This actually affects all 2016 LG OLED models, with the B6 displaying a weird bug where input lag in HDR mode actually starts off lower than the more expensive sets then slowly raises to a much higher rate before dropping back to the lower rate and repeating the cycle. There’s been no official response on the issue from LG, but their CSRs’ answers have been confusing, ranging from “there will be a firmware update by the beginning of December” to “HDR game mode is a feature that will only be on 2017 models”.

If you don’t absolutely need a TV right now and these levels of input lag sound bad, then waiting until the 2017 models are revealed at CES in early January would probably be the right move. The 2016s will only continue to go down as time goes on, though you might have to wait until Q2 when the 2017s are released to see these kind of prices again. Or this could be the new normal and prices will be even lower then.

Thank you, @JustinFletcher, for the great background.

Given that a large impetus for upgrading the set (because I have a perfectly wonderful 65" 1080P Panasonic Plasma right now) is to do HDR 4K gaming, I’ll resist the temptation and wait till next year, since any 4K stuff now would just be either video streaming or upscaled material; I don’t really need the new set until I get Scorpio.

You just saved me from a potentially regretted upgrade. :)