OLED TV: is it time?

What is the ordinary schedule for new models coming out? I’m wondering when new OLED models will start hitting which incorporate whatever improvements they’ve made over the one which started this thread.

CES is usually when they get unveiled, right?

Right, but I don’t follow it closely enough to know generally how long it takes for those things revealed at CES to actually be released for reasonable prices

Can’t wait to see LG’s OLED wallpaper TV… 1mm thick!

LG expects to have it on store shelves, or walls, in 2017

Uh huh.

Not sure, but usually the next big discount frame (after Black Friday sales) is the Super Bowl, just a couple of weeks (End of January) after CES.

CES is early January, with the new sets generally starting to appear in stores around March or April. Sometimes certain models show up before the others, though. For example, I think the LG 2016 line was spread out from April to June.

Good news: LG has added an HDR Game mode to the C6/E6/G6.

HDTVtest:

But with the latest firmware update (exact version will vary from region to region), a new [HDR Game] preset will become available as the fourth option. Indeed, after engaging [HDR Game] mode on an LG C6, lag time only measured 34ms according to a Leo Bodnar tester. In other words, LG engineers have successfully cut down input lag by one frame, bringing HDR latency in line with SDR’s.

An update for the B6 is expected soon-ish (December 6th? A few weeks? Other?).

The 55" B6 seems to be continuing to plummet in price. It was going for £1999 around Black Friday (already a £1k cut from its launch price). I just saw it for £1599 in a department store. I imagine it’ll be even cheaper on Boxing Day. It’s pretty tempting at that price, but I can wait till CES to see what the next gen has in store. They have to be clearing stock if they’re cutting price this frequently.

Reminder: CES is in 3 weeks. If you’ve waited this long wait till then to see what 2017 brings. Even if you buy a 2016 set in 2017 at least you’ll be fully informed.

CES confirmed that the 2016 LG OLEDs were the perfect time to jump onto the tech, as expected. They’ll continue to be the primary retail models in 2017.

LG’s new 2017 line up is notable for being even thinner and lighter (able to mount on a wall with magnets and a few screws - 18 lbs for a 65", with a 77" available for the first time), and they’re even bendable, a cool gimmick (similar to the iphone OLEDs). But no meaningful image quality improvements, and they’ll be over $10K US according to CNET, substantially more expensive than the 2016s debuted, as those will remain the main retail models.

Sony also announced its first commercial OLEDs, which will use the LG screens, but be aggressively priced (especially for Sony) and have good sound systems and potentially better software processing.

Anything OLED in the ~43" range announced?

Panasonic also announced their second OLED set, a 65" set coming in mid-2017.

Only the W is that expensive, is my understanding. There are direct replacement for the 6 line from last year, which will presumably be a bit cheaper than the launch price of those units. Whether they’re worth the money over the 6 line’s greatly discounted price is another question.

The 2017 LG OLED lineup will be the B7, C7, E7 and G7. No prices announced. Release date is April. The thin wallpaper model is the W7.

LG is supporting HDR HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) and something called Advanced HDR. Let’s add more HDR “standards” to confuse consumers even more, great idea.

Input lag for gaming is reduced to 21ms, so that’s good. None of these sets will have 3D or a curved display.

Too bad Panasonic exited the US TV market.

Best Buy has put up a preorder link for the flagship “wallpaper” W7 at $8K. Whether that turns out to be true is anyone’s guess, but I suspect that means similar, possibly lower prices, for the rest of the line as the 2016 models at launch. There are also preliminary, untested reports that input lag in both SDR and HDR modes has dropped to 21ms, which is a third less than the 2016 models after the firmware added HDR Game Mode. It also adds support for two new flavors of HDR: HLG (developed by the BBC) and Advanced HDR (by Technicolor), neither of which has any content for it yet.

Initial claims are that the set is 25% brighter (1000 nits?), has almost all of the DCI-P3 color space represented, and “supports” Dolby Atmos. And curved screens and 3D have been dropped for all models.

Now whether any of this is worth the dough over a close out deal on a 2016 model is a personal choice. But while I wouldn’t necessarily agree that there are no “meaningful image quality improvements”, the 2017s are definitely an incremental upgrade. Plus, there’s no telling until the reviews come out on whether there have been significant improvements in shadow detail, uniformity, and motion that are still not ideal in the 2016 models (but a huge improvement over the 2015s apparently).

[EDIT: Or what Ginger and Gordon said. :)]

As for Sony, the sound is actually coming from screen vibrations. There are no standalone speakers on the set. I’ve read mediocre to moderately positive stuff about it so far. I’m looking forward to hearing about the motion processing (and the price) compared to LG. Surprisingly, they announced Dolby Vision support, but no HLG or Advanced HDR. And the sandwich board stand looks like a disaster to me, especially since I don’t wall mount.

I don’t understand why more TVs don’t ditch in-built sound altogether, especially after the industry was so successful in persuading people to buy sound bars. I haven’t used a TV’s in-built speakers since the days of CRTs. Don’t bother with ridiculous vibrating screen speakers. Just make them fancy, large smart monitors. You could probably shave off another £50 or more from the purchase price.

Built-in speakers are fine for bedroom TVs and such. They still have their place.

I’m not saying manufacturers shouldn’t make TVs with them. Just that they should offer TVs without them.

Hard to get too excited about anything at this point, without knowing prices. I’m hoping a sub-$2k 65" OLED is in the cards this year, which is all I care about. Think I paid around $1600 for my 50" Plasma in 2008 and it was worth every penny considering it still looks great today.

Aw, crap. Loved my Panny plasma. Such a better designed set than Samsung’s stuff.