OLED TV: is it time?

My first LED TV came without speakers. I didn’t care, because it was in my living room with a HT receiver and large speakers. Many years later I moved it to my bedroom and it was a pain in the ass, I had to buy a soundbar.

So-- I disagree. Speakers are cheap. TVs should come with them.

Somehow the local Best Buy already has one of the new wallpaper OLEDs in and on display. Gorgeous.

Rtings is reporting that with the recently released firmware, input lag on the LG B6 in both SDR and HDR modes is ~28ms, even lower than the lag with the firmware released for the C6/E6 (and G6?), which is 34ms and 37ms for SDR and HDR, respectively.

Not surprised, but disappointed, that even LG is completely abandoning 3D – also makes the 2016 E6s the better choice, at least for me, as someone going from 2006 commercial panasonic plasma, I had a lot of pent up 3D desire and have really enjoyed that feature on my E6 for blurays like Gravity, Tron Legacy, and some of the great IMAX 3D documentaries. (even though I really dislike post-processed 3D and even most Real 3D in theatres – basically anything not filmed in Fusion Camera System or IMAX3d)

I agree with Ginger Yellow that TVs should have the option of coming without speakers - even though they’re cheap, they’re an actual detraction, as they add to the footprint and generally have zero utility on high end TVs. I just cringed when Sony was bragging about the new sound “from the screen” aspect of their new OLEDs - there will never be a quarterback controversy: sound will always be significantly better from even a $500 receiver.

Pretty sure you could do a 3D bluray player (or digitial device) with active 3d glasses on any device capable of 60 fps. Or hell, even just 48.

Edit: You know what, I take that back. There wouldn’t be a way to easily synchronize the glasses with the TV output so it wouldn’t really work easily enough for a consumer product. Never mind.

So what’s the deal with the “quantum dot” TVs announced at CES this year? Will they be more competitive with OLEDs?

I know that the OLEDs discussed in this thread from 2016 are holding up well and don’t seem to be supplanted (yet) but 2017 models announced at CES, but they’re still among the first-generation OLED TVs so I’m hesitant to jump on board so quickly.

On the other hand, if this quantum dot LED stuff holds up, maybe it would be a better decision?

QLEDs have been out 2 years already. My Sony X800D I bought last fall is quantum dot, so many beautiful colors.

QLEDs don’t have OLED’s brightness though. But for what I paid (easily 4x less than OLED) its good enough imho.

Whats weird is at CES 2015 Quantum Dot was announced. And now again at CES2017.

https://www.wired.com/2015/01/primer-quantum-dot/

Isn’t it the other way round? They’re brighter than (LG’s) OLEDs, but because they’re still backlit, they don’t do blacks as well.

Yeah, the Samsung KS8000 I bought just before Christmas has Quantum Dot. But it’s just a really good LED set,* not comparable to OLED.

• Really good quality picture, that is. Samsung’s firmware is horrific and I’ll probably never buy a TV from them again.

[quote=“Desslock, post:124, topic:120746”]
Not surprised, but disappointed, that even LG is completely abandoning 3D…[/quote]

Same here. As owner of the second to last Panny plasma ever sold in my city I really liked 3d in the games where I’ve tried it, except the 30 fps limit spoiled it for most game types.

60 fps 3d was a hope for my next set. But maybe I’ll go for a VR display instead of a new set.

Prices on the 2016 OLEDs with 3d have jumped back up here - in part year end sales ending, but they jumped up higher than they were before the sales. 8k for the 65" E6 at best buy here now. I wouldn’t be surprised if they remained higher, as essentially the last and best option, at least for now, if you care about the 3D feature.

I think many would assume this is the usual post-Christmas hike so that when the price drops around the Super Bowl, it seems like a better deal. However, a few dealers are reporting that the 6 series sold pretty well over the last quarter of 2016, so inventory may be lower than normal. This, in turn, may constrain the price drops that last year’s models normally receive over the coming months (e.g. around the Super Bowl, April/May release of new models, etc.).

The fact that they are the last stand for 3D could also play a role in higher prices, though if enough people really cared about 3D, the industry probably wouldn’t have killed it in the first place.

So, the 55" B6 is now widely available for GBP 1,749, which apart from the GBP 1,599 that a department store briefly had it for before Christmas is as cheap as I’ve seen it. Rumours are the LG 2017 sets, which are only a modest improvement panel-wise on the 2016 sets, are going to launch at or even above 2016 series launch prices. Given the Brexit driven sterling collapse, which will probably be even worse after Article 50 is triggered, I’m not too hopeful of the B7 being cheaper this time next year than the B6 currently is. In addition, LG says it’s going to patch in HLG HDR support, which the BBC plans to use for its programming, to the 2016 sets some time this year.

I’m thinking I should pull the trigger on the B6 now, but it’s a huge expense and I don’t “need” a new TV. Is there an obvious flaw in my logic (other than hope against hope that the B7 defies currency considerations)?

I think the obvious flaw could be that it’s a huge expense and you don’t need a new TV.

True, of course. But I am going to need one (in the sense of my existing TV being relatively small, quite outdated software-wise, and unable to make the most of many of my content sources) in one or at most two years. While ordinarily I’d just wait it out, it doesn’t seem like the current prices reflect the fall in sterling yet, and I’d be amazed if the new TVs didn’t.

It’s a great TV, which is relatively future proof (as much as these things can be, it’s a real “sweet spot” year), so I think you should go for it as long as the expense is something you can bear without sacrificing more important things.

Yeah, it’s the future proofing I’m really concerned about. I really don’t want to buy another TV for 8 or more years after the next one. I only got about five years out of each of my last two what with increases in resolution and “smartness”. While obviously the panel tech will improve generally (particularly on brightness, it seems), the main vulnerability seems to be backing a losing HDR standard. I’ve got no real visibility on how that is going to pan out, though the BBC being behind HLG gives me some comfort.

[quote=“Ginger_Yellow, post:137, topic:120746, full:true”]While obviously the panel tech will improve generally (particularly on brightness, it seems), the main vulnerability seems to be backing a losing HDR standard. I’ve got no real visibility on how that is going to pan out, though the BBC being behind HLG gives me some comfort.
[/quote]
Forgive me if this is what you’re saying, but the B6 will actually lose out on two HDR standards: Advanced HDR by Technicolor and HLG. Looks like all other models in the X6 series will be upgraded to HLG, but the B6 was conspicuously absent from the announcement. Probably because of the different SoC than the rest.

Will it matter? Who knows? Standards war, yay.

Normally, I’d say wait and see for pricing and reviews on the X7s, especially to see if there have been significant improvements in motion processing, shadow detail, and uniformity (which, depending on your tolerance, could still be an issue with the X6 line).

But as I mentioned before, there has been at least one retailer on AVS Forums who said the X6s basically sold out over the holidays (in the US), so remaining inventory could be limited. Keep in mind that’s one retailer, but it’s a fairly respected one (Cleveland Plasma).

Me? I’m waiting. I think there will still be enough X6s to go around if the x7s don’t live up to the hype. But while that’s a risk I’m willing to take, I’m not sure I can comfortably recommend others to do the same.

There will also be a new entry to OLED this year, the Sony AE1, which might help drive the price of OLED down a bit. Maybe.

Justin,

I am in the market for a new A/V Receiver soon. Any idea if these new standards would have to be specifically supported to allow HDMI pass-through? If so, then I will probably wait for the new models to arrive.

Alex.