Omaha Steaks

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/tasting.asp?tastingid=17&iSeason=4

You will need to register (free) to view this. Also search for omaha on foodie sites like egullet, etc, they all agree with me. Omaha steaks are roughly mass market supermarket quality for 2-4X the price.

Of course taste is subjective. There’s no right or wrong. But if there were, I’d be right and you would be wrong.

ha most true, esp., with meats.

The only meat i like “rare and juicy” is Prime Rib at the Country Club, served with a tablespoon of horseraddish. Everything else has to be lean and well done. I can stomach a medium, of course, but well done, with a good charred outside, is definately preferred.

Omaha Steaks are not good enough, imo, just to eat raw, like some Kobe Beef might be (in theory); they really depend upon how you cook them. And they are so lean, relative to most grocery meat, if you pan fry them you’ll need to add some oil, and maybe even bacon if you grill - that is if you like your meat juicy.

Its perfect for the round steak. A cheap cut of meat that’s always on sale.

Course, I’m sure its fattening as all hell, since you’re supposed to fry the steaks in bacon grease.

It’s called chicken-fried steak. Hell I thought it was available everywhere.

It’s not bad if done right. Serve it on toast with some mashed potatoes and decent (white) gravy. Oh yeah.

— Alan

Ruths Chris: Pretty damn good steak with their 1800 degree ovens and nice cuts able to give you beef sushi.

Quattro at whistler. Their wine is Stupidly overpriced (I paid 40 for a bottle of 4$ wine), but their filet mignon is heavenly. Easily one of the best steaks I’ve ever eaten.

What if you’re poor and want a bunch of meat (to freeze)? Any option cheaper than the sueprmarket (besides roadkill)?

Be clear on this: any time you freeze any sort of meat, you are doing irreparable damage to the flavor of it. Frozen steak, chicken, or fish that is thawed and cooked will never, ever taste as good as a similar product that hasn’t been ruined by freezing.

Be clear on this: any time you freeze any sort of meat, you are doing irreparable damage to the flavor of it. Frozen steak, chicken, or fish that is thawed and cooked will never, ever taste as good as a similar product that hasn’t been ruined by freezing.[/quote]

Technically true, but won’t matter to most folks. Usually people aren’t going to cook a meat right to expose it’s full flavor anyway, or are going to cover the flavor with heavy seasonings/sauces. So warning people not to freeze meat is sort of like warning people to only use synthetic oils in their Porsche to prolong the life of the turbo. It’s correct, but irrelevant to 99.5% of the population.

Isn’t the cost pretty much the same when you compare buying a huge amount of meat to freeze versus shopping at the market? Timewise, it’s probably better to buy bulk and freeze.

Freezing won’t do much that would harm the average persons oppinion of the taste of a steak.

This is true, but if I’m going to pay $30 for a steak, I don’t want it frozen.

BTW, it is very likely that nobody reading this has ever eaten fresh shrimp. Shrimp are frozen immediately after harvesting, on the boat.

I won’t disagree with you on that point, but the idea that it completely destroys the meat and it’s no longer fit for human consumption is a little much. The higher quality meats should never be frozen if you’re going to pay that much for them.

It just goes to show that there is no topic too bizarre for someone to get snobby over it on an internet forum.

I bet if we had a thread about necrophiliacs we’d encounter people bragging about how they only bang 3-4 day old bodies and it’s ludicrous how most of the population doesn’t realize the degree rigor mortis really enhances sexual pleasure.

It just goes to show that there is no topic too bizarre for someone to get snobby over it on an internet forum.

I bet if we had a thread about necrophiliacs we’d encounter people bragging about how they only bang 3-4 day old bodies and it’s ludicrous how most of the population doesn’t realize the degree rigor mortis really enhances sexual pleasure.[/quote]

Not cool, Nick! After all, this is a thread about meat.

Yeah, I probably shouldn’t have posted that but I just couldn’t resist. You should have seen the much worse first draft that had discussion of frozen bodies. :twisted:

I’ve eaten fresh shrimp. Delicious. Also, pricey.

You have to buy it right, straight off the boat when they pull up. We did this when we lived in New Orleans. Besides the mess of cleaning fresh shrimp, the taste was not noticeably better, if anything more “fishy”. But I think at the time we were paying $2 a pound, so that was nice.

Chet

I have. Buy them live at the market to prepare at home, and at from the live tanks at better Chinese restaurants. Add to that list, live crab, live lobster, live fish. I would venture to say that butchering a cow, cutting off a ribeye and throwing it on a grill would taste better than Omaha, Ruth’s Chris, Morton’s, Flemings, Lobels, Smith&Walensy, etc.

Beef should be aged to allow the connective tissues to breakdown, making it more tender. Aging also tends to cause water in the tissues to evaporate which helps improve the flavour.

It’s not only tenderness and water loss, the bacteria also denature some of the proteins, changing the flavor entirely. Fresh beef tastes very different from properly dry aged. Surprising to see someone named chowhound say this… I always thought your name came from chowhound.com, but I guess not.

I’ve had fresh shrimp too, also at chinese restaurants. But only a couple of times, and the taste wasn’t noticeably better.