OMG, it's Animal Crossing on my phone! (Pocket Camp)

Released today, and wow, it is pretty! iOS and Android available now.

I’ve just created my character and chosen a theme so no gameplay impression yet, but it looks like the console and portable games on your phone. Free to play.

It’s pretty cute so far

Gah, no one likes websites that autoplay music, Nintendo. Geez.

I’m not far into it, but I can already see it’s got the typical free-to-play time-gated nonsense. I’m willing to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt, though. Their mobile games tend to be pretty fair with the monetization. And Animal Crossing is just so dang charming. I delivered some fruit to a guy, and then he invited me to eat the fruit with him. So he and I were just standing next to each other, grinning, with me holding a basket of fruit. It’s pretty hard to hate that.

Also, depending on your phone, this might be the highest-resolution Animal Crossing we’ll get for some time.

To be fair, actual Animal Crossing is all about time-gated nonsense too.

I’ve never played any Animal Crossing game before. Is this one good to start with? And is there enough to “do” in the game that doesn’t involve decorating your own house? I’m not as interested in that design element of the game as I would be about various activities you can do in the game.

I haven’t played the new one yet but for the others I always end up spending most of my time fishing, chilling and the occasional fossil hunt.

I’m digging it so far. Progressed to level 5. Now there’s this bird that wants me to convert my nice rustic campsite into a recording studio. Weird, but hilarious. I’ve never played any Animal Crossing before, just Stardew Valley, so I’m digging the aesthetic (which includes the great music). The only thing I’m wondering about is the whole friend situation. I’ve bumped into random people, mostly with Asian character names, that I’ve invited to friend (to get the stretch goals). None have accepted. [EDIT] Hey! I just found out that I can invite you guys, or you can friend me: my Nintendo ID is 1263 4122 896

I tend to not spend much on in-app purchases, but in this case I think I’ll throw Nintendo $1.39 CAD (I guess $0.99 USD?) for the Introductory/72-Hr. Time Limited IAP.

Friend request sent!

Mine is 2320 0734 064.

And accepted! I’m playing as Papacheepa, something my 4.5 year old son just started to spontaneously call me. Put some stuff into your Market Boxes so I can buy from you! :)

Jumping in, its cute, let’s work together! 6941 8673 891 “ssh4life”

Jon Danger on the camp.

Hit me up.

Any chance of this hitting the Amazon App Store? I’d rather play this on my Kindle Fire than on my phone.

I’d be shocked. Nintendo is very much about the money when it comes to mobile game development, and that means Android and iOS. The Fire tablets don’t even make a blip.

I’m gonna stream this, people seam to love Animal Crossing but I never got around to trying one, and I hate starting a game that everyone’s been playing for a long time because I feel like I’ll never catch up, but this fixes everything!

So is that your middle name?

Like.

It’s odd that I have to make a post to express my appreciation for a pun (and people have to read or skip it). I think it pollutes the thread when I really have nothing more to add than that sentiment.

I really hope a Museum DLC is in the works! Otherwise having a blast with this one!

Calelari 4525 6290 203

Will probably only play intermittently.

So nice to see and friend all of you! Now, one of today’s timed goals is to list 10 items in your Market Crates, so if you guys could help me out by buying items from my crates, I’ll be more than happy to return the favour!

That is predicated on being able to actually play the game. The connection errors are out of control following my first day (I guess people didn’t realize it launched a day early). I think they are in launch crush hell, and are waiting to see if they need to actually add server capacity.