One Deck Dungeon locks up its own dice

You weren’t kidding. Beat the dragon no problem on my first paladin try! Sadly, the game crashed at the moment I won, so I didn’t get my tick mark rewards.

I agree that the game is great, but I wouldn’t say it’s regardless of what someone else thought of it.

I noticed that all five hero models are women. I think that’s fantastic. Yeah, maybe I clicked some box that made that happen, but I hope not. I hope that’s the default.

Nope, all the character classes are women in the physical game too.

I only meant that the score Tom gave, which is very much a reflection of his feelings about it having played the physical game, shouldn’t necessarily deter folks that were interested in it.

That makes me happy. Thanks for telling me!

Ah, I see, and I agree that anyone who watches some video of gameplay and finds themselves interested should absolutely buy this game. It will not disappoint. In fact, for what it sets out to do, I can’t really see how it could be a better game design.

Archer felt op on first dungeon compared to my previous runs. probably just a combo of good luck and knowing what to do after failing a few.

Seems much harder with 2 heroes to me, is that the general opinion?

Agree. I own the physical game and moderately enjoyed it. But I’m absolutely hooked on this digital version. Last night I stayed up way too late (not until quarter to 3, but still late for me).

I agree with Tom that the game forcing you to place the shield dice first is an issue. But to me it is an annoyance that I quickly overlook. Everything else is first rate and highly addictive.

By the way, when the physical version came out, the fact that all the heroes were female prompted a hue and cry among certain types on BGG.

This podcast has a nice interview with the designer (and, iirc, they discuss the ‘all female’ furor).

http://tableforone.libsyn.com/table-for-one-episode-23-one-deck-dungeon-w-chris-cieslik

The rules for the regular game state you have to do the shield/armor boxes before placing dice anywhere else as well. Was this simply not how you guys were playing or am I missing something? Seems weird to be mad at a digital version of a game for following the rules of the boardgame. Like getting mad at a digital monopoly not having money for Free Parking

What we’re talking about is the ‘fiddling around’ where you try to visualize different options. In the physical game, I observe the rule of course, once I decide what I’m going to do. But I like to spend time placing dice first in different ways to see optimum placement. The shield squares can sometimes be covered in different ways – and so I may end up placing them last before ‘locking in’ my plan. In the digital game, I can’t do that.

I’m not sure my explanation makes sense, but we’re not ignoring the rule at all.

I believe Tom’s complaint is that if you have any non-shield dice placed, the shield dice can’t be removed from their boxes. There’s nothing to stop you from physically moving other dice to their boxes first (to make things easier when there is a lot going on), they just won’t slot into place.

Exactly. The way it should work* is you can put the dice wherever you want while the outcome box in the lower left updates. At a certain point, you’re good and you hit “submit” or whatever. If you haven’t satisfied the armor requirements, it could pop up with some rude message or whatever. “Hey, dummy, you didn’t fill that armor boxes!” That sort of thing. It’s one of the advantages of videogame ports of boardgames. They should be easier to manage, not harder.

In other words, how Obsidian’s Pathfinder Card Game port works.

-Tom

* according to the finicky Tom Chick Rules of Game Design, that aren’t as widely adopted as they should be…

It would make sense to have a toggle for that. The default behavior probably facilitates learning for new players (by eliminating confusion over why they are filling boxes but the consequences aren’t changing).

This please. It is exactly how I play the physical version of the game. Minus someone calling me a dummy. I call myself a dummy.

Tom please ring up the devs and tell them we need this. Thank you.

Also, I suck at this game. Or it is just very hard. Or both.

Though, the results wouldn’t update, with open armor boxes, would it? I suppose it could, but would that be more confusing?

I think swapping dice would work (a black 6 die for a 4 sword in a yellow box for instance), possibly?

You can contact Handelabra, through this form, and it should reach John Arnold, their main programmer.
He is pretty… direct, but in my experience, he really goes through the messages that are sent to him.

Edit: forgot the link, whoops.

Cool, thanks!

And now I’ve won with the Rogue, only to have the game crash again. At this point, I’m agreeing with Tom’s score.

Reminds me, I need to break this game out over the weekend and incorporate the expansion for the first time.

Ouch. I never had a single crash in the tabletop version. I’m just saying.

-Tom

A cat playing with your dice while you are playing counts as a crash. That never happened?