One does not simply walk into the high-def era with Battle for Middle-earth

Looks like people running the unofficial server can meet people’s needs.

Interestingly more people are playing the original BMFE than the other two combined.

i have my original dvds backed up as isos somewhere. now i have to load my humble bundle version of pro daemon tools.

In case anyone else needs…ahem…backups

You are a gentleman and a scholar, Brian.

Did you have any trouble getting it running? I had to manually create options.ini to get it running on Windows 10.

Nope, Windows 7 here, all ran right out of the box.

Ditto. Did a quick google search and did this dude’s first step and was up and running.

I have the discs of the base games (BFME 1 and 2) but where does one go to nowadays for patches–is the publisher still a good source, or the Patches Scrolls, or what?

Its not the anthology but still…

I LOVED these games. Had hundreds of hours of lan parties just with threse. Had much fun comp stomping the enemies. The factions played differently enough to be really entertaining. I miss my Rohirrim charge.

And just realized I have no idea where my discs are. Propably lost in a move :(

The riders of Rohan are the one thing I remember from originally playing. They could stampede foot units right?

They could stampede anything but pikemen. In the first game, there was no reason to ever build swordsmen. Everything not pikemen was instantly slaughtered by cavalry and swordsmen didn’t do any more damage to everything else than pikemen.

Mordor was an unfortunate joke. Every single thing in their arsenal was slaughtered by fire arrows.

The good factions got walls and comically overpowered heroes. The evil factions got…lumber mills?

Even though BfME2 had its own balance issues (*!%&$# eagles!), it was such a massive improvement that I can’t imagine why anyone would want to play the first game instead. The mechanic of forcing you to spread out your money making buildings for full efficiency was a brilliant thing to prevent turtling that I don’t know why it was never copied.

Oh wait, I do know why. The entire genre died :(

ARISE THREAD.

So today I used this thread:

To get all the files and step by step instructions I needed to run Battle for Middle Earth 1 and 2 in HD. The Rise of the Witch-King HD mod isn’t ready yet, sadly.

One thing the guide doesn’t say that to use RotWK, BFME2 needs to be set to the 1.06 patch rather than the 1.09 patch. The included programs include a patch-switcher to make that easy, FYI.

SO worth it you guys.

We can hope this actually does get released: