One is the loneliest number again in Dead Rising 4

Yeah every safehouse had a locker.

I think they all did, yes. But I only found one safehouse. Maybe I was missing something obvious, but after fighting the first boss it became night time and I didn’t find any safehouses in the area I was stuck in. So I only knew about the one or two in the first area where you start out, but none in the area I was in.

I see DR3 and DR4 as open world mayhem simulators.

The difficulty level is so very low in DR4 but I just have a blast running around exploring the very detailed world and … mayem-ing my way through in whatever way I desire.

Okay, I built the Christmas ornament grenade launcher and it plays jingle bells when the ornaments explode. I may have turned a corner on Dead Rising 4.

I’ve watched a few hours of the game on Twitch and I think this sums it up nicely. I just wish they had the sense to release it on steam now too. With the Christmas theme I would have bought it, but three months from now? Will likely wait for a decent sale, or maybe just wait till next December. All in all it seems like a great way to blow off some steam and just relax and have some fun.

I played the hell out of both DR2 and DR2OTR, and I’m a bit torn. I had more fun with the game when I was just out to do things in the game like random achievements rather than trying to beat the clock by killing a particular psycho before rather than after picking up a survivor. But, mastering the systems and the clock did feel like an accomplishment.

The RPS review is up and mirrors my thoughts on the game:

DR4 goes peak power fantasy right out of the gates, and though it tries to break through (with more angry human factions and some mega-monsters) it’s up against its own ceiling.

It’s gone too far in the other direction, basically. I definitely welcome non-nightmarish boss fights and a little more freedom to explore, but I wish there was more escalation, and a little more challenge – that it wasn’t just a matter of going wherever I please and killing a thousand of whatever I please. Hoovering up every blueprint or upgrade has become completism for the sake of completism, and reaching a new area feels inconsequential because I was already a god of death in the existing one. Unless you somehow invest in the thin story, there’s no real purpose here, only sandbox.

Yeah I’d get this for $20 but no more. I can’t believe they did away with the more dangerous night zombies from DR3, even!

I hope for DR5 they can come up with more interesting zombie fighting mechanics. I love exploring the world and the zombie rando-craft hijinks (I think I was almost able to get up to a 2k combo on zombie kills) but as much as I enjoy god mode, having literally zero chance of ever dying kinda sucks some of the longer term thrill from the game, once you kill your first thousand zombie combo.

Hell even in DR3 they had the football zombies, fire/police zombies, and a few others that at least mixed it up a a bit with the threats. That’s badly needed here.

Capcom shut down the studio today, which was the last vestige of the publisher’s strategy of outsourcing to western developers in the previous generation. I really loved Dead Rising 2, and I hope everyone lands on their feet.

Capcom’s main western studio is being shut down, the publisher confirmed today. Employees at Capcom Vancouver, which was primarily known for the Dead Rising series and was already hit by layoffs earlier this year, were told today that the studio is closing.

In a statement to Kotaku , a company rep noted that “as a result of reviewing titles in development at Capcom Vancouver, Capcom has decided to cancel the development projects at this studio and will concentrate development of major titles in Japan.”

According to Capcom, 158 people will lose their jobs due to the shutdown. “A skeleton crew will remain until January 2019 to finalize closure operations and logistics,” the rep said.