One of the people in Watch Dogs: Legion is going away ironically thanks to social media

Title One of the people in Watch Dogs: Legion is going away ironically thanks to social media
Author Nick Diamon
Posted in News
When November 6, 2020

One of the rare bits of humorous content in Watch Dogs: Legion that actually sticks the landing are the in-game podcasts and radio shows featuring dry British hosts commenting on the state of dystopian London..

Read the full article

It’s 2020. What you say in one medium will bite you in the ass in another. Not gonna comment on the substance of what was written on Ubi’s decision, as I have nowhere near enough info about what she wrote and I’m not interested enough to look it up. In general, though, companies gonna do what companies gonna do–it’s all about the Benjamins, understandably, and removing X from a game because Y group of buyers might not buy it is a business decision. We may disagree with it, but it’s usually not our money on the line, and in glorious capitalism, money talks and everything else walks.

I will say though that I try to drum into my students that what they put into their social media communications will follow them FOREVER.

I didn’t pay much attention to the in game podcasts and such. Sorry, your game world isn’t that interesting.

It’s funny how in British left wing politics questioning gender self-id gets you cancelled but unlawful racist intimidation and harassment doesn’t.

Similarly people on this forum are fine with Disney, who work with genociders, but don’t like Harry Potter games, because Rowling gets a small cut.

What’s the Disney-genocide connection? I confess, I’m not familiar with that one. Then again, I just assume all corporations are evil asshats.

Ah, gotcha. China sycophants are indeed a plague. Since the 18th century at least Americans and Europeans have been drooling over “if we could just sell one widget to every person in China.” Now it’s just been institutionalized and the result is pretty much giving China a political and economic blow job.

Walt disney himself was actaully a nazi sympathiser and made severel pro nazi films leading up to world war 2

If so, he was probably buds with Henry Ford, who also shared a fondness for goose stepping and anti-semitism.

They ate one of their own for not being pure enough. Did she wake up to how toxic the whole woke culture is, I wonder? Her “terf” article (2nd link) seems to point to “no”. Oh well.

Won’t someone please think of the poor TERFs, who always insist on doubling down until they’re indefensible?

I just learned that the second world war happened because of Walt Disney, among other interesting facts.
About time this forum went down to the level of the rest of the internet!

I think it’s funny that ubi has taken this content out, despite most likely being vetted by employees at ubi by several staff at least, but the scripted/designed random event of having a paedophile encounter in the world is left in, while I don’t find either too off putting, I think that both are part of the real world, you see many real world examples of both situations and personally I don’t think either should be removed, not many games convey a real world, despite trying to do so, people need to realise a game is a game and not real out side of the game, it’s refreshing to see this kind of content, making the game seem more real.

Helen Lewis is a very thoughtful and respected journalist. Her interview with Jordan Peterson involved a lot of considered push back, but also gave him the space to express his ideas.

Deplatforming people for not adhering to very narrow view points is harmful to public discourse. Fair enough if she mocked trans. people, or claimed they should be discrimated against and barred from accessing public toilets, but she didn’t. She may may be wrong in her assessment of identity, but controversial issues need to be discussed in a healthy society, so we can reach conclusions, that’s not possible if we continue to deplatform anyone who engages.

Also, I completely agree with comments regarding China. Millions of people are being sent to concentration camps, and software companies have no issue with kowtowing to the CCP, but will ban a journalist.

Seems a bit mad.

Forever?, no really. But can stay for a very long time.

For bad or for god, websites are shutdown, services removed, urls change. The internet slowly erode any information until is forgot.

Oh god, this game is still crashing a lot for me on Xbox One S.

Well, forever in human terms. That is, in your lifetime, what you put online will be around to haunt you. People snapshot stuff. There are backups and screenshots. If you are even mildly noteworthy, someone probably has archived things about you. So, I’ll stick with forever as a justifiable exaggeration. And remember, in the EU, you have a lot more privacy protections than Americans have, Here, private info is just another commodity.

Oh… I may,… have liveblogged all my adventures trying to get laid when I was teenager.

(you can’t find that info online anymore)

Edit:
But you are right, people can make screenshot or make it permanent other ways.

This is actually almost exactly what she did. For example, you know that UK self identification proposal she was railing against? Without that proposal, trans people there wishing to transition are stuck in a limbo for at minimum years, where they are legally obliged to live as their chosen but not afforded any bureaucratic let alone medical help doing so. Imagine the daily awkwardness, confusion, and occasionally outright hostility engendered by bureaucratic mismatch in every conversation with a bank, landlord, insurance, doctor, potential employer, and literally any person that needs to see your ID. If being in favor of that isn’t discrimination then I’m not sure what to call it.

Opposing the most radical proposal for change does not equate to opposing all proposals for change.