One problem I have with some Rockstar games

Early on, I felt the game was punishing me for acting in what seemed to be an honorable way but this loosened up over time. Perhaps because of my improved morality rating or fame. But I could plug evildoers without having to worry about consequences. It could be, if I squint my eyes and pretend, that this system simulates reputation overall. If local folk don’t know you then it doesn’t matter why you’re shooting somebody. You’re just dangerous. They’re not afraid of you, they’re not friendly to you, they just don’t trust you at all.

Of course, I have trouble with that because “local” reputation seems to encompass the entire game area. News travels fast and even across national boundaries (as do Pardons).

Several tabletop RPGs that deal with reputation differentiate between locales and factor in scale. You might have a local reputation in one town, a different one in another, and a completely different reputation in a region as a whole as well as with individual factions or organizations.

Here it seems the vasty world is one gossipy small town.

Usually I don’t really notice them or care that much; I’ve watched enough British comedy/cinema that most Britishisms sound normal to my ear, even though I don’t typically use them myself. However, the one that still really sticks out in my mind is that one mission in GTA3 where Tony Cipriani tells you to infiltrate that Triad factory by stealing a “dust cart.”

No one raised in the U.S. would ever say that, unless they were trying to sound British.

I can’t tell if you’re joking. But in that scene from STV, Spock does mispronounce marshmallow as marsh melon. Oh that wacky old Spock.

A “dust cart” instead of a garbage truck? Wow, I didn’t remember that one. That’s a doozy. In a case like that, it’s surprising to me that the voice actor doesn’t object, assuming it wasn’t a Brit who can pull off a convincing Italian-American New York mafioso accent, but I seem to remember that in GTA III they used big name actors like Robert Loggia and such.

BTW, in RDR, in subsequent scenes with this De Santa character, he at least pronounces Allende right (which begs the question, why didn’t they go back and re-record the other line?? Don’t these things generally happen in one recording session or two?). The guy who plays the colonel though obviously can’t speak Spanish for shit, nor can some of the other voice actors. They must have recorded those guys in Britain because there are probably myriad qualified voice actors in Southern California who could have delivered the lines right.

Heh, I always thought that was a mistranslation in the German version. Interesting to hear the original had that too.

ha! Really? Then I’m the idiot actually, and not the poor translator… I thought it was a mistake, since the movie was very very poorly translated in general

Nah, STV was just very very poorly written. In any language.