Onirim deals a little dream and still has seven more to show you

I’ve improved from the 10% rate I had up-thread to now at a solid 40% thanks to advice here on the thread. I also am working to get above 50%. I’d consider that a resounding success.

I think a key is constantly checking to see how many of what types/colors are gone to make more informed decisions.

Yep, when I finally decided I needed to check the discard pile once in awhile, I managed to break the 50% win rate. I think I’m at a 52% now…

for me I learned to value “Moons” more after I learned that each color has only 4 of them, and I use it now mostly to switch from sun to moon, so that can start a new series sun-x-sun

I think crossroads and deadends played as the only expansion makes the game a little bit easier, because the nightmares are thinned out a bit and after a while when your hand is full of deadends you can discard them with the next nightmare … so it feels a little bit more forgiving…

on the App my rate is currently 41 %

How do crossroads and deadends work? I’m really curious to know what the expansions add specifically.

they add 10 deadend cards to your deck and 6 crossroad cards. The crossroad cards act like wildcards (any color), but they have sun(3), moon(2) and key(1) on them
The deadend cards cannot be discarded as soon as you draw them. Only at the beginning of your move you can discard your complete hand to get rid of them and when resolving a nightmare, you can discard your hand to get rid of them)…

When you resolve a nightmare by revealing 5 cards, deadends go to limbo like doors and nightmares

iOS version has been updated to include the Glyphs expansion; it’s free but you have to register for an Asmodee account to unlock it.

Thanks for the heads up.

Asmodee also released Jaipur yesterday, which seems great in single-player, but apparently has some mp issues like other Asmodee releases.

No idea why, but this is free on iOS. They also added the glyphs expansion, which is free if you make an Asmodee account.

Free on Android as well, so I went ahead and grabbed it on both platforms.

I just grabbed and tried the 3 expansions available now for this, it is coming along very nicely.
The free Glyphs expansion sounds a bit like easy mode, or a way to balance out the game a bit: basically you get an extra card variety in each colour, but four extra doors to open to balance it out. What makes this easy mode is that the new card can be discarded to draw 5 cards, and if a door is amongst them, you can open it freely! It can make the end-game very easy.

The Door to the Oniverse one offers variety, while also being a sort of easy mode. Bunch of cards which you can save to use their power. It’s a nice theming.

But I think the real star amongst the ones available now is Crossroads and Deadends. It is a really nice twist to the game, offering both some leeway to deal with an old problem (the nightmares), while offering new challenges with cards that limit the freedom of your hand, and thus your flexibility setting it up to open doors.

As Tom described in his article, you can mix and match as you please.
This is a really, really nice game. I can’t wait for the remaining expansions to be released.

Also the game now sports scores and leaderboards.

I like the way they do the scoring, too. Breaking down your points with a few criteria, which gives you options for how to improve on your earlier scores.

It’s a nifty little port. I’m still partial to the physical cards, which are a lot of the design’s appeal for me, but I’m glad this is out there hopefully getting Torbey’s designs to a wider audience. Now bring on Nautlion, Sylvion, and Castellion! Maybe even Urbion!

-Tom

Thanks for bumping this. I played the Glyphs expansion (didn’t significantly increase my enjoyment of the basic game, which I played a LOT until I got hooked on RFTG). I’ll check out the others!

As there are sadly no friend management with the Asmodee account thing they use to track scores, I’ll throw the gauntlet with my own personal best of 9492 points, using all 3 expansions.

I picked this up recently, and it’s an awesome little time-waster. Glyphs and Crossroads are both solid expansions, and keep the game challenging, but the Oniverse seems a little gimmicky and disappointing so far.

It’s funny that you say you like the scoring, because I really dislike it. It creates weird incentives, and I hate being placed on a timer in order to “play well.” I also really get satisfaction out of those games where I am royally screwed by the draw, but somehow am able to battle back and scrap out a win. These games are inevitably low-scoring, even though they should be a testament to your skill.

Some dude wrote up a long thing about it which goes into more detail.

Minor quibbles, of course. The game is great, and you can totally ignore the score if you have the willpower.

I agree with his point about the black box of scoring the remaining cards, but I don’t on the incentivization: I like that the scoring mechanics emphasizes counter-intuitive gameplay. Sometimes I want to tackle that challenge, sometimes I just want to clear a board. It’s like the score attack in a shooting game, versus the standard linear play: another option to play the game using a slightly different set of rules.

Also, considering the range the scores go up to, the time reward is really a marginal one.

Yeah, I totally understand that. But I’ll just echo Rod’s comment above that I appreciate when a game offers me a reason to approach it differently. Kind of like achievements. I can ignore them when I feel like it, but otherwise, they’re an acknowledgement that I’ve tried something different. But I can see how the time limit might rub folks the wrong way. It’s oddly out of place to feel hurried while playing a relaxing little time-waster like Onirim.

I can’t tell if that’s a “some dude” like “asking for a friend” or a “some dude” like literally some dude. It’s the former, right? It can’t be a coincidence that writer has published a game called Prolix.

-Tom

Oh my god, that’s insane. I had no idea. Total coincidence – it ain’t me (seriously)!

A new update of the port came in, uniformizing purchases through the Asmodee octopus. Now you should be able to activate all the DLCs accross all versions (even iOS, until Apple notices it probably!).

They also made scoring optional and simplified the splash screen. Nice!