Online Backup Services

Huh. Thought it needed that 5 user minimum, i.e. $50/month. Or it needed shady dealings in buying existing accounts a la the descriptions from /r/datahoarder/

…seems to indicate 1TB not unlimited if you have less than 5 users?

Yes, it does indeed say that. But you get unlimited with one.

gdrive_space

Alright, thanks Stusser. I’ll give it a shot.

My old alumni email switched over to gsuite for education and guess what…unlimited drive space for FREE. I cancelled my amazon cloud drive and have moved 8.7TB over so far. I have about another 10TB to go.

Godfucking damnit. Backblaze doesn’t run on Linux, and furthermore the 30 day retention policy is shit anyways. Fuck. Looking like its going to be self-rolling stuff now. Also Arq doesn’t have a linux client. I want to be running this stuff headless damnit.

Apparently I do have Google Drive from alumni, and I wouldn’t necessarily be adverse to paying since I do have a domain, so that looks like what we’re going to run with. Just need to figure out specifics.

On reflection though, for a single computer, could think of it as a price raise from $6 to $10, with the inconvenience of having to re-upload everything.

Well there you go. Install Duplicati and backup to your GDrive. You just saved $50/year forever.

You will, of course, have to re-upload everything.

Arrrgggghhh. Crashplan’s service took way too much memory and likes to crash but it did work reliably for the most part and was cheap.

The G Suite seems ideal (except I am an actual O365 5+ family user/purchaser so uh redundant) but that not unlimited but unlimited makes me nervous. Very nervous actually. I paid for this in it’s previous incarnation before getting annoyed with them for everything from billing to dns changes.

Duplicati looks good. dotnet/mono based? Hrm. Would just run it in a docker on linux I guess so it doesn’t really matter.

I agree, the piece of shit java client was the worst part of Crashplan. Happy to get rid of that garbage.

If you have unlimited OneDrive, Duplicati and Arq can use that as a backup target too. It’ll backup pretty much anywhere, S3, GDrive, Dropbox, Backblaze B2, you name it. Yes it runs on mono, which is very well-behaved on linux these days.

Google could kill the unlimited GDrive one day, but since you’re getting it legitimately by paying them, they won’t rip away access to your files, they’ll just stop you from uploading more. So worst-case scenario you have to reupload somewhere else. But your 17TB or whatever is nothing to Google so they may just let us continue forever.

They did add this link about Linux to their letter to Crashplan users:

Yeah Backblaze B2 is a very affordable backend with Duplicati or Arq. If you’re backing up under a terabyte, it’s probably cheaper than an unlimited GDrive.

Note, Duplicaty and Duplicati are two different programs. I like the one ending in “i”.

Thanks for the advice about the .edu account business having unlimited Google Drive. I was a student at USF where I work now and everything is still configured for me. It took me a bit to find where they had it hiding at since I don’t think anyone uses anything in the suite here except mail, but I found it and there’s an unlimited drive just waiting for me. Time to back up everything there. Do you think it’s worth paying for Arq over Duplicati?

And in the meantime is Crashplan allowing partial refunds? I just paid the yearly renewal like 2 months ago.

Edit: found the answer in the FAQ

Q: Can I cancel my CrashPlan for Home subscription for a refund?
A: No. CrashPlan for Home subscriptions are non-refundable. We are honoring all of our commitments with all CrashPlan for Home customers throughout their subscriptions.

If you migrate to CrashPlan for Small Business, you can transfer the balance of your existing CrashPlan for Home subscription to your new CrashPlan for Small Business account.

If you switch to another backup provider before your expiration date, you will not receive a refund for any remaining time on your subscription.

Fuckers.

Edit2: Actually I just checked and it was renewing beginning of Sept which they extended to end of October. So yay for me. Got timing confused with a couple other yearly subscriptions I pay for.

The memory usage wasn’t due to Crashplan’s use of java. Trust me on this one.

Whatever the cause, their client was crap.

@arrendek: Nice! You’re all set then. I like Duplicati just fine. Be sure to get the v2.0 beta, the 1.3 version is positively ancient and doesn’t support block-based backups. Arq is also supposed to be really good, if you feel compelled to pay for something.

There are too many dupli* programs running around now.

https://duplicacy.com/
Ran across this one is looking very good too (CLI is free, GUI is $20 + $5 per year but under active development and limited to one backup set at the moment)

Yeah, Duplicacy came first, and Duplicati was a .Net/mono-based fork that eventually eclipsed the original. The featuresets are similar, Duplicacy supports block-based backups also, but Duplicati includes a GUI and is completely free. It will also send email on failed backups, etc, which I find essential.

I guess you could do that in Duplicacy too, but you would need to scrub logs in a crontab or something. Pain in the arse. And even worse on Windows where you’d need to work with task scheduler and powershell. Shudder.

Main advantage of Duplicacy is it does block-based deduplication across multiple backup sources, which can save tons of space if you have the same files backed-up from all your computers. But with unlimited space on GDrive, I don’t care about that-- I set my backups to NEVER expire.

Duplicity, probably oldest CLI tool (what you’re referring to?)
Duplicati, .Net/mono
Duplicacy, fairly new, written in GO, CLI/pay for GUI

I’m not too happy with my screwing around with Duplicati, the webpage GUI is very non-responsive and half the time settings don’t appear to be getting saved.

Yeah I was confused between Duplicity and Duplicacy. It really is hella-confusing!

Duplicati works fine for me. No issues with responsiveness. Shrug.

Once you have it setup properly, you only look at it when you get an email indicating a failed backup anyway. Which actually hasn’t happened yet for me, but I did test the email alerting by telling it to alert on successful backups also at first.

As I said, too many dupli* running around now!

Anyway, still have a few months to figure something out, so wait and see and try things out is the current approach.

Thanks to @stusser for the Dupli-version untangling and suggestion of Duplicati. And @ARogan for mentioning the alumni account. My alumni account is also on Google, so yup, free unlimited gdrive.

I’ve been on Backblaze for a few years, and absolutely no complaints. But free unlimited, roll your own backups is awfully tempting…

Anyone use CloudBerry Backup?

I am trialing Backblaze B2 with Duplicati, but Duplicati just seems to provide no damn feedback, particularly with regards to upload speed/projected time. I’ve tried both in a Docker container directly on my Unraid box and natively on Win10 - it just sits at ‘completing backup’ or ‘waiting for upload’ for-fucking-ever. I presume it is doing something, namely uploading, cause it seems to kill net connection (un-throttled at this stage, but just testing), but I need more feedback than that.

I was hoping to run something on the file server and Duplicati/Cloudberry both have easily installable docker options…

Seems I can address network locations with an easy workaround with Carbonite as well. I don’t really need the flexibility that full roll-your-own offers, so that would probably do the trick, even if I don’t get to shift the workload to the fileserver.

Anyone switch to Carbonite?