Only proles fear outsourcing!

John Dvorak quotes a statement by Cypress CEO TJ Rodgers, originally published in March by EE Times:

The Cavalier Comment of the Month goes to T.J. Rodgers of Cypress Semiconductor, who was quoted in EE Times as saying: “The clamor against outsourcing is low-class, a diatribe. In general, the world is much better off when people are working at the skills they are good at. India is one of the most skilled in software, so it is right for the world to buy Indian software.”

Hmm, I wonder what Indian software he’s talking about. Office? Notes? Windows XP? Linux? SAP? Oracle? What exactly?

What interests me most about the Silicon Valley executive elite is how generally callous they are about all this. Instead of showing even fake sympathy for the American engineers who made them filthy rich, they instead make comments about how it’s all such “low-class” clamor. “Daphne, would you pass the chardonnay, please? More caviar?”

What interests me is why Dvorak waits almost two months to comment on that statement…

It’s also worth noting that Cypress did not axe any American jobs due to the Indian investment discussed in the article, so they aren’t “outsourcing” in the strict sense. That “India is one of the most skilled at software” sure made me laugh, though. Yeah, I bet quality is the only reason why programming gets outsourced to India!